History of the School of Dentistry (1896)
The College of Physicians and Surgeons was founded in 1896 and included programs in dentistry, medicine, and pharmacy.
Starting in 1918, the College focused its educational programs solely on dentistry.
In 1962, the College of Physicians and Surgeons merged with the University of the Pacific.
The current School of Dentistry facility, which was completed in 1967, went through an extensive remodeling in 1985 with the updating of specialty clinics, adding a new entrance on Sacramento Street, and creating a patient information area.
Since 1989, other capital improvements have included the remodeling of conference rooms, seminar rooms, the orthodontic clinic, department offices, and the addition of new chairs and lights in our main clinic, a new pediatric clinic, and a $5 million pre-clinical simulation laboratory.
The building has been 90 percent remodeled since 1990 at a cost of $17 million, completely donated by alumni, foundations, and private gifts.
In 1978, Dr. Arthur Dugoni was appointed as Dean of the School. Under his leadership the School has had a long history of teaching excellence in the clinical sciences and in its commitment to student learning.
The year 2000 accreditation site visit resulted in no recommendations and 18 commendations, setting a new standard in dental education accreditation.
The comprehensive patient care program is based on the concept of private dental practice where the student assumes responsibility for assigned patients' treatment, consultation, and referral for specialty care under direction of multidisciplinary faculty.
An extramural clinic located in Union City provides advanced students with opportunities to work in an environment that resembles private practice.
The division of International Dental Studies provides a program for foreign dental graduates to earn the U.S. dental degree.
The IDS program, initiated in 1987, has allowed its graduates to continue their education in the dental specialties or return to practice their profession in their homelands.
An Advanced Education in General Dentistry (AEGD) program, begun in 1990, annual provides a year-long education program for eight residents.