What to do:
- Secure the immediate area – whether classroom, bathroom, or office.
- Treat the injured
- Un-securing an area
- The shooter will not stop until his objectives have been met, unless engaged by law enforcement
- Consider the risk exposure created by opening the door
- Attempts to rescue people should only be made if that can be done without further endangering the persons inside a secured area.
- The shooter may bang on the door and yell for help to entice you to open the door
- Remember the safety of the masses versus the safety of a few
- If there is any doubt to the safety of the individuals inside the room, the area needs to remain secured
- Doors, Windows, Openings, and Noise
- If you find yourself in an open area, immediately seek protection
- Put something between you and the shooter
- Is escape your best option?
- Do you know where the shooter is?
- Is escape immediately available?
- If in doubt find a safe area and secure it the best way you can