General Academic Tutoring
Our mission is to help University of the Pacific students become independent, self-confident and efficient learners to succeed in college. We assist students in successfully meeting the academic standards of the University, as well as their own educational and personal goals through on-going tutoring support.
The General Academic Tutoring Center's tutors are sophomores, juniors, seniors, or graduate students who have succeeded academically with a B+ or better in the class they are tutoring or have been recommended by their Professors. The General Academic Tutoring Center offers free tutoring in a variety of subjects to currently enrolled students at Pacific (as resources and tutor availability permit). In addition, our tutors go through a 3-4 hour training each semester learning how to tutor for different learning styles, tutoring strategies, and nation-wide best practices for tutoring.
General Academic Tutoring offers two types of tutoring: scheduled and special appointments.
• Appointments are done in one-hour increments to allow others to have access to the tutors. One hour is very close to the optimal length for a tutoring session for most subjects.
• Appointments must be made no more than three weeks in advance and no less than 24 hours before the appointment.
• Any appointments scheduled between 8:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. must be made no later than 8:00 p.m. the previous day.
• Same day appointments are available upon approval from the General Academic Tutoring Coordinator and tutor availablity.
• The center staff will do their best to contact tutors to schedule a special appointment. Please note that while most of the time our tutors are able to make special appointments, this is not a guarantee.
Supplemental Instruction (SI)
Supplemental Instruction (SI) is an academic assistance program that utilizes peer-assisted study sessions. For more information, click here.
Interested in becoming a tutor?
If you are interested in becoming a tutor, please pick up a tutor employment application form in the General Academic Tutoring Office, or download application on the link below.
To refer a qualified student, please complete a tutor referral form. The tutor referral form can be picked up in the General Academic Tutoring Office, or you can download the form on the link below.
General Academic Tutoring
Martin Gonzales graduated from University of the Pacific with his BA in Sociology and is currently pursing his Master of Arts in Educational Administration and Leadership with an specialization in Student Affairs, Curriculum and Instruction, and Educational and Organizational Leadership. Previous to being the Coordinator for the General Academic Tutoring Center he was the Graduate Assistant for the Office of Student Leadership Development at University of the Pacific.
Fundamental Skills & General Tutoring Programs
Administrative Assistant II
Need additional information?
• Visit the General Academic Tutoring Center, located in the McCaffrey Center, 1st floor, room 103
• call 209.946.2437
• email the General Academic Tutoring Coordinator
The General Academic Tutoring Center Hours:
(for fall and spring semesters)
Monday through Thursday: 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: 4:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Math Skills Program: Drop-in tutoring for MATH 1, 3, and 5 is always available during open lab hours in the Math Lab (McCaffrey 134). Drop-in support for other math courses may also be available, so students should feel free to stop by. For more information, click here.
Writing Center: The Student Writing Center is a free tutoring service for all Pacific students in all programs. We can assist with any kind of writing project at any stage of the process. Our Center is staffed with highly-trained, knowledgeable undergraduate and graduate students. Additionally we offer a number of TEACHING RESOURCES for writing instruction, available in hard copy at the Center or electronically. For more information, click here.