• Print

History of the Graduate School (1956)

Although the first degree earned above the baccalaureate was earned in 1912, graduate degrees from organized graduate programs were not developed until the mid-1920s when the University moved to Stockton.

The number of Master of Arts degrees increased in the years after that, particularly in education, history, and English.

The Conservatory of Music, with growth in programs and reputation, began to offer advanced work, and in 1929, the first Master of Music degree was granted.

With the influx of veterans soon after 1945, graduate programs proliferated.

A program for the doctorate in education was organized in 1951, and that degree was first granted in 1954.

Pacific granted its first Master of Science degree in 1955.

Although the organization of graduate programs into a centrally administered unit under the "Dean of Graduate Programs" was accomplished by 1946, the Graduate School was officially founded in 1956 to coordinate and administer advanced work in the various departments and schools.

The Graduate School was redefined in 1997 and the office of Sponsored Programs was added in 1999 to form the office of Research and Graduate Studies.

The Dean of the Graduate School became the Dean of Research and Graduate Studies at that time.