October 16 2003
University of the Pacific
Minutes, October 16, 2003
Taylor Conference Room
Call to Order: 3:05
Present: Brodnick, Cavanaugh, Chi, Gilbertson, Hanyak, Hoverstad, King, Meer, Olson, Perro, Richmond, Sina, Spreer
Not Present: Jacobson, Jones, Ensign, Miller
Minutes: Minutes of the September 18 meeting were reviewed and approved.
Current Agenda Items:
Finalize FY04-05 Budget Assumptions and Planning Guidelines
Gilbertson opened with a discussion on the 04-05 Budget Assumptions and Planning Guidelines which are outlined below.
- Proposals will be evaluated in relation to the University's top eight priorities.
- Identify and promote hallmarks of teaching, scholarship and learning excellence in the College of the Pacific and in each professional school.
- Expand the commitment to diversifying students, faculty, and staff.
- Develop and implement marketing plans t emphasize national and international student recruitment and to elevate institutional visibility.
- Advance the integration of information technology into curricular, co-curricular and administrative programs.
- Refine and implement a comprehensive facilities and maintenance plan, with special attention to academic buildings, residence halls, and recreation space.
- Implement a cost-effective enrollment plan that emphasizes selectivity and improved retention.
- Increase financial support for endowments and facilities.
- Improve alumni and annual giving.
- IPC will consider strategic, multi-year projects/programs that may have major institutional impact and may involve more than one division.
- Proposals that are limited in scope and resource needs will be evaluated by the Cabinet.
The following are the budget assumptions presented in the outline.
- Tuition and Fees
- Gift Income
- Unit Operating Budgets
- Operating Reserve
- Faculty and Staff Compensation
Perro distributed the budget calendar for the year.
CRC Program Review
Sina reviewed the results of CRC's program review.
- CRC has gone through some major changes seeking improvement.
- Level of Service
- Two new initiatives were implemented this fall.
- Student Expo: Approximately 450 students attended this August event designed to make job searching much easier.
- Met Your Future: CRC staff programmed a two week series of events where students got to meet with community employers to review resumes and perform mock interviews.
- The Employer Development Coordinator position is being transferred to the CRC in January to help increase alumni clientele which currently stands at 10%.
Brodnick presented the results of the College Student Experience Questionnaire (CSEQ) survey.
- The survey was administered to students online fall 2002.
- Pacific had a 40% response rate.
- In most categories, Pacific rated at or above the norm with very positive results.
Log on to the Planning and Research web site for complete results.
Next meeting: October 30, 2003
Meeting adjourned at 5:04