May 2 2002
University of the Pacific
Institutional Priorities Committee
Minutes, May 2, 2002
Taylor Conference Room, Library
Attending: Benedetti, Brock, Cavanaugh, Gilbertson (Chair), KruegerDevine, Lundergan, Olson, Oppenheimer, Sina, Spreer, Stark
- Minutes: The minutes of the April 11 meeting were discussed and approved.
- David Brock will be leaving Pacific at the end of May to teach at Texas Christian University. This is a loss for Pacific but we wish him all the best!
- President DeRosa has re-appointed Pat Spreer to IPC. Dean Miller will be appointed as the second Dean for IPC, as Dean Benedetti's term will be completed.
- Academic Council supports the continued inclusion of King on IPC.
- Reports: Cavanaugh provided IPC with a copy of Moody's report about Pacific's upgrade from an A3 to an A2 rating. The report discusses Pacific's strengthened enrollment stability, operating performance, growing financial reserves and recent fundraising success.
- Discussion Issues:
- Program Review: Dining Services review was completed in the fall and the report will be forwarded to all IPC members for information. The Counseling Center review will be complete at the end of Spring semester. The Athletic Department review has not been initiated at this time.
- MVP Booklet: It was noted that the new MVP booklet is going to print with some minor edits. An adjustment to the enrollment plan as discussed by Rajala and based on consultation with the Regents has been made to reflect a conservative growth plan while increasing the academic profile of incoming students. Also, specific goals for both advancement and undergraduate assessment were included. A long discussion then ensued regarding the need to include a specific statement in our listed priorities addressing the need to enhance operational budgets. As the MVP is the planning document used for budget decisions, opinions differed on whether the implication of increasing budgets as needed was as strong as a written statement. There was also discussion as to whether the MVP would then have to go back to the campus community for further discussion on new language. However, some campus members stated this as a need during the last year's presentations of the new MVP. Feedback regarding language and placement in the document was provided for Gilbertson to take back to the President.
- Budget Review Schedule: Perro provided the committee with a draft of a budget-planning calendar for the next year's IPC. Included was a suggested method and proposed format for each division and unit to request monies. preliminary suggestions were made including moving the initial date of budget requests to early October rather than mid-October. Discussion will continue at next week's meeting. As discussed in previous meetings, it was noted that discussion is needed in the future budgets before new requests are made.
- Specialized Scholarships will be discussed at a future meeting.
- Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at approximately 1:00 pm.