History of the Thomas J. Long School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (1955)
Discussions in 1951 to create a school of pharmacy at Pacific created an interest among community pharmacists, business leaders, and University officials to seek official founding of the school in 1955.
Dr. Ivan W. Roland was hired in August of 1955 to serve as Dean, and Emmons E. Roscoe accepted the first faculty position that same year.
By the fall of 1956, the first classroom and laboratory for the new school began operating in Weber Hall, rooms 102 and 104.
The first graduation for 16 seniors was held in June 1959.
By 1960, the School had reached an enrollment of 250 students and was rapidly outgrowing the facilities.
Grants and gifts from the Pfeiffer Research Foundation, the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare, and numerous individuals led to the construction of a new building, completed in 1969.
The Department of Physical Therapy was established in the spring of 1985, and a full complement of 30 students was enrolled in the program by the fall of 1986.
Full accreditation was granted by the American Physical Therapy Association in 1988.
With the addition of the Department of Speech and Language Pathology, the School of Pharmacy was renamed to the School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences in 1999.
In 2001 the School was formally renamed the Thomas J. Long School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences following an endowment gift of $13 million dollars from Mr. Thomas Long, a long time supporter and benefactor of the School.