• Print

April 12, 2012

Minutes

Academic Council
April 12, 2012, 3-5 pm
Library Community Room
Stockton

Attendance:
Business: J. Post (p), P. Hilsenrath (p)
Conservatory: F. Hsiao (p), B. Phillips (p)
College: M. Bates (p), S. Giraldez (p), C. Goff (p), K. Holland (p), C. Lehmann (p), J. Lu (p), L. Rademacher (p), C. Snell (p), T. Storch (p), B. Swagerty (p), L. Wrischnik (p)
Dental: L. Giusti (a), J. Miles (a), R. White (a)
Education: H. Arnold (p), T. Nelson (p), L. Webster (a)
Emeriti: R. di Franco (p)
Engineering: C. Lee (p) C. Mathews (a)
Law: G. Caplan (a), W. Jones (a), M. Vitiello (p)
Library: S. Sutton (p)
PHS: S. Carr-Lopez (p), X. Guo (a), T. Phelan (p), J. Ward-Lonergan (a)
SIS: A. Kanna (p)
ASUOP: tbd
Ex-Officio: P. Eibeck (a), M. Pallavicini (p), B. Gundersen (a), D. Neault (p)
Guests: Elizabeth Griego, Lisa Cooper, Serjio Acevedo, Nancy DeGuire, David Chase, Edie Sparks, Cindy Eakin, Eileen McFall, Ken Mullen, Jianhua Ren, Craig Hawbaker, Marcia Hernandez

Meeting called to order at 3:04
1. Chair's Report - Chris Goff
Updates - Strategic Planning Committee needs feedback on the planning document by Monday the 16th. The Faculty Compensation Committee is having an open forum on May 3rd, 12-1pm in WPC 140. This is a chance for faculty to ask questions regarding faculty compensation. On April 30th the University Compensation Committee meets with vendors of health care products, as well as a spring update on health care issues. B. Swagerty will report on this at the May 3rd meeting. Relay for Life event is going to be held April 14-15. The on-line university-wide elections are coming up next week. Congratulations to Xin Guo, PHS and Susan Sample, SIS for receiving the Eberhardt Teacher-Scholar award. Academic Council's next meeting will be held on Thursday, May 3rd (one week earlier than usual) due to commencement being on May 5th, this will be the final meeting of the year. Harriett has asked the faculty committees for a report on their activities this year. A summary and the full reports are being distributed. A suggestion was made to post the reports on insidePacific. The Faculty Governance Office will be hosting a mixer for Committee Chairs and Chair-elects on Tuesday, April 17th from 3-5 in the Tower, 6th floor. Today we have lengthy documents for discussion. The approach will be to have about six people per document to review and provide feedback at our next meeting. The three documents are: Diversity Task Force Report, IEC Program Review Guidelines, and the Library Bylaws. He is encouraging others to provide feedback for the SPC survey.

2. Approval of Consent Agenda (Minutes, Committee Reports)
No comments received, therefore consent items approved.

3. President's Report - Pam Eibeck
Out of town - no report today.

4. Provost's Report - Maria Pallavicini
Thanks and kudos to everyone who helped prepare for the WASC visit. She believes we received a reasonable summary: 21 commendations/recommendations. We don't have the draft report yet, but we will have it next week and have the opportunity to respond to errors in fact. There will be a meeting in June where the President and Provost will have 30 minutes to respond and then find out how long accreditation is for before an interim report is needed. Issues: Program review and self-studies, disappointed with our progress. They would like to see evidence that we are doing program review. Another issue is diversity and student success, we need to look at best practices of our aspirant peers and establish benchmarks and goals, particularly for latino and African American students. Student Success, what impedes it? How are we doing on assessment? They were disappointed on how few programs have used data to modify learning objectives and outcomes. Why doesn't the administration just tell the units how it's going to be? We need to review our advising system and have a conversation about faculty workload and diversity.
Strategic planning - asking for input on survey - give us your thoughts. There will be more opportunities for input in the future. Six strategic areas have been identified from the prior discussions we have had. Regents are having a strategic planning retreat the day before the regents meeting. The cabinet and deans have a leadership retreat in June. Thinking about having a university wide forum in the fall, and asking for faculty input and asking for implementing the strategic plan within the schools - what are the barriers or challenges to implementation? With the goal of putting together a reasonable financial plan which will go to the Regents for input and approval at the January meeting.
P&T committee has just completed best practices for promotion and tenure. The deans are getting a copy on Friday afternoon, they will take it to faculty for a first-pass look, return to provost and then P&T will determine how they can incorporate feedback. Will have to wait until the Fall for more detailed feedback. This will not impact how things are done next year. She would like to reconsider how the committee is constituted and is looking at removing deans from this committee.
IEC - looking across the university at program review. They just put together a review guide for self-studies and program reviews. The committee will be meeting with the programs that are going to be doing reviews in the fall.
Sheila O'Rourke will not be an official university ombudsman, but she is available to meet with faculty right now. The President is looking into the ombudsman role for the university in the future.

5. Election to Institutional Priorities Committee (IPC) - ballots distributed and collected. Ballots will be emailed to the Law School and the Dental School.

6. Election of Chair-Elect for Academic Council - ballots distributed and collected.
Marlin Bates elected to the position of chair-elect.

7. Handbook Revision: Faculty Compensation Committee
Jianhua Ren is here to discuss the proposed change of changing the representation of the committee from just three members from COP to one member from each of the three divisions within COP. This does not change the total number of members.
R. diFranco moves to approve, S. Giraldez seconds, motion carries unanimously.

8. Handbook Addition: University Diversity Curriculum Committee - Marcia Hernandez and Craig Hawbaker
B. Phillips moves to approve, C. Lehmann seconds, discussion: There is a diversity course requirement for graduation, but no official faculty committee to approve this curriculum. There was a temporary appointment made by last year's academic council to form a university curriculum subcommittee of voting faculty from members of the unofficial committee and were charged with developing an official committee and guidelines. M. Hernandez explained the make-up of the proposed committee. The assistant provost for Diversity is a non-voting member. Issues raised: Why not university wide-committee? Why not have these duties be a part of the Academic Affairs or General Education Committees? Reason for the need for a separate committee includes looking at interdisciplinary issues, across units, and carefully reviewing syllabi for in-depth issues of diversity. This requires training and knowledge of diversity issues. The reason for this not being a university-wide committee is that the diversity requirement is for the undergraduate program only. Concerns were raised over creating another committee, consistency of language in handbook addition, is a graduate school representative really needed? We should think very carefully about adding another committee due to the difficulty in filling the needs of the various committees on campus.
C. Lehmann motions to extend time by 5 minutes, L. Wrishnick seconds, motion passes.
The committee has approved 15 different courses that meet the criteria. They have had up to 3 meetings with faculty about appropriate development of courses that need semester-long readings and assignments relating to diversity. The current members do not want all of this effort to be lost. There is consulting and dialogue with faculty when courses are submitted for approval.
B. Phillips motions to extend time by 5 more minutes, R. Difranco seconds, motion passes.
Recommendation to explicitly state that his is an "undergraduate program" requirement only, and to change "professional" school to be more explicit about which schools these include. Diversity needs to be consistent across campus with all diversity issues from task force report, WASC concerns and curriculum issues.
L. Rademacher motions to table, T. Storch seconds, motion passes with eight opposed, one abstention, motion carries.

S. Giraldez motions to extend the authority of the temporary committee (G. Gerhard, X. Zhou, M. Hernandez, C. Hawbaker, and R. Oprandy) through January 2013, seconded by C. Lehmann, motion passes with one abstention.

Suggestion to contact the GE and AA committees to inquire if these duties could be charged to them.

9. Library Bylaws - Shan Sutton
These bylaws were unanimously approved by the library faculty about one year ago. Two main objectives: to clarify the details for P&T review, to add a non-tenure track possibility to the library faculty. These bylaw revisions have been approved by PRC. PRC sent it back for further clarification, and suggested putting in quantitative minimum baselines in the evaluation criteria. They do not want the checkbox mentality, and acknowledge that there are various differences in the complexity of the evaluation criteria. Shan stated that their bylaws are not in conflict with the handbook. P&T feels strongly that meeting the minimum requirements are not a guarantee for tenure, but the ability to be considered for tenure. Chris would like to have a few members of AC review bylaws and return to AC with recommendation. Reviewers are B. Swagerty, M. Bates, T. Storch, and T. Phelan. Reviewing purpose: P&T guidelines.

10. Diversity Task Force Report- Presidential Task Force - Elizabeth Griego
Draft report out for review, they synthesized the top 10 recommendations as the report is long. Per E. Griego, they took the broadest possible definition of diversity: race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, abilities, etc. Committee members Lisa Cooper, Serjio Acevedo, and Nancy DeGuire are also in attendance. They are requesting feedback on draft report. The WASC committee gave a commendation on the draft report. Chris would like a handful of Academic Council members review the report and bring feedback to the next meeting for the committee. Report distributed to: C. Lehmann, B. Phillips, S. Carr-Lopez, F. Hsiao, and T. Nelson for review.

11. IEC Program Review Guidelines - David Chase
Overview: Goal of IEC is to evaluate the quality of program review at the university. In 2008 the university revised the program review guidelines. This document is an update to those guidelines. The committee borrowed and modified from the JFK University guidelines. Would like to use these guidelines for the Fall 2012 program reviews. These are meant to be helpful and the beginning of a conversation for program reviews. The closing of the loop after two years from the program review, the IEC will follow up with the Deans. Academic Council reviewers: L. Wrishnik, K. Holland, J. Lu, L. Rademacher.

12. What's On Your Mind?
Our May 3rd meeting will be followed by a brief reception in the CTL to honor our past chair, Susan Giraldez, who will be rotating off of the committee and all the other members who are leaving the committee. Ideally, newly elected members should also attend the May 3 meeting.
Danielle Neault would like to invite faculty to participate as a guest coach. This program was implemented a couple of years ago and she would like more faculty to participate.
Harriett Arnold wants to thank the committees for submitting their progress reports. Chris would like members to review the reports since many have suggested that we have too many committees. You may analyze the tasks of the committees and offer suggestions for merging.
The Emeriti Society invited C. Lehmann to speak at their luncheon and she presented three approaches toward the humanities.
Chair-elect election results: Congratulations to Marlin Bates.
Motion to adjourn at 4:55 pm