March 21 2006
University of the Pacific
Minutes, March 21, 2006
Taylor Conference Room
Call to Order: 2:09
Present: Brennan, Brodnick, Chi, Ensign, Frederick, Gilbertson, King, Kreitzman, Leland, Pearson, Sexton, Sina, Spreer, Vierra
Not Present: Byl, Cavanaugh, Lackey, Miller, Perro
Minutes: Minutes of the March 7 meeting were reviewed, corrected, and approved.
Current Agenda Items:
Final Budget Recommendations to the President
Gilbertson informed the Committee that the President has requested some changes in wording. The budget will be posted on the IPC website and an Enews distributed to the university community with any feedback due within a week.
Review of Synopsis of Community Meeting Feedback
Brodnick presented the synopsis of the community meetings which concluded last Tuesday, March 14 with the Dental School. It was clarified that the internal community (students, faculty, staff, Regents, close alumni) are the primary audience. Brodnick noted that two potential new commitments mentioned by a majority of the groups were:
- tradition, pride, alumni
- accountability, commitment to achieving this plan, continuous improvement
After a lengthy discussion, Brodnick will present comments and updates to the drafting team on Wednesday, March 22 and Friday, March 24. An updated version will be presented to IPC prior to the next meeting.
Suggestions to Drafting Team
- The document needs an introduction (details provided, clarify the audience, introduce sections, etc.) and the transitions between sections need to be strengthened.
- Three core values (Close student-faculty, Rigorous personalized learning, and Student centeredness) need significant improvement. Other values have edits to their text.
- Add shared governance and integrity to the foundations, other minor edits necessary.
- Several of the aspirations need attention and reworking, diversity specifically.
- No new commitments are to be added at this time. Work traditions-alumni and accountability into the text of the document.
- Amend commitments two and three to make them more clear and have less overlap.
- Other edits in the synopsis based on the community feedback are generally supported and to be considered in the next draft.
Next meeting: April 4, 2006, 2-4pm
Meeting adjourned at 4:05