September 4 2003
University of the Pacific
Minutes, September 4, 2003
Taylor Conference Room
Call to Order: 3:11
Present: Brodnick, Chi, Ensign, Gilbertson, Hanyak, Hoverstad, Jacobson, Jones, King, Meer, Olson, Perro, Sina, Spreer
Not Present: Cavanaugh, Miller, Richmond
Minutes: Minutes of the August 21 meeting were reviewed and approved.
- Brodnick, Sina, and Spreer gave reports.
Current Agenda Items:
REVIEW OF MVP STRATEGIC INDICATORS
Brodnick presented a document containing the first draft of strategic indicators for each of the twenty-two MVP priorities.
- Heighten Academic Distinctiveness
- Pacific rated highly in almost all categories compared to the norm.
- Mentor rates should be updated in include all Mentor experiences.
- Licensing pass rates for Law, Dental and Pharmacy need to be incorporated into this category.
- Deans need to determine a distinction between research and study abroad.
- Experiential learning activities must be tracked and included.
- International student enrollments may prove a useful addition.
- Improve the Quality and Delivery of Academic Programs and Services to Students.
- Additional measures for wellness and recreation would be helpful.
- Strengthen Competitive Positioning
- Data on the faculty and staff pay plans should be added.
- A look at non-salary compensation is needed.
- A facilities improvement timeline should be added.
- The relationship between students and alumni needs to be addressed.
- Build Upon Financial Strength
- Endowment performance, bond rating changes, and endowment per student indicators are required.
- Alumni giving trends by campus and total annual giving are indicators that can be added.
- Expand External Relations
- National and International partnerships need to be established.
- Service learning data may prove useful here.
The committee noted areas that should be expanded, some with current data, and others with new assessment and data collection. Each division will work to provide information for the next draft. It is likely that the document will not be complete in time for the October Board meeting.
Next Meeting: September 18, 2003, 2-4pm
The Committee adjourned at 5:04