October 12 1999
University of the Pacific
Institutional Priorities Committee
Minutes of the IPC meeting on 12 October 1999
Taylor Conference Room
Attending: Benedetti, Brock, Cavanaugh, Chambers, Fox, Gilbertson (Chair), Gluskin, KruegerDevine, Myers, Oppenheimer, Stein
Not Attending: Fletcher
I. Convening of Meeting and Approval of Minutes: The IPC meeting was convened by Dr. Gilbertson at 3:00 p.m. The minutes of the October 5, 1999 meeting were approved as submitted.
Dr. Gilbertson announced that the grants accountant position has been filled. The position for a grants coordinator remain vacant, and a new search is being commenced.
1. Pat Cavanaugh distributed and discussed a draft of the UOP Stockton Campus Unrestricted Funds Budget through September 30, 1999.
2. The Committee completed its discussion of the program review of the School of Education. Dr. Gilbertson pointed out the many fine programs in the School of Education. The Committee discussed the fact that the University does not support the School of Education’s operating budget, which is funded out of the School’s endowment. Although this arrangement is a source of concern for some, Dr. Gilbertson pointed out that the School’s financial success in this regard is a model to which other units can aspire. The Committee also discussed the scholarship program in the School of Education for graduate students. The Committee also addressed the opportunity for the School of Education to become a leader on campus in the use of technology to supplement teaching. Finally, the Committee discussed the important role the new dean will play in planning for the competitive future of the School of Education.
3. Dr. Gilbertson initiated a discussion of classroom utilization. A study of this subject is underway in the Registrar’s Office. This study will assist the University in planning efficient classroom utilization.
4. Pat Cavanaugh initiated a discussion of facilities needs. The committee discussed the importance of prioritizing items for purposes of planning one or two bond issues.
5. The Committee continued its discussion of the program review of the School of Business. In particular, the Committee discussed: (a) the need to clarify the MBA program, (b) the student faculty ratio in the MBA program, (c) the classroom space needs of the School of Business.
6. The Committee continued its discussion of UOP’s stature as a national university. The Committee discussed comparison schools. The Committee emphasized the importance of focusing on ways in which UOP is unique.IV. Adjournment - Dr. Gilbertson adjourned the meeting at 5:00 p.m.