• Print

December 13, 2012

Academic Council Meeting
Library Community Room
Regular Session
3:30 - 5:00 PM

Minutes

Attendance:
Business: J. Post (p), S. Wheeler (a)
Conservatory: F. Hsiao (p), B. Phillips (a)
College: M. Bates (p), C. Goff (p), B. Herrin (a), J. Juge (p), C. Lehmann (p), J. Lu (p), L. Rademacher (p), A. Smith (p), C. Snell (a), B. Swagerty (p), L. Wrischnik (p)
Dental: J. Miles (a), A. Nattestad (a), R. White (a)
Education: H. Arnold (p), T. Nelson (a), L. Webster (p)
Emeriti: R. di Franco (p)
Engineering: C. Lee (p), S. Larwood (p)
Law: L. Carter (p), F. Galves (p), W. Jones (p)
Library: R. Imhof (p)
PHS: L. Boles (p), S. Carr-Lopez (p), J. Ward-Lonergan (a), C. Wilson (a)
SIS: A. Kanna (a) A. Giraldez (substitute)
ASUOP: K. Dantzler (a), tbd
Ex-Officio: P. Eibeck (p), M. Pallavicini (p), B. Gundersen (a), D. Neault (p)
Guests: P. Cavanaugh, C. Eakin

Call to Order @ 3:29

I. Approval of Consent Agenda
A. November 8 Academic Council Minutes
B. Academic Affairs Approval Log: Fall 2012
C. Extension of term of the Strategic Planning Committee: spring 2013 semester.

II. Reports
A. Chairperson's Report - H. Arnold
She has received input from the faculty and met with Jane Lewis regarding the Sexual Harassment policy. Comments were submitted and a revision will return to Council after the New Year. Sharmila King, from the Department of Economics was elected to the Promotion & Tenure Committee. Chris Goff provided an update on New Faculty Orientation: internal funding opportunities were the topic of discussion at their November meeting. They solicited feedback for topics for the next two meetings and their final meeting will be with the promotion and tenure committee. The Spring All-Faculty meeting will be held on Tuesday, February 26 on the Dugoni Campus in San Francisco. Harriett and M. Bates will be at the meeting and it will be video conferenced to Stockton (Taylor Conference Room-Library) and to the law school in Sacramento. Information will be forwarded to Council from Rich Rojo who presented Pacific's new branding statement to the President's Advisory Council. This will be forthcoming in February. The University has a new brand statement which emphasizes four points: the Importance of Pacific, the Believability of Pacific, our Distinctiveness, and the appeal of Pacific as a Teaching Focused University. The Office of Information Technology (OIT) is now under the Academic Division, any concerns regarding faculty issues should be forwarded to the provost's office, as they are interested in tracking faculty concerns/issues. B. Swagerty from FCC - presented information regarding the Experiential Learning Oversight Committee (ELOC) although he stated that Geoff Lin-Cereghino would be the more appropriate person to provide information as he is on both committees. They met with the provost, Lou Matz, and Berit Gundersen on December 6 to discuss workload issues. There may be a cap with a specific number of units faculty will be compensated for in terms of overload. This conversation is premature, although FCC does support this direction for ELOC. The Strategic Planning Committee (SPC) nominations came from Academic Council for faculty members and this committee was to sunset this fall. The executive board made the decision to extend the faculty's tenure on this committee as the committee is going to continue to meet for one more semester. There are six faculty members on this committee and the President asked if their terms could be extended for one additional semester. Two of the six original faculty members are now interim deans (Cox/Jasti).

B. President's Report - P. Eibeck
The University lost two extraordinary Pacific icons last week: Jeanette Powell and Dave Brubeck. Mrs. Powell passed away a week ago Sunday; she and her husband were regents. She was involved with the Powell scholars, an interior designer who worked with the art center and was passionate about Pacific. She will be missed. The loss of Dave Brubeck is a loss for the world. The President recently spoke with Dave's wife, Iola, who is also a Pacific alumnus. The Brubeck's are a loving family who are all great musicians. They have left many of Dave's papers with the University and are asking that we continue his legacy.

She is sharing information today regarding the Budget for FY14 and providing a general prognosis for budgets. She met with the Deans and IPC yesterday. IPC makes recommendations to the President, she listens at meetings, but is not a voting member. Right now the IPC is working on the recommendation for the tuition rates for next year, enrollment projections, anticipated net revenue, and discussing expenses (mandatory) such as leases, raises, etc. Next year's budget is not looking significant, which is not surprising. With modest tuition increases, we are facing uncertainties: freshman enrollment target is 900 (it was 835 last year), average SAT will have to be below 1200 to make this target. The law school is facing challenges, working on budget balancing as applications are not looking promising for next year.

There is going to be a new budget system in a few years, which treats all three campuses in a consistent manner. The law school faculty have not received a raise since 2010. This year's budget process will not include soliciting proposals from Divisions (deans or VP's) for use of new funds for next year. Typically, proposals are heard by IPC for the use of incremental funds. The university is being very conservative at this point. This is not a unique situation for privates in higher education.
Question: If the outlook were to change in the future, would the IPC solicit proposals at that time? She has asked that $500,000 in base money be set aside for investments in the Strategic Plan. No decision has been made yet on the process for the use of this money and the priority.
Question: When will the university see benefit from the Powell Endowment? 100 million dollars, stipulation of use of this money is for scholarships, and they want most of it matched. This is an estate gift. It may be as soon as 12 weeks, or if the trust goes into probate, it may take longer. There is a Powell advisory board that will work with the University.
A comprehensive campaign will begin soon. This will increase our endowment by about 50%.

C. Provost's Report - M. Pallavicini
Dean search updates: COP - all candidates have come to campus, she is waiting for feedback from the search committee with pros and cons of each of the candidates. She hopes to extend an offer over the holiday break. There was good pool of candidates. ENG - brought out three candidates, and the search committee is reviewing them. One more candidate will be coming out in early January. Some candidates may have other offers; we need to be able to get back to them quickly. CTL Director - working on the vision statement, incorporating comments and developing a position descriptor for this position. She is also looking structurally at how it will be organized. Pepperdine University has a model with a faculty governing board and a director. She will send out a proposal and wants comments back by mid-January. One of the charges of the CAPD is the oversight of the CTL. The Strategic Plan unit updates are due tomorrow, where the goals of academic units and how they align with goals of Pacific 2020 are identified. She has also asked for a high level cost of the proposed initiatives. Still need to identify university-wide cross-cutting programs, and develop a technology plan. TEC chair, Ken Day, is also a member of ISPC and he is involved in this process. TEC has oversight for recommending awards of $133K in money available from the cost savings of switching to Sakai from blackboard. Proposals will require an assessment plan and a final report. The new RFP will encourage individuals or groups to consider innovations in using technology for teaching blended/on-line learning. The RFP from TEC should come out early next week and they have extended the deadline for the proposals. She is doing a lot of benchmarking with peers on various areas in academics, ELOC, undergraduate research, sabbaticals, workload issues. Are we in alignment? What do we want/need to do? One of the goals under strategy four of the Strategic Plan is how we can seamlessly integrate administrative services with different university functions in terms of efficiency. She started review of International Program Services (IPS). Each of the three campuses has a director. She is going to restart the provost newsletter in January.
Question: How will benchmarking information be distributed to faculty? She is working with relevant faculty committees right now. She would be happy to post on a webpage connected with the Provost's webpage.

III. Action Items
A. Special Review Committee Election for the Benerd School of Education PhD Program
There are two doctoral programs in the School of Education, Curriculum and Instruction and the Educational Psychology Departments. The faculty in the Educational Psychology Department are requesting to eliminate the PhD program only, not the EdD program. FHB Section 3.7.1 requires a Special Review Committee to be formed and Academic Council elects the faculty members. The candidates on the ballot have been contacted and they have agreed to participate. Ballots were distributed and collected.

B. Academic Affairs: New Minor in Latin American/US Latin@ Studies
Susan Giraldez, Chair, Department of Modern Languages stated that this new minor is replacing the inter-American certificate. The reason for having the certificate was so that it could be applied to the professional schools as well, but it has only been active at the undergraduate level of the Stockton campus. Since the reason for having a "certificate" as opposed to a minor doesn't exist anymore, and since students have a better understanding of "minors," they are proposing eliminating the certificate and having it become a minor. It is also clearer on transcripts. There were requests from students and faculty for a major or minor. There are no plans to do a major soon; Pacific is just catching up with the rest of the country in having a Latin American Studies program. Question: Has there been coordination or contact with McGeorge and Raquel Aldana, as there are possibilities for synergies. Yes, they have worked together in the past and will continue to do so. The minor will appear on the webpages of Modern Language, History and SIS.

B. Swagerty moves to approve, R. Imhof seconds, unanimously approved.

C. Academic Affairs: Academic Program Proposal Guidelines - tabled

IV. Information Items
A. Development of Policy Framework- Mary Lou Lackey
She is here to explain the overall university-wide framework for policies and procedures. Across the university there is an effort to look at how we can consolidate and make our policies accessible as well as follow best practices. We are looking at identifying what vehicles should exist versus putting everything in the Faculty Handbook, even items that don't necessarily pertain to faculty. Starting at the top we have the Articles of Incorporation with the Secretary of State, and next are the University Bylaws which are the purview of the Regents. The Regents are revising/streamlining these now, as well as developing a Regent's Handbook. This handbook will relate to how the regents operate. Board directives and board approved policies (how they operate as a board) will also be documented. The next step is University Policies and Procedures. We are in good shape in terms of having the appropriate polices we should have. But they are everywhere, not consolidated or easily accessible. C. Goff is working with Sheila O'Rourke to put policies where they belong. They will create links to the policies on-line. The goal is to complete this project in 1 to 1.5 years.
Phase 1 - Collect all existing policies into a single web-based repository (collecting policies, not updating) and consolidating and asking for basic information to build a database.
Phase 2 - Implementation of initial website. Go live, search and sort function. Remove written policies from other websites.
Phase 3 - Simultaneous with phase 2 - development of "policy on policies" best practices, develop a system to move forward, and facilitate update process.
The team includes Mary Lou Lackey, an AC rep, a SAC rep, and representatives from each major division at VP level.

V. What's On Your Mind?
C. Lehmann would like to propose an agenda item for our next meeting regarding Athletics: Recent decisions made to add a Men's Soccer Program, Women's Sand Volleyball and Track and Field; the abrupt termination of women's field hockey coach; and the lack of a dedicated Title IX Officer. C. Goff stated that the Title IX issue was also raised at ISPC.

VI. Chairperson's Report
A. Sexual Harassment Policy Update
B. Promotion & Tenure Election
C. New Faculty Luncheon and Professional Development: Fall 2012
D. All Faculty Meeting - February 26, 2013 in San Francisco
E. President's Advisory Committee Meeting Update (December 4)
F. OIT Concerns
G. Experiential Learning Oversight Committee (ELOC)
H. Executive Board decision - continuance as faculty representatives on SPC for Spring 2013

Move to adjourn, M. Bates, second by C. Lehmann