November 2 2000
Institutional Priorities Committee
Taylor Conference Room
November 2, 2000
Committee Members Present: Brock, Cavanaugh, Fox, Gilbertson (chair), King, Kirkland, Lundergan, Meer, Meyers, Oppenheimer, Peterson, and Stark.
Approval of Minutes: The minutes of the October 26, 2000 meeting were approved as revised.
- The committee reviewed the Budget Recommendations of the Staff Resource Committee. The recommendations were the result of a survey originating in Pat Cavanaugh's office. Though late for consideration this year, the Staff Resource Committee would still like their recommendations considered in case of a budget surplus. Otherwise, they remain valid for future deliberation. Not necessarily in priority rank, the Staff Resource Committee considers the first three of most importance. It was suggested the Budget Recommendations of the Staff Resource Committee, along with those of the Academic Council, be forwarded to the President and Regents.
- The committee established a tentative calendar for Budget Request presentations.
Nov 2 Public Safety
Nov 9 Finance/OISR
Nov 16 Athletics/Student Life
Nov 30 Academic
Dec 7 Academic
Dec 14 Advancement
- The committee considered two drafts of a new Vision Statement. It was felt they departed too greatly from the memo of September 21, 2000. John Meyers agreed to write a new version in that spirit. The question was raised whether a Vision Statement should be restricted by a given time frame.
- The committee suggested the following changes to the proposed Planning Priorities.
III. A. Expand the University commitment to diversifying administration, faculty, staff, students, and programs.
B. Develop and implement a national marketing plan, emphasizing national student recruitment and fund raising institutional visibility.
C. Expand Advance and integrate information technology into curricular, co-curricular and administrative programs.
D. Refine and implement a comprehensive facilities and maintenance plan, with special attention to recreation space, residence halls, and academic buildings.
- John Stein presented the Budget Requests from the Division of Public Safety.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:00.