History of the Gladys L. Benerd School of Education (1924)
From its beginning, the University of the Pacific emphasized the preparation of “preachers and teachers” and students having teaching as a goal made up a large number of the undergraduate student body for the University’s first 50 years.
In 1915, the University began issuing elementary and high school teaching credentials, and a Department of Education was organized in 1920.
The School of Education was formally organized in 1923, recognized by the California State Department of Education on January 10, 1924, and officially established shortly after the College of the Pacific moved to Stockton in 1924.
In the middle 1950s, the School began the Doctor of Education degree program and was among the first institutions in California to prepare school psychologists and special education specialists. The School offered one of the first Teacher Corps programs in the United States.
In the 1970s and 1980s, the School had innovative programs to prepare bilingual educators.
In the 1980s and early 1990s, the School’s Title VII Doctoral Fellowship program brought exemplary teachers and administrators to Pacific in the field of English as a Second Language and Bilingual Education.
The School has maintained its national accreditation with the National Council for the Accreditation of Teachers (NCATE) as well as State of California accreditation.
The School offers bachelors, master of education, master of arts and doctor of education degrees as well as California credential programs in Multiple Subject, Single Subject, CLAD and BCLAD, Special Education, Administrative Services and Pupil Personnel Services in School Counseling and School Psychology.
The School was formally renamed the Gladys L. Benerd School of Education in 1992 following an endowment gift of $5 million dollars from Ms. Benerd, a graduate of the School of Education and long time teacher in local schools.