March 4 2004
University of the Pacific
Minutes, March 4, 2004
Taylor Conference Room
Call to Order: 3:10
Present: Brodnick, Cavanaugh, Gilbertson, Hoverstad, Jones, King, Meer, Miller, Olson, Perro, Richmond, Sina, Spreer
Not Present: Chi, Hanyak, Jacobson, Ensign
Guests: Dean Elizabeth Parker, Mary Lou Lackey and Jon Longlois from the Law School
Minutes: Minutes of the February 19 meeting were reviewed and approved.
Current Agenda Items:
Law School FY05 Plan and Budget
Parker opened her presentation giving the number of ABA schools in California, which is 19, and 187 nationwide. She also made mention of the following:
- Applications up 33% since 1999.
- McGeorge 4th in California.
- Faculty are excellent. McGeorge is known for their international faculty.
- Programs are service oriented.
- Courses available in Salzburg going on 30 years and doing well.
- We have an office in Washington D.C. that is beneficial and keeps us in touch with alumni.
- Currently, McGeorge has 2 state-of-the-art classrooms.
Parker also discussed plans to improve faculty.
- Hire high caliber individuals.
- Provide salary and benefits increases.
- Increase stipends.
Parker noted that infrastructure at McGeorge is very 60's/70's. Classrooms and the Library are in critical need of improvements. Sprinklers need to be installed throughout the campus and the Web site needs a new design.
She also stated that tuition is up 5.5%. Tuition discount is at 18.6% and the attrition rate is 13%.
Summary Conversations on Budget
Perro distributed a draft of the master list of requests, Recommended Expenditure Adjustments for FY04 and Budget Recommendations for FY05. Both Perro and Cavanaugh discussed.
Gilbertson stated that the President reiterated the use of the eight priorities within the planning and budget initiatives and recommendations.
Brodnick provided copies of the Matrix distributed by Gilbertson. The two options for the Prospective Student Portal are Liquid Matrix and SCT Banner.
Gilbertson also mentioned that Pacific is the only school among competitors where students can apply online at no charge.
Next meeting: March 18, 2004
Meeting adjourned at 5:10