June 19 2007
University of the Pacific
Minutes, June 19, 2007
Library Community Room
Call to Order: 2:12 p.m.
Present: Cavanaugh, Cox, Dodson, Frederick, Ensign, Gilbertson, Itaya, King, Lackey, Perrot, Schmidt, Spreer
Not Present: Brodnick, Byl, Dobbs, Ellison, Fries, Griego, Leland
Minutes: Minutes of May 22nd approved provisionally. Correction with FY09 and staff merit increases.
Current Agenda Items:
The following were comments and suggestions to the below documents for FY 09/10.
Planning Guidelines for FY09/10
3. Revenue Generation:
a. Tuition rates- Cavanaugh explained that net revenue is one of the components in deciding tuition rates. There is a misunderstanding between gross and net tuition's. Positioning Pacific to charge competitive tuition fees in relation to other private California schools is an important issue.
b. Creating new revenue sources – Revise with ‘establishing’ or ‘additional’
f. This is under review per Gilbertson.
g. The word “energize” was not favored. Preferred words like ‘enhancing’ or ‘strengthening’.
h. This item will be removed.
Budget Assumptions for FY 09/10
1. Enrollment: Will invite Tom Rajala to discuss the Enrollment Plan for 2010. Will also restructure the first sentence.
2. Tuition and Fees: Repeat here emphasizes importance with more detail and benchmark as well. It was suggested to update the language within the paragraph. Remove the word ‘critical’ and focus on enhancements.
3. Will revise and include the percentage of undergraduates and place a statement on this point.
4. Unit Operation Budgets: Retain.
5. Endowment: Removed.
6. Operating Reserve: Retain.
7. Faculty and Staff Compensation: Need to add a clause regarding the Stockton campus and the issue of standard/minimum percentage increase.
7b. Retain. Cavanaugh discussed indexing regarding the health benefits. Gilbertson will review and edit.
8. Incentive Programs: Will combine items 8 and 11.
9. Facilities: Need to fund deferred maintenance over the next 3-4 years.
10. Debt Capacity: Retain.
Meeting adjourned at 3:55 p.m.
Next meeting: Tuesday, June 26, 2007, 2 - 4 p.m. in the Community Conference Room.