February 25, 2014
Institutional Priorities Committee
Minutes of February 25, 2014
3:00pm - 5:00pm
DeRosa Center Room 211
Present: Atterbury, Cavanaugh, Day, Fox, Gale, Gutierrez, Hein, Kleinert, Luu, Lyon, Meyer (Chair), Pallavicini, Perrot, Rogers, Shaw, Staniec
Absent: Arnold, Eibeck, Lackey, Leland, Martin, Murta
Call to Order: 3:00pm
Minutes for the February 11, 2014 meeting were approved.
FY 15 Report and Recommendations
Meyer reviewed the IPC's FY 15 report and recommendations to President Eibeck. Meyer was directed to produce two reports, one for President Eibeck with confidential and proprietary information and one for public distribution. The recommendations will be shared with the Pacific community at the March 4 IPC open forum in Grace Covell Hall.
Tuition Remission Policy report
Meyer presented the work of the ad hoc sub-committee on Tuition Remission. The task force found that Pacific's current tuition remission program is uncompetitive with peer institutions, and that the administrative review understated benefits and over-estimated the costs of tuition remission as the discount itself.
In addition to recommending retaining the Tuition Remission Program, the task force recommended the following policy changes which should increase net tuition revenue to the University, while enhancing benefits to employees. These changes should apply to current and new employees and be implemented as soon as practicable, most likely implemented in 2014-15 for fall 2015 enrollment:
- Application for external grants should be incentivized by revising policy V.J. to read that tuition remission can be combined with other scholarships and grants up to 100% of tuition, instead of the current limit of 90% of tuition.
- An application for financial aid should be required for tuition remission. Faculty and staff with qualifying incomes should be required to apply for CalGrants.
- The policy should add a statement about the potential taxability of tuition remission for graduate programs.
Future Agenda Items
- Financial aid/tuition financial strategy
- Scannell and Kurz will be invited to speak to the IPC on March 11
- Strategic Investment Fund
- OIT budget