January 9 2007
University of the Pacific
Minutes, January 9, 2007
Library Community Room
Call to Order: 2:07 p.m.
Present: Brodnick, Byl, Cavanaugh, Cox, Dobbs, Dodson, Frederick, Fries, Griego, Itaya, King, Lackey, Leland, Perro, Schmidt, Spreer
Not Present: Ellison, Ensign, Gilbertson, Sina
Special Guests: Christine Manolakas, Cindy Ostberg
Minutes: Minutes of the December 12th meeting were reviewed and approved.
Standing Reports: n/a
Current Agenda Items:
Pre-Law Accelerated Program
Manolakas and Ostberg provided a thorough overview of the initiative. The eventual goal will be to channel students interested in law school through three years of undergraduate work and three years of law school. Eventually up to 60 new students may enroll. The program will provide distinctive 1-unit courses and co-curricular activities.
Goals of the Program:
1. Increase undergrate enrollment & attract Honor Students
2. Provide personalized learning experiences
3. Strengthen ties between Stockton and Sacramento campuses
4. Develop key relationships between students and Pacific alumni
5. Build stronger connections with Stockton's legal community
There are other schools that have 3+3 schools, but they are under enrolled. This program will help rank us and compete with other schools that students look at to apply to. This program is not as rigid as Pre-Pharm. The program may not be as successful as Pre-Pharm, but if they can get six new students, it would cover the expenses to start up and maintain this program.
Byl presented budget requests for 2007-08 as listed.
1. Enhance Donor Stewardship Efforts
2. Donor Recognition Program
3. Two new staff members for data entry
4. Closing Gala
5. Funding to mail Honor Roll to all 50K Constituents
6. Pacific Passage Weekend
7. Alumni Club Funding
8. Coordinator of Student and Young Alumni Programs
9. Young Alumni Program - Operating Budget
10. School and College Event Funding
11. Corporate and Foundation Relations
12. Regional Events Funding
13. Pacific Fund Marketing Firm for Branding
14. Pacific Fund Operating Expenses
15. Two New Staff Members for Pacific Fund
1. Budget for Repair and Replacement of Technology
2. Consulting Support to Improve Banner usage prior to next campaign
3. Optical Imaging
International Programs & Services Budget Presentation
1. One salaried position focused on Recruiting
1. Place ads in American Colleges and Universities and websites
2. Increased Recruitment Travel Funds
Proposed Program Review
College of the Pacific: Political Science
1. Heighten Academic Distinctiveness: Learning assessment program that promotes teaching and learning excellence
2. Strengthen Competitive Positioning: Pre-Law Advising and a competitive 3+3 program
Thomas J. Long School of Pharmacy and Health Schiences: Pharm. D.
1. Heighten Academic Distinctiveness:Excellence in preparing practice-ready professionals
2. Strengthen Competitive Positioning:The University supports competitive salaries and appropriate operating support for the school.
3. Build Upon Financial Strength: Implement a cost-effective enrollment plan that emphasizes selectivity and improved retention
Next meeting: Tuesday, January 23rd, 2007, 2 - 4 p.m. in the Library Community Room.
Meeting adjourned at 3:55 p.m.