• Print

December 8, 2011

Academic Council
December 8, 2011
Library Community Room

Attendance:
Business: J. Post (p), S. Wheeler (a)
Conservatory: F. Hsiao (p), B. Phillips (p)
College: M. Bates (p), S. Giraldez (p), C. Goff (p), K. Holland (p), C. Lehmann (a), J. Lu (p), L. Rademacher (a), C. Snell (p), T. Storch (p), B. Swagerty (p), L. Wrischnik (p)
Dental: L. Giusti (p), J. Miles (p), R. White (a)
Education: H. Arnold (p), T. Nelson (p), L. Webster (p)
Emeriti: R. di Franco (p)
Engineering: C. Lee (p) A. Zarei (p)
Law: G. Caplan (p), W. Jones (p), M. Vitiello (p)
Library: S. Sutton (p)
PHS: S. Carr-Lopez (p), X. Guo (p), T. Phelan (p), J. Ward-Lonergan (p)
SIS: A. Kanna (p)
ASUOP: tbd
Ex-Officio: P. Eibeck (p), M. Pallavicini (p), B. Gunderson (p), D. Neault (p)
Guests: Brian Klunk, Sheila O'Rourke

Call to order: 3:00 pm

1. Approval of Minutes for November 10, 2011
M. Vitiello moved to approve, M. Bates seconded, unanimously approved.

2. Chair's Report - C. Goff

The academic council along with the staff advisory council co-sponsors the annual Holiday Luncheon on Tuesday, December 13, 2011. Please share information with faculty and RSVP. The next academic council meeting will be held in Sacramento at the law school on Thursday, February 9th. There will be a bus provided for transportation. The spring all-faculty meeting will also be held on the McGeorge campus on Monday, February 13 from 12:15-1:30pm. The meeting will be video-conferenced in Stockton in the Library Community Room.

As chair-elect, Harriett Arnold will be contacting the chairs of the faculty committees and asking if they have any action items for council. She may also be working with committee liaisons from Academic Council to assist with making contact. There is video from the Fall All-Faculty meeting that we are considering putting on the web for faculty to view.

Leaf blower issue: Chris met with Pat Cavanaugh (Finance), Scott Heaton (Physical Plant), Toby Rose (Grounds), Shanna Eller & Camilla Saviz (Sustainability) today. Discussed three main topics: noise, sustainability, and air quality health issues. Right now the leafblowers are going to continue to be used, there is an issue of scale with each gardener responsible for over 100 trees. We need more communication because the grounds department has been working with sustainability to make changes to equipment being used. They want us to compile a list of specific areas and times of day where there are major noise issues. Suggestion to use dual paned windows, changing doors, looking at noise abatement issues. Chris will work with sustainability committee to develop a process for reporting issues. The grounds committee feels pressure to maintain the beauty of the campus.

A suggestion has been made to have Academic Council have a consent agenda presented about a week prior to the meeting, council members may ask to have items removed from the consent agenda for discussion at the meeting, otherwise all items on consent agenda will just be put to a vote with no discussion.

3. President's Report - P. Eibeck
President Eibeck thanked the council for taking on the leaf blower issue at the university. Thanks to everyone working on the focus groups for the university's strategic planning process. The next symposium will be at end of January. Thanks to faculty for helping students with the "Occupy Pacific" event planned for the end of January. Next week, Moody's is coming to campus, we are trying to maintain an A2 rating.

4. Provost's Report - M. Pallavicini
Provost Pallavicini stated that Moody's is interested in the quality of our students, competitiveness of our programs, our win-loss with students that were accepted but didn't come to UOP, comparisons with peers and competitors, and looking at principles of excellence within our university. Today you will hear a report on Women on the Pacific Faculty. Providing an update on two areas she is working on with the Deans and the P&T Committee. We need to ensure that we have excellent faculty. The P&T committee will be having a retreat in the next few weeks to develop university-wide best practices for the process of promotion and tenure. Want to ensure that the processes are transparent, fair and ethical, with clear expectations and to ensure that we continue to build excellent faculty. Look forward to more on this issue, we all have responsibility to ensure that we have excellent faculty and to mentor new faculty. Another issue is Faculty Workload, deans are interested in getting a better handle on this issue re: transparency, equity, increasing visibility across all schools. Deans are responsible for resource allocation and resource distribution. Deans will be looking at this issue over the next few months. May have joint sessions with the Faculty Compensation Committee, which addresses faculty workload issues.

A new committee Strategic Enrollment Resource Planning (SERP) began meeting in the fall, looking at how and where we are recruiting students, and how we are linking activities with resources and finance, have had a full semester of meetings, example topics include endowed scholarships and donors, how are we stewarding our donors, how to utilize financial aid to recruit students, how much does recruitment cost? At all three campuses. Future topics are graduate student recruitment, law school enrollment, how effective is our three campus marketing? Attendees include, deans, student life, enrollment management staff. Power point presentations will be made available to faculty.

CTL - This fall she met with two groups of faculty on the Stockton Campus, and had a meeting with faculty at the dental school. She will be meeting with law school faculty as well. After she has gathered the information from faculty, a white paper will be developed on what the CTL should look like, probably by the end of January. A position description for a CTL Director will then go out.

Positions in provost office: interviews in next few weeks for associate provost positions. There is a large pool for the vice provost position, will be voting on search committee members later in this meeting. Lynn Beck is going to chair.

EER report update: Asking for feedback by Friday (tomorrow). Update on Strategic Planning - futuring group reports are due this Friday. The Strategic Planning Committee will be reviewing these reports. At the end of January there will be a symposium and either extend the futuring groups or have another symposium. Think broadly, creatively about how the future is going to look. Encourage everyone to come to the January symposium. Committee will be coming to the units to ask questions.

5. Handbook Revision: 4.6.1 Provost Search Committee
This section was updated last year, and has returned with comments from the cabinet. Executive Board addressed the comments and made changes.

M. Bates moved to approve, T. Phelan seconded; C. Snell amends motion to remove phrase "as a whole," in two places, W. Jones seconded, motion and amendment unanimously approved.

6. Handbook Revision 1.2 History
This section has not been updated since 2001; this is a placeholder which includes information about our new president.
M. Bates moved to approve, H. Arnold seconded, unanimously approved.

7. Handbook Revision 9.6.1 Intellectual Property Policy
This is a minor change to remove the word "graduate" in front of "graduate student," in order to explicitly include undergraduate students without having to write a new policy. Undergraduate students were always meant to be included according to Jin Gong.
M. Bates moved to approve, T. Phelan seconds, unanimously approved.

8. Election - Vice Provost Search Committee
Executive Board and Provost came up with list of names for members of the search committee. Please vote for three. Provost will select additional members from list of names. Ballots distributed and collected by Harriett Arnold. Results will be announced in the future.

9. Gender Investigation - Sheila O'Rourke
Provost Pallavicini brought Sheila O'Rourke to Pacific to prepare an independent report on the Representation of Women on the Faculty. The report has been made available electronically to the council. She brought 8 slides to discuss. Overall our university is in good shape with regard to women on the faculty. She provided the following recommendations:
1. Pay attention to hiring practices-broad circulation of job ads-to recruit a diverse pool.
2. Mentoring and Professional Development-All faculty will benefit from this.
3. Faculty Reviews-clear and consistent procedures for 1st and 3rd year reviews
4. Academic Climate-primarily for underrepresented groups, accumulation of micro-inequities over a faculty members' lifetime. Must provide a welcome climate.

10. What's on your mind?
Faculty Compensation Committee (FCC) update by B. Swagerty: met today with Human Resources, and cleared up the timetable for health policy changes. Jane Lewis explained the process. Beginning in April of each year, they will be updated on rate changes. There are meetings in April and in July. A FCC representative will be invited to participate in these meetings. Additionally, they will meet annually in September with Jane or a representative to review the letter that goes out to faculty and staff prior to its release. Additionally they have met with Mike Rogers regarding the university's LEED policy. We want to compare with our peer institutions and see where we fit-this is a project for the spring semester. They will also meet with the provost about this and other issues in the spring. There is a change in faculty compensation adjustments for the future from the use of AAUP to CUPA.

Microsoft software issue, are we considering upgrading to the latest version? We do have the rights to the latest software and should be able to get it on faculty computers. The Provost suggested inviting Malik Rahman to a meeting to discuss IT issues.

P&T policies should be made transparent in order to assist in the recruitment of new faculty. Departments and faculty need to be aware of the expectations.

January Occupy Pacific issue-critical thinking for students encouraged-possibly have political science program could take the lead to have debates over political issues. Event to be held January 20th. Provost stated that the administration would be in San Francisco at the Regents meeting on this date.

11. WASC Update and Draft of EER report - Brian Klunk
Brian presented a summary of the EER report: Next week the report goes to marketing for publication and the report will be submitted in early January to WASC and the visiting team. Brian has visited all of the academic units and believes that more than 200 faculty members have participated in the process. Final changes over the weekend and then delivered to the provost and cabinet for approval. There are three themes in the report:
1. Learning assessment - great improvement since 2010, all academic programs have learning objectives and assessment plans. We have been able to use examples where we have used assessment information to make decisions about programs, pedagogy, and curriculum.
2. Program Review - This is the key instrument for evaluating institutional educational effectiveness. How do we use results of program reviews and integrate information for planning and budgeting? Eric Boyce, from PHS has put together an inventory across the university of what each unit does regarding assessment.
3. Student Success - Undergraduate success in first to second year persistence and 6 year graduation rate. Goal is 90% for persistence it has been in mid-80% range. 6 year graduation rate goal is 75%, but we have been in the high 60% range. We are doing all the right things, such as first year programs, cohorts, capstones and experiential learning, but still not meeting goals. There are demographic variations, diversity issues, Caucasian and Asian are more successful than under-represented groups. Rates also vary by program (professional schools versus exploratory). Students placed in skills courses have a lower success rate, especially math, they are at 8% below the school average over time. Financial factors versus success rate is ambiguous...lower income financial need students are a little more successful.

The university is well positioned for what's coming next from WASC: oral/written communication, information literacy, mathematical, critical thinking, etc. In the future we will have to be able to provide information on these topics/issues.

President Eibeck, Provost Pallavicini and Chris Goff once again thanked Brian for his efforts. We will follow-up again in March.

12. University Awards - Executive Session


Meeting adjourned 4:50 with motion by S. Carr-Lopez, seconded by L. Wrischnik