• Print

February 13, 2014

Academic Council Meeting
Library Community Room
3:00-5:00 pm

AGENDA

Attendance:
Business: J. Post (p), S. Walchli (p)
Conservatory: F. Hsiao (p), B. Phillips (a)
College: M. Bates (p), K. Burmeister (p), C. Dobbs (a), B. Herrin (a), K. Holland (p), C. Lehmann (a), M. Normand (p), A. Smith (a), C. Snell (p), B. Swagerty (p), L. Wrischnik (p)
Dental: F. Fendler (p), A. Nattestad (a), R. White (a)
Education: H. Arnold (p), T. Nelson (p), L. Webster (a)
Emeriti: R. di Franco (p)
Engineering: D. Cliburn (p), L. Lee (p)
Law: L. Carter (p), F. Galves (a), W. Jones (p)
Library: R. Imhof (p)
PHS: L. Boles (p), S. Carr-Lopez (p), J. Ward-Lonergan (p), C. Wilson (p)
SIS: A. Kanna (p)
ASUOP: S. Medina (a), tbd
Ex-Officio: P. Eibeck (p), M. Pallavicini (p), D. Neault (p), J. Ren (p)
Observers: B. Gundersen (a), J. Lohr (p)
Guests: C. Cox, A. Gillen, L. Matz, P. Meckley, G. Ongaro

Call to Order @ 3:01

I. Consent Agenda
A. December 12, 2013 Minutes
B. FHB Revision 8.7.7 Probationary Period Extension for Tenure Track Faculty
C. FHB Revisions Article 5.A.2.1, Sections 6.2.2, 6.2.3, 6.2.4, 6.2.6, 6.2.7, 6.2.9, 6.2.10, 6.2.11, 6.2.17 (various minor committee revisions due to COP/SIS Merger document)

II. Reports
A. Chairperson's Report - Marlin Bates
i. Student Morale Question
Regent Walter Robb asked about student morale at Pacific and Marlin would like faculty feedback via email.
ii. Regents Meeting summary
Marlin is pleased to report that the relationship is improving between faculty and the regents. The morning before the regent's meeting, Courtney and Marlin had breakfast with Regents Janssen and Callahan. The relationship is better than before with active communication.
iii. All-Faculty Meeting Questions
One week from today is the all-faculty meeting (actually two weeks) at McGeorge at 12:00 pm (actually 12:30 pm) with a satellite meeting here in this room (Library Community Room). Marlin is asking for faculty questions to be submitted prior to the meeting, by next week, so that they may be forwarded and answered by the Provost and the President. Please talk to your constituents and forward their questions. One important question to ask is, why aren't more of our colleagues involved and serving? It seems to be the same people participating. In order to have a fully governing body it is important to have a variety and a fully inclusive governing body.

The PAC+ will begin its review of the Academic Administrative Programs soon, and the recommendations will be out shortly thereafter. Academic Affairs is reviewing the academic program reports (CART) as a whole.

Regarding staff layoffs, some faculty have expressed concerns and Marlin has spoken with the President, Rich Rojo and Jane Lewis. Data is confidential, but he is willing to speak with faculty one on one.

Summer School compensation will be brought forward next month by the Faculty Compensation Committee, but there will be additional information on our sakai site.

B. President's Report - Pam Eibeck
The President reported on her trip to Washington DC last week where she attended a national conference of presidents of private non-profit institutions. They meet once a year to go to capitol hill and advocate for PELL grants and other financial aid. Its also an opportunity to be briefed on higher education policies. There is a need to reauthorize the higher education act. Nothing much has changed with the white house and the Scorecard. This initiative is to have a website that clearly reports data on all higher education institutions. They are still focused on the six-year graduation rates, and the average amount of loans upon graduation. They are also still including graduates' salaries 18 months post-graduation. The administration wants congress to act to link performance on these measures with the ability of these schools to get student aid. Unlikely that this will happen this year, but it may happen in the future due to non-profits.

There is an issue with the growth of for-profit institutions as they currently have access to Title IV federal financial aid. The expansion is for the for-profits. 14% of students in college go to for-profit institutions and 25% of pell grant funds go to for-profits. Yet, the record of success at these schools is poor.

Pacific has to be deeply committed to our student success. She is proud of Pacific and where we are headed.

When she met with Senator Feinstein's new higher education lead-person, the first question asked was, What is our graduation rate? Default rate? How much is tuition? And why is the school of pharmacy so expensive? It's a new era in federal higher education policies.

She is sad to report on Professor Ray Sylvester's passing - a great Pacifican.

Joel Lohr has prepared a response to the Methodist church. Our highest priority is quality academics and values aligned with Methodist institutions. This is a draft report which Council may want to view or invite Joel to a future meeting.

Title IX used to be gender in athletics and equal opportunity. It has now expanded and is merging issues related to sexual assault, harassment and the general treatment of women. It has also expanded to include employees, and not just students. VPSL Patrick Day has been working with HR, as now title IX also impacts employees. They will turn to AC for engagement as well.

March 7th is the dedication of the San Francisco Campus, where all are invited to attend.

C. Provost's Report - Maria Pallavicini
Update on Regents' Academic Affairs Committee - they approved the MS Food Studies and the certificate program, as well as the Doctorate of Audiology. The Audiology program will enroll students in summer of 2015, and Food Studies will enroll for fall 2015. Both programs will be in San Francisco.

Issues that are involved when we implement a distant program include: IT, Faculty, student registration, access to financial aid. We want this effort to be seamless for the students. We also have to keep in mind that adult learners are quite different than 18-22 year olds.

A project manager has been identified for the Music Therapy Program. This is an existing program that will enroll students in San Francisco for fall 2014.

Another program that is currently in the pipeline is a masters in Data Analytics - this is a joint effort from COP and the Schools of Business and Engineering. There is a need to obtain additional information from prospective employers. Ken Collier, from ThoughtWorks has been hired to work with pacific and faculty to put together a program that we can take to the regents by January of next year.

Other possible programs: Should we have a Business and Policy Program in Sacramento, using the strength of the Law School and our liberal arts program? The Deans have been working with business school faculty on redesigning the MBA. Jeff Michaels, from the forecasting center and the dean's will be conducting market analysis for new business programs. Also exploring a Masters in Tax Accounting. It's important to take advantage of our Sacramento location. We will continue to explore the possibility of a graduate program in Business and Policy.

Structural issues/considerations regarding summer school have been brought forward. There have been a number of suggestions about what to do and she will begin conversations with the Faculty Compensation Committee, and the Deans. She made the decision to n to not make any changes this summer since there hasn't been enough time to address these issues.

She will also be meeting with grad program chairs next week to discuss issues regarding the graduate division and if it should be structured differently. The Administrative Report stated that the Graduate Division and the Office of Research needs to be reorganized. There were similar issues with International Program Services, with complaints from students and deans. She will report next month on the outcome of these meetings.

Next month she would like to discuss educational effectiveness. We are moving forward with the WASC reports on workload, retention issues and student success, including program review and the Academic Affairs Committee.

Regarding Academic Planning and Alignment: Thanks to all the report writers for the great job on the reports. The reports are being reviewed holistically by university community now. A schedule was distributed that will be sent out to the community via email tomorrow. There will be an opportunity for website feedback. The feedback timeline is during spring break.

III. Action Items
A. 2014-2015 Proposed Academic Calendar
Revised calendars were distributed. The Law School already approved their 2014-15 calendar as well as the Dental School through 2015-16. These are linked from the Stockton website.

We are still beginning the spring semester a week later in January. The School of Pharmacy is labeling their terms to be consistent with the Stockton Campus: fall, spring, and summer. There were a few changes to the main campus calendar: Graduate fall orientation, International Orientation and the pharmacy start date. The deans asked about having a 14 week term, but due to financial aid requirements this is not possible. Homecoming weekend and fall break day do not coincide and this is intentional as we want student on campus for homecoming.

L. Wrischnik moves to approve, L. Boles seconds, unanimous approval.

B. FHB Revision 7.11.1 & 7.11.2 Hearing Procedures for Grievances
The context of this revision is to bring the handbook into alignment with current practice. There is more explanation/detail provided. A question was raised about emeriti faculty being able to represent faculty in the administrative process.

Move directly to a vote as a motion isn't necessary since this was brought forward by a faculty committee.

Unanimous approval.

C. FHB Revision 6.4.4 University Facilities Committee
Priscilla Meckley, chair of the committee presenting: the committee is changing its charge and committee name. The committee was approved in 1998 with changes made in 2002. In the last 12 years many things have changed and the committee is trying to be reflective of the university as it is today. They adjusted the charge/responsibilities and broadened the scope to include space management. The membership has also changed to include a three-city perspective.

A redlined version of the changes is being requested by member of Academic Council
T. Nelson moves to table, C. Wilson seconds. The redlined version will be presented at the March meeting.

D. FHB Revision 5.2 Bylaws of the Faculty and the Academic Council, Article 7.2.4 Election of Committee Members
This change has come forward from the AC Executive Board. The rationale is that openings for committees come up all the time in the middle of the year. The faculty handbook currently states that all permanent and interim vacancies must follow the procedure outlined in the handbook for each individual committee. This change will allow the executive board to appoint interim absences due to resignations or leaves and then the appointment will be confirmed by the entire AC at the next available meeting.

R. Imhof moves to approve. B. Swagerty seconds, unanimous approval.

E. FHB Revision: Department Name/Unit Name Change - 5.2.3.3 Joint Responsibilities AND 6.2.1 Academic Affairs Committee
When Sport Sciences changed their name, there was no process for this and it was identified that the handbook needed to be updated. The language was drafted but never approved by AC. Chris Goff prepared this document last year and we are now requesting AC approval making department name changes a joint responsibility of faculty and administration. The Department Name Change Form was approved last year by Academic Council.

R. diFranco moves to approve, B. Swagerty seconds, unanimous approval

F. Executive Session: University Awards Committee
The Academic Council entered into Executive Session.

IV. Information Items
A. Faculty Workload Policy - Caroline Cox
Caroline is working on the development of a faculty workload policy, assigned by the provost. This is a WASC requirement. She has been on a ‘reading' campaign during the month of January, gathering information from peer institutions and is now on ‘listening' campaign meeting with various constituencies.

She has developed a timeline: The report/policy is due to WASC in March of 2015, and the policy needs to be approved in January 2015 by the Board of Regents. She would like to submit a draft of the policy to AC for the April/May meeting and at the beginning of fall semester will send updated version for final approval. She has met with most constituencies already.

She is going to do some historical research and meet with emeriti faculty (diFranco, Fletcher). Caroline has reviewed the workload policies of about 25 institutions. Most institutions' policies defer to deans, chairs, etc. to work out a policy with their faculty. The goal is to give the dean's some flexibility, but also give something to the faculty - to hold in their hand when issues may arise.

Some issues discovered apply to everyone, and some are purely administrative, such as unfair or preferential scheduling of courses. There are university-wide level issues, including graduate programs along with their professional workload and thesis supervision being unacknowledged as work. She has also identified inequity of how a graduate course load is counted in relation to undergraduate courses. Service is viewed as positive, however there is a negative feeling when there is a surprise increase in the workload level then initially expected. Some institutions rank service by a level of intensity (high, middle, light). Middle rank faculty is left to their own choices for committee involvement.

Some units grant newly hired members of faculty a course release in their first year of teaching. This practice was unknown to some units (social sciences, humanities).

There is a general feeling that since ‘experiential learning' is part of Pacific's mission and strategic plan, this needs to be addressed in the workload policy as well.

Other universities generally do not address workload related to assessment. Advising is not mentioned at other institutions 99% of the time, it is included as part of teaching. At our university there are a variety of strategies. A possible suggestion is to have one person per unit in charge of advising, or have an advising center attached to the career center. Advising in the professional schools is concentrated.

What does she need from us? What does she envision the policy looking like? Texas A&M has a masterful two paragraph policy. Our progress toward unit centered budgeting could lead to giving the deans more latitude.

The policy should be vague enough to give units autonomy and specific enough to give faculty the tools they need.

Everyone is quite sure that they are working very hard and that they are working harder than everyone else.

V. What's On Your Mind?

Jianhua Ren asked the provost: How much weight will the CART weighting have on the overall recommendation? Not sure yet, waiting for CART to be completed and then they can analyze. towards the end of next week, will put out information piece on ratings and what they mean. They will not be totaling up ratings, this is not useful.

What are the criteria that are important for quality programs? She is currently interpreting the data. She will be looking holistically at the programs, and speaking with the deans about the recommendations, asking questions. The scoring is not uniform across all criteria. This process was initially designed to have one university-wide rating team. Unit based ratings have had challenges.

Annual reports will continue, but the level of detail will not be to this extent. We need to determine what we want to know about quality and student success. We are all learning through this process, these current reports are a snapshot.

The president appreciates the conversations that are going on at the university during this process, specifically about quality. Thanks.

CART is using the same criteria, but they only reviewed a random sample - using the same rubric, trying to get an idea of the consistency across units. They found that the rubric/ratings were not used consistently from school to school.

A possible Grievance Committee issue was raised as currently both tenured and non-tenured faculty can serve on this committee. It should probably be only tenured faculty. Marlin was asked to raise this issue with the grievance committee.

The call for nominations will be coming out soon and we are searching for a chair-elect for Academic Council to be a non-COP candidate as the current chair and chair-elect are both from COP and balance is needed and recommended. Please email Harriett Arnold with candidates.

Reminder to request questions for the All-Faculty Meeting.

The provost is also asking for input on the Graduate School and Caroline Cox should be emailed with workload issues.

Go tigers - men's basketball versus BYU tonight!


Adjournment @ 4:57 pm