December 21 2000
Institutional Priorities Committee
December 21, 2000
Present: Benedetti, Brock, Chambers, Fox, Gilbertson, King, Kruger, Meer, Myers, Oppenheimer, Peterson, Stark
Absent: Cavanaugh, Kirkland, Lundergan
- Meeting convened by the Provost at 12:10 p.m. and minutes of meeting of December 14, 2000 were approved with correction (Peterson was absent).
- Provost reported that the one time request by Meer to update the alumni mailing list will be funded. That item should not be considered when working out priority list.
- Cavanaugh, the Provost and the President discussed Cisco one time purchase versus 3 year payments. Cavanaugh raised question - is there a need to replace the full network? Bob Paulson will prepare a brief. The target is to reach an agreement by the January 12, 2001 Board meeting. The difference is $750K vs $1.2M.
- Provost reported that the Biological Sciences structure is being built. All equipment will be portable. It is proposed that Biology expands into the new structure.
- Provost reported that an architect has been selected and we are in the design phase for the South Gym. It is proposed to be a 3 court facility.
- During discussion of the Physical Plant costs noted in OISR budget for residence hall connectivity, a question was raised for Cavanaugh - what is the Physical Plant total cost? Need to check total number of closets, the Quonsets are still on the list.
- Macro budget draft should be available from Cavanaugh, but should not be needed until mid-January. The first step is to establish a priority list (without knowledge of budget). The second step will be to tier the priorities.
- All IPC members should send Fox their rankings before January 4th meeting. Lydia will provide a list of one-time and on-going requests by code/number.
- It was noted that the staff request is within the Finance request. A separate code for Salary Compensation can be added.
- Discussion of OISR budget followed.
- Some items are locked in at this time. We have committed to the SunRay project, but the question as to whether to replace the entire network has not be resolved.
- Smart Classrooms - also on the Academic Budget (delete from OISR budget). This is also a fundraising item - Parents Program.
- Point 9 - UPS must be purchased, moved to FY01. Also, 19K of Change Management moved to FY01.
- Provost noted Tier 2 items not funded
- Business Faculty position
- Pharm Chem Grad Program Marketing Staff position
- Brubeck Institute for 2 years beginning last year (no discussion on this)
- Part-time faculty salary increase, not submitted this year
- Meeting was adjourned at 2:00 p.m.