December 21 2004
University of the Pacific
Minutes, December 21, 2004
Tower Conference Room
Call to Order: 3:04
Present: Brodnick, Gilbertson, Hoverstad, Jacobson, Miller, Richmond, Sexton, Sina
Not Present: Cavanaugh, Chi, Dugoni, Ensign, Fries, King, Meer, Perro, Lackey
Special Guest: Lisa Dobbins
Minutes: Minutes of the December 7 meeting were approved.
No reports were made.
Current Agenda Items:
Budget Presentation: Academic, cont.
Discussion of the funding requests continued for the following categories:
- General Education
- Scholarship & Fellowship Advisor
- Diversity Initiatives
- Engineering Growth Support
- Faculty Salary Plan for PHS & BUS
- Library Acquisitions
Four additional handouts were distributed and reviewed:
- FTES Generated graphics -- these depicted the growth of instructional activities within the academic units. Attention was drawn to the large growth in the Engineering program.
- Application fee waivers -- the proposed $60 paper fee and $30 electronic fee were discussed.
- Office of Admissions budget summary -- five year trends in actual and budgeted dollars were reviewed.
- The cover sheet for the academic requests was amended since the last meeting, adjusting the dollars for the salary gaps between the PHS and BUS actual salaries and their markets.
Gilbertson led the discussion of the following points as the budget presentation continued:
- Scholarship and Fellowship Advisor. This item appears again on the request. Support was noted from the Council of Deans.
- Diversity initiative. The final report of the Irvine Foundation highlighted the need to integrate diversity in the curriculum. There was general committee support for the item. A question was raised about the source of control of $30k in discretionary dollars; should that be managed by financial aid.
- Library Acquisitions. National comparison data show library spending at Pacific at 3.3% as a proportion of E&G dollars, below the 4% rule of thumb.
The academic budget presentation will be continued at the next meeting with a focus on General Education and Mentor.
Next meeting: January 11, 2005, 3-5pm
Meeting adjourned at 4:16