October 30 2003
University of the Pacific
Minutes, October 30, 2003
Taylor Conference Room
Call to Order: 3:07
Present: Brodnick, Hoverstad, Jacobson, King, Miller, Olson, Perro, Richmond, Sina, Spreer
Not Present: Cavanaugh, Chi, Gilbertson, Hanyak, Jones, Ensign, Meer
Guests: Jean Purnell
Minutes: Minutes of the October 16 meeting were reviewed and approved.
Current Agenda Items:
FY04 Budget Adjustments
Perro distributed copies of the updated calendar for FY05 and the budget outlook for FY04 that was approved by the Board.
Academic Unit Program Reviews
Purnell presented program review panel reports for the Art Department, Gender Studies, School of International Studies and Office of International Programs and Services.
The Provost's Office proposed the following recommendations for the Art Department:
- Reallocate resources to core curriculum and reaffirm accreditation with deletion of Art History.
- Implement learning assessment programs at both program and course levels.
The Provost's Office proposed the following recommendation for Gender Studies:
- Develop a strategic plan to address the goals for curriculum development, learning assessment, collaborations with other programs, and university-wide programming to support liberal learning and diversity.
The Provost's Office proposed the following recommendations for SIS:
- Add a faculty position to add breadth to curriculum.
- Develop a plan to provide for the study of less commonly taught languages.
- Provide faculty development opportunities in international education for all University faculty.
- Provide intercultural training for University faculty, staff, and students.
- Enhance facilities to support the School's growing programs and partnerships.
- Pursue new international partnerships for the University.
The Provost's Office proposed the following recommendations for the Office of International Programs and Services:
- Provide Study Abroad, exchange programs, international student services and support services for faculty and staff.
- Increase support services and programming for international students.
- Increase participation in Study Abroad programs at reduced cost.
Next meeting: November 20, 2003
Meeting adjourned at 3:57