• Print

April 9, 2009

 

Academic Council

April 9, 2009
Library Community Room
3:00 – 5:00pm

Attendance:
Business: C. Eakin (p), E. Typpo(a)
Conservatory: D. Ebbers (a), P. Langham (p)
College: M. Bates, (p), L. Fox (p), S. Giraldez (p), M. Hatch (a), J. Lessard (a), P. Meyer (p), Cynthia Ostberg (p), E. Thomas (p), C. Vierra (p), K. Whittington (p), X. Zhou (p)
Dental: D. Horlak (p), B. Lundergan (p), J. Miles (a)
Education: D. Brennan (p), R. Oprandy (p)
Emeriti: R. di Franco (p)
Engineering: H. Estrada (p), C. Lee (p)
Law: W. Jones (p), E. Telfeyan (a), K. Yelpaala (p)
Library: C. Hsieh (p)
PHS: T. Little (p), L. Norton (a), C. Peterson (p), K. Salamon (a), M. Susca (a)
SIS: S. Sample (p)
ASUOP: K. Nichols (a)
Ex-Officio: P. Gilbertson (p), B. Gundersen (p), H. Trexler (p)
Observer:  D. McNiel (p)
Guests: Mike Canniff, Pat Cavanaugh, Mike McCallum, Lou Matz, Bruce Peltier

1. Call to Order: 3:07pm 

2. Approval of Minutes: Minutes of March 12th, 2009

For item #5 the survey results were from Jerald Pearson; item # 6 the names of degrees will be listed; Master of Laws in Business, Government, Water, and Advocacy, Masters in International Development and Entrepreneurship, Masters in Communications Management, Masters in Education and item#8 note there seems to be a deviation from the original four-year guarantee and further research is being conducted.

M. Bates moved, R. di Franco seconded, approved with one abstention.

3. Chair’s Report
Chair Yelpaala will prepare a report for the incoming President on the faculty’s position on a number of issues; these will include the Faculty Task Force Report,  a new survey that would focus on, what the university do to make faculty more effective professors, better researchers and make them advance in their fields. 
Chair Yelpaala reconstructed the Faculty Background Screening document to protect the faculty interest, the Exec Board will review the document and Council may need to vote, at a later date on whether such a policy needs to be in place, not on the document itself.
The Network Security policy is needed to protect the various interests including those of he faculty. The proposed changes aim at addressing the issues relating to the powerful network system that could create access to and look into someone’s compute. In view of this, there needs to be some checks and balances in the policy. The idea is to reconstruct a basic policy, which will need to be endorsed by Council and based upon the policy the Network Security Standards can then be established.
The Exec Board will move on with the elections for next year’s chair elect and full Exec Board, this need to be in place before the next school year.

4. Provost’s Report
The Provost gave an update on enrollment, there are 5990 admitted an estimated yield rate of 1,000 students. A 39% selectivity ratio, normally we are 70% it represents an increase in local and California students. This year’s direct marketing was to California students the long-term plan with the Royall Company is to expand to outside states starting this year. The quality is still high, 1199 SAT, 3.55 GPA transfer graduate students on the Stockton campus are higher. Although it is not expected to exceed the number of freshmen class, there are planning scenarios for 1200 students, this will be clear about May 15th what Fall will be.
Some transitional planning, is going on for the incoming President, Dr. Eibeck will be on campus the week after graduation and participate in the COD retreat. 
The Provost asked if the Sustainability committee needed to be a administrative committee with faculty representation or a joint faculty administrative committee. Council decided to have the committee be an administrative committee.
The President has moved for a budget of 902 students.

5. Election of Chair-Elect
A nomination ballot was distributed for chair-elect, Chair Yelpaala announced Susan Giraldez will be Academic Council’s chair-elect next year.

6. What’s on your mind?
Chair Yelpaala invited Council to share other issues for discussion, hearing none the item will continue to be an agenda.

7. Budget update
VP Pat Cavanaugh shared a budget update with Council; there is projected operating surplus budget of over 5 million across all three campuses. A summary of the President’s recommendation for allocation of various projects include about 3 million for the law school library, for the dental school about 500k and a range of funds to help with Academic programs, technology, marketing and athletic facilities and also to provide funds for the biology building. Highlights from the budget included increases from the law and dental school updates on gifts for various campus projects and a summary of the 2010 budget was also provided.

8. Proposed Handbook Revisions
Mike Canniff, chair of PRC presented some changes to the handbook, changes included the process of Promotion and Tenure, Academic Council’s election procedures, wording to the Honorary Degree section and Academic Council’s representation to the IPC. The Grievance Committee will present a proposed revision in a separate memorandum at a later date.

M. Bates moved, C. Ostberg seconded 15 approved, 2 opposed, 5 abstentions.

9. WASC Learning Objectives and Outcomes
Lou Matz and Bruce Peltier shared an overview of the various meeting reactions from across the campus, and returned to Council for the approval of the Objectives; Competence in a Major Field, Critical Thinking Communication, Collaboration, Intercultural and Global Perspectives, Ethical Reasoning and Wellness. Council decided they needed more time to discuss with their colleagues and that it would be best for the revised document to be presented at the May meeting.

10. Stockton Calendar Update
Mike McCallum shared a seven-year calendar outlook from the proposed changes; Academic Affairs are hosting campus forums to inform the community about the changes. The calendar will be voted at next month’s Academic Affairs and be brought for Council to endorse.

11. Faculty Task Force Survey
Hector Estrada shared the results from the survey conducted by the Faculty Task Force; there was a 66% participation. Questions from the survey included; Are you aware that Academic Affairs struggles each year to appoint committees responsible for shared governance?, Do you perceive the lack of faculty participation in University Service to be a problem?

Adjournment: 5:01 pm