• Print

History of the School of Engineering (1958)

Instruction in engineering began in 1924 as one of the new areas of concentration within the College of the Pacific when it moved to Stockton from San Jose.

The engineering program separated from the College of the Pacific in 1958 and placed under the direction of its own dean to become the School of Engineering.

Initially, bachelor degrees were offered in civil, electrical, and mechanical engineering, and the civil and electrical engineering programs were accredited by the Engineering Council of Professional Development.

Since the fall of 1971, all engineering programs have been accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).

Also in 1971, the School of Engineering also adopted a mandatory, off-campus cooperative education component for all U.S. students.

A computer engineering program was introduced in 1978 and programs in engineering physics and mechanical engineering were added in 1981 and 1982, respectively.

All three of these programs have ABET accreditation.