Asbestos-Containing Materials in Campus Buildings
This provides notification to the University community that there may be a presence of asbestos-containing materials (ACMs) in campus buildings. Annual notification is required by California Health & Safety Code 25915 etcetera. ACMs identified in various campus buildings include: fireproofing, floor tile & mastic, pipe insulation, ceiling acoustic, ceiling tile mastic, wallboard joint compound, etcetera.
The University is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy learning and work environment. The University’s Risk Management and Physical Plant staff conduct ongoing building surveys to identify and safely manage previously installed asbestos-containing products. Renovation of buildings on our campus must be reviewed in advance by Physical Plant staff to ensure that no ACMs are disturbed without proper safeguards. Work that requires removal or repair of ACMs is restricted to trained and qualified persons only. Physical Plant will need to approve the qualified contractors.
"All renovations of campus buildings must be reviewed in advance by Physical Plant staff to ensure no ACMs are disturbed without proper safeguards and to ensure the University's Compliance with Building Codes, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and to ensure the renovations conform to the University's Standards."
All such reviews of renovations by Physical Plant are free of charge.
Use the following measures to protect you and others from exposure to airborne asbestos:
- Presume all building materials contain asbestos until determine otherwise by Physical Plant.
- Do not install walls, closets, cabinets, ceilings.
- Do not remove, cut, drill, sand, grind or otherwise disturb any material in the buildings, including carpet and floor tile.
- Do not paint (this includes any walls, ceilings, floors and electrostatic painting of office furniture).
- Do not remove any items nailed or screwed to the walls (this includes pictures, cabinets, electrical, etc.).
- Do not go above ceilings, behind walls or into building spaces such as attics and crawlspaces unless these areas have been inspected and cleared by Physical Plant.
- Do not pull cable or wiring through above-ceiling spaces with asbestos.
- Do not install screws, pins, nails or hangers into asbestos ceiling or wall plaster.
- Be careful not to damage walls, ceilings or floors when moving furniture or equipment. It is recommended that the Physical Plant be contacted prior to moving furniture or equipment.
- Do not brush, sweep or vacuum textured asbestos ceiling plaster or plaster debris.
- Immediately report any damage or deterioration of suspect building materials to Physical Plant or Risk Management.