• Print

December 9, 2010

Academic Council
December 9th, 2010
Library Community Room
3-5 pm

Attendance:
Business:
J. Post (p), S. Wheeler (a)
Conservatory: F. Hsiao (p), P. Langham (p)
College: M. Bates, (p), S. Giraldez (p), C. Goff (p), M. Hatch (a), J. Lessard (p), J. Lu (p), P. Meyer (p), C. Ostberg (p), L. Rademacher (p), T. Storch (p), C. Vierra (p)
Dental: L. Giusti (a), D. Horlak (p), J. Miles (p)
Education: H. Arnold (p), T. Nelson (a)
Emeriti: R. di Franco (p)
Engineering: H. Estrada (a), C. Lee (a)
Law: G. Caplan (a), W. Jones (p), M. Vitiello (p)
Library: S. Sutton (a)
PHS: S. Carr-Lopez (p), W. Chan (a), T. Little (p), L. Norton (a), C. Peterson (p)
SIS: A. Kanna (p)
ASUOP: tbd
Ex-Officio: P. Eibeck (p), P. Ferrillo (p), B. Gundersen (a), H. Trexler (p), L. Langley (a)
Observer:  D. McNiel (a)

Call to order: 3:09

1. Approval of minutes from the November 11, 2010, H. Arnold moved to approve, P. Langham seconded; approved unanimously.

2. Chair’s Report-
The spring all faculty meeting will be scheduled for February or March. The executive board will work with Law and Dental to finalize date, and also inquire if the Provost is available to attend. Chair Giraldez asked Council to send her a list any work overloads and amount of time it takes for advising, teaching, office hours, committee meetings, letter of recommendations etc. A survey with the specific overload duties will be complied into a survey for a better assessment. 

The Presidential task force on diversity had a slight change to its charge, the taskforce will be reviewing and moving forward. The Spirit and Core Identify taskforce will be chaired by Judy Chambers. The taskforce will need faculty input.
A new Registrar has been appointed, Ann Gillen. The new CIO, Malik Rahman, will begin on February 1st, he will be invited to Council at a future meeting date.

A possible January meeting may need to be scheduled, details will be announced.

3. President’s Report-
President Eibeck discussed the estimated time of completion of the modified taskforces and is confident they are better charged. The diversity taskforce will require faculty input in developing a strategic plan that should take a year 1 ½ to complete. The Budget taskforce will be a multiyear group. By next May, we should have a report by the Veterans taskforce. Lastly, the International taskforce chaired by Cynthia Weick should take 18 months to complete.

President Eibeck discussed the Jane Doe lawsuit with Council.

4. Provost Report-
Provost Ferrillo thanked the faculty for working with him, and looked forward to continue to advance the University as a whole. Dr. Ferrillo will work on a few transition projects with the new Provost. 

5. What’s on your mind?
With the increase in number of freshmen and the increase in interest to dual degree programs, is there a plan to continue to offer the Pacific experience for new students? At the February meeting, Rob Alexander will be invited to present projections and give an enrollment update.

Council inquired if adjunct faculty were being adequately compensated because of the economy? There is no formal orientation to adjuncts and training varies across units.  The question will be forwarded to the Professional Relations Committee.

In regards to the 3 city campus project: What challenges are being expected? Can Council play a role in discussions for pilot programs, and offering programs at distant locations? The logistics group will share the identified challenges and provide a report to Council.

6. Introduce New Registrar-
Former Associate Registrar, Ann Gillen was appointed University Registrar. Ann thanked Council for her welcome and looked forward to continue working with faculty and the Registrar’s Office staff.

7. Academic Calendar-
Ann Gillen presented the 2011/12 Academic Calendar for approval. The calendar follows the approved guidelines on structuring the calendar. The calendar includes early registration and a shorter grace period. Pacific Day is scheduled halfway between the spring semester. Pacific Day replaces the former “travel day”, it is a non instructional workday. C. Peterson moved to approve, T. Storch seconded; approved unanimously.

8. Faculty Statement re: Jane Doe Lawsuit
Updates regarding the Jane Doe lawsuit were discussed.

9. Adjournment: 4:58pm