• Print

February 14, 2013

Academic Council Meeting
Library Community Room
3:00 - 5:00 PM

MINUTES

Attendance:
Business: W. Ouyang (p), S. Wheeler (p)
Conservatory: F. Hsiao (p), B. Phillips (p)
College: M. Bates (p), C. Goff (p), B. Herrin (a), J. Juge (a), C. Lehmann (p), J. Lu (p), L. Rademacher (p), A. Smith (a), C. Snell (p), B. Swagerty (p), L. Wrischnik (p)
Dental: J. Miles (a), A. Nattestad (p), R. White (a)
Education: H. Arnold (p), T. Nelson (p), L. Webster (p)
Emeriti: R. di Franco (p)
Engineering: C. Lee (a), D. Cliburn (p)
Law: L. Carter (p), F. Galves (p), W. Jones (p)
Library: R. Imhof (p)
PHS: L. Boles (p), S. Carr-Lopez (p), J. Ward-Lonergan (p), C. Wilson (a)
SIS: A. Kanna (p)
ASUOP: K. Dantzler (p), tbd
Ex-Officio: P. Eibeck (p), M. Pallavicini (p), B. Gundersen (a), D. Neault (a)
Guests: Stefanie Naumann , Peg Ciccolella, Peter Meyer, Jane Lewis, Heather Dunn Carlton, Ann Gillen

Call to Order @ 3:00 pm

Introductions and Welcome by Chair.
I. Approval of Consent Agenda
A. December, 2012 Minutes
B. Handbook Revision 8.14.5 University Services of Benefit to Spouses and Domestic Partners of Deceased Emeriti
C. Handbook Revision 8.14.6 University Services of Benefit to Spouses and Domestic Partners of Deceased Emeriti Faculty and Administrators with Ten or More Years of Service
D. New Program: MS in Law
E. Faculty Representative for service on the Vice President of Student Life Selection Committee: Gene Pearson
Chair called for approval of the consent agenda: passed with one abstention.

The meeting entered into Executive Session, see Item III below.

II. Reports
A. Chairperson's Report - Harriett Arnold
i. New Faculty Development Activities for spring 2013
Chris Goff reported that the last new faculty luncheon was held on January 31st from noon to 1:00 pm with only two new faculty attending. For the February luncheon, he is going to invite last year's new faculty as well and have an unstructured meeting. In March/April they will have their last session and will meet with the Promotion &Tenure committee. Carol Brodie also attended this session last year and reviewed research opportunities.
ii. Staff Council Meeting recommendation: Summer Hours Survey Report
Kristina Juarez, Chairperson of the SAC met with the Academic Council Executive Board. She would like to inform faculty of the four recommendations that resulted from the survey:
- Standardize summer coverage similar to the McGeorge campus w/alternating shifts.
- 4/10/40 or 9/8/80 work week schedule with modifications for the 37.5 Pacific work schedule.
- Essential Department Model - Identify the essential departments that would be required to maintain regular hours.
- Don't change anything.
Faculty survey participation was about 40.
iii. Board of Regents January 2013 Meeting
Marlin and Harriett attended in San Francisco.
iv. Spring All-Faculty Meeting
February 26, 2013, in San Francisco and video conferenced to Stockton in the Taylor Conference Room - all are invited to attend from 1-2 pm.
v. President's Advisory Committee Meeting
This meeting is next week, the January meeting focused on the implementation plan for Pacific 2020.
vi. March Academic Council Meeting location change
Next month's meeting on March 21 will be in DUC 211.
vii. Special BOR (Academic Affairs Committee)/AC meeting
March 28th, 1-2 pm, location DUC 211 - All council members who are available are invited to attend.

B. President's Report - P. Eibeck
The President just returned from a trip to Washington DC where she attended two national conferences for Presidents: one for Methodist Related University Presidents, and another for all Presidents of Private (non-profit) universities. She is proud to be the President of Pacific. The government is tracking success by the income levels 18 months after graduation. She spoke with Congresswoman Jackie Speier - a friend of higher education. She asked the presidents how universities are cutting costs and how we are making college valuable and more affordable to students. This leads to what we accomplished last year with Pacific 2020, and everyone on campus coming together to develop our strategic plan. Students are looking for a return on investment of their degree. There is a serious drop in enrollment for law schools. How do we move forward with our strategic plan? The status quo requires us to rely on tuition increases. We have to do something different. FY14 is a very modest budget with a small tuition increase. We are changing how we do things now to prepare for the future (Pacific 2020). In order to be efficient, we have to reduce the number of things that we do. We need to be efficient and focused with the funds for our future. We must be wise stewards of our student's tuition and our donor's gifts. We try to do too much. We try to be everything to everybody. We must look at what we're doing and do less. We have to make some hard choices. By being more efficient and more focused we can identify the funds we need to invest in our future.

Everyone on campus received a letter yesterday regarding FY15 and the goal to pull together $15 million to invest in a bold future that is guided by our strategic plan. We have time to plan. This spring we will think about what process and framework to follow for the reallocation. There will be lots of discussion and feedback. She will announce in August a structure process for the reallocation. This will push down the decisions where they need to be and the proposals will come from the individual units on how the changes will happen. Right now is a discussion time. McGeorge is making real cuts now and is not required to go through the reallocation. By July 1, 2014, the reductions in expenditures will be in place for the non-academic units. Academic units will have one additional year. The reality is that this won't be easy. The reallocations will be reinvested as soon as this fiscal year. $500,000 is being put aside this fiscal year and another $500,000 will go into the pool this summer and we'll have $1 million to invest in one year; $5 million for the following two years and then the residual after that. It's a time to think about choices and trade-offs. While it's hard to let go of some things it's also an opportunity to think about using funds to do new things that weren't possible before. The essence of Pacific 2020 is that we are going to be offering quality programs that students want based on the reputation and quality of these programs. We are going to build on the reputation of our health-related fields, but we are absolutely going to embrace our diversity. This is what makes us strong, our liberal arts and other professional programs. We will expand the students we serve, including adult learners, in a non-traditional manner. We can leverage our locations in three cities, leverage technology, and we can think beyond this. Another goal is to integrate career planning into every student's education from the start. We must ensure lifelong allegiance to bettering pacific (alumni).

The next 10 months are going to be difficult. Her goal is to be honest, transparent and communicate widely. The President, the Provost and the VP for Business and Finance will be available to groups on campus. This is going to be a process of engagement. Will meet with IPC first, now through March 21. A draft will go out - looking for input/reaction. She will be respectful and compassionate to the people affected. She is committed to empowering our faculty and staff to have the skills for a successful future. Pacific 2020 will guide our decisions in this process. She is optimistic about our future. We have to become focused and efficient to have this strong future.

Question: When was the decision for the 10% reallocation made? Changes can start to happen regarding Pacific 2020 with 10% of current funds. There isn't time to cost out Pacific 2020, this would take 3 years, but with 10% we can start implementing plans. 10% of our unrestricted budget of Stockton and Dugoni is about $20 million. She decided to shoot for $15 million as a better target. This is a trade-off with being able to implement new programs without having to do a complete restructuring, but a reallocation. The issue was focus and/or new initiatives? With a drop in enrollment at the law school, it was decided that we needed to take action fast. She met with the Regent's in executive session at the January meeting, met with the Cabinet, travelled to Washington, had meetings upon her return, and sent out the information yesterday.

There is a stable budget for FY14 and there is time for the process to occur without it feeling rushed. This still feels rushed to faculty. A draft will go out to faculty for feedback on March 25th. She would like faculty and academic council to submit responses.

C. Provost's Report - Maria Pallavicini
The CTL Director position is now posted and she is encouraging individuals to apply internally and externally. Rob Alexander is moving on to Millsaps College, she is going to hire a search firm to recruit a new enrollment manager. Tim Naccarato from the Law School will step in as the interim enrollment manager part-time until May and then full-time. She is asking council to identify faculty for the joint committee to hire the permanent replacement.

A joint task force has been formed to work on the Pacific 2020 plan of having Intentional Career Planning and Advising for all students with members from Academics and Student Life. They will develop a plan to create a coordinated approach to academic and career advising. They will look at what our peer institutions are doing.

CLARIS, the OIT consultant, is here on site to advise us on how OIT can be best positioned to help achieve the goals of Pacific 2020. They will provide a report in a few months which should be very helpful to us.

The Regent's Academic Affairs Committee is having joint meeting with Academic Council to review/discuss their charter and responsibilities, and their bylaws. Connie Callahan the chair of this committee wants to meet with AC/Executive Board. The goal is to understand the authority of the regents, what's delegated to Academic Affairs, to the President, etc.

III. Executive Session

IV. Action Items
A. Department Name Change Proposal Form - Chris Goff
This item was tabled from the September meeting. The FHB does not state how a department name change occurs. The determination is that it be a joint responsibility of the faculty and the administration. The FHB change was made, and this form is the process portion. The update made to the form is a signature line for the Council of Deans. A question was asked about the failure to obtain a signature and if this would stop the process. All listed signatures would have to sign for the name change to occur. If they are on the form, they are an involved party and would be involved in the discussion and decision.
Motion to approve by M. Bates, second by R. diFranco , 1 opposed, 1 abstention, motion passes.

B. University Sexual Harassment Policy - Jane Lewis
Jane presented the final version and explained the changes made. This policy will be updated to stay current with the law. It will go to cabinet next for final review.
Motion to approve M. Bates, W. Jones seconds, motion passes with 2 abstentions

C. Handbook Revision 6.4.2 Judicial Review Board/Hearing Officer
Heather Dunn Carlton is in attendance to review the next two items. This item has come forward from the Faculty Handbook project, as an area where clarification is needed. Lou Matz, Peggy Rosson, Heather and C. Goff met to discuss the student grievance process and the academic grievance board (faculty committee).
FHB Section 6.4.2 states that there are two faculty, one administrator and three students on a Board. In the last five years, practice has been to have only one faculty member on the review board. This change is to make the handbook consistent with current practice.
Motion to approve, M. Bates, second B. Phillips, 1 opposed, motion passes.

D. Handbook Revision 6.2.13 Student Academic Grievance Board and 11.26 Student Academic Grievance Policy and Procedures
L. Matz contact Chris because the language in the FHB for this board deals mainly with grade grievances, and there are other academic grievances that may arise, such as obtaining incorrect academic advising, and this is the appropriate venue for those grievances. Additional changes are because this office is no longer the office of Judicial Affairs, but is now called the office of Student Conduct and Community Standards in accordance with national standards and to move away from a legalistic name to an academic name. The goal is to clarify the process for students, so they know the appropriate venue for issues. A question was raised on a grievable issue regarding items in the syllabus. We are providing the students an avenue, not a guarantee that they will prevail. A question was raised about the deletion of having ASuop participate in the nomination process of student members. Again, this has not been past practice for the last five years. ASuop has not been involved, however training is open and available to all students interested in participating in this process. And students have been active in these hearings.

K. Dantzler moves to amend the motion to include the appointment of students by ASuop, second by C. Lehmann. Discussion is that this has not worked in the past and this would limit the appointment of students to ASuop and not have it be open to the entire student body that is interested in participating in this process. C. Snell moves to amend the amendment with the following language "in consultation with the President of ASuop." C. Lehmann seconds, amendments are voted on and passed.

Motion to approve the Handbook Revisions by M. Bates, W. Jones seconds, 1 opposed, 1 abstention, motion passes.

E. Handbook Addition 3.7.1 Policy on Administrative Relocation of Academic Units
The language has been vetted and approved by the President and the Provost.

M. Bates moves to approve, W. Jones seconds, motion approved.

F. 2013-2014 Proposed Academic Calendar: Ann Gillen
The original proposed calendar was created based on the procedure that has been approved over the years. There has been an issue (complaints) with the early start date to the spring semester. There have been problems with orientation and returning to school on January 1. Academic Affairs has made two amendments and policy changes to the academic calendar: eliminate Pacific Day, and eliminate the week between summer and fall and add that week to the beginning of January. She discussed the amended calendar with Financial Aid and Student Accounts, and the changes all fit with no issues. It has not been discussed with Athletics or Commencement yet. This has not been vetted to a larger group since it just happened at Academic Affairs last Thursday. It is presented for discussion. Academic Affairs is aware that this has not been vetted to a larger group yet and Council may want to delay this proposal one year, but they are putting it forward for 2013-14. If there are issues, there are work-arounds that can be done. For example, the last time the calendar process was revised there was an impact to Athletics and spring break events. This can be accommodated this year, by leaving spring break week as originally planned.

S. Wheeler moves to approve the amended calendar, C. Lehmann seconds, motion passed with three abstentions.

V. Information Items
A. IPC Report: Peg Ciccolella and Peter Meyer
An IPC Forum will be held on February 26th in Grace Covell at 3pm.
Peg reviewed the presentation for the forum with Academic Council. IPC voted on this preliminary version last week. She reviewed the IPC composition and charge: to make budget recommendations to the President that are consistent with the strategic plan regarding net available; primary source of revenue increase is from tuition; an incremental budgeting model is used. She also reviewed the fall 2012 agenda items/discussion. She reviewed the 4 specific issues that President Eibeck asked the IPC to focus on in framing FY14 recommendations:
1. Tuition Rate Changes - recommend increase by 3.9 %, increase university funded aid by 4.5%, no increase in mandatory fees, FY 14 Tuition will be $39,290 and Fees of $520
2. Merit Raises - recommend increase by 2%, $1,528,000
3. Mandatory Expenses - mandatory $1.7 million, non-mandatory$2.3 million
4. Strategic Plan - Pacific 2020 $500,000

In Summary: total sources $6,109.000, total uses $6,112,000

February 26 Campus forum 3-5 pm Grace Covell
March 12 IPC finalized recommendations to president
April 18 President's recommendations to Board of Regents

Committee question: When did IPC find out about the reallocation (letter from the President that went out to the entire University on Wednesday)? On Tuesday of this week - this impacts FY15.

The Faculty Compensation Committee (FCC) has not been informed of the 2% merit increase. The IPC met with Pat Cavanaugh. This committee is concerned about receiving information ‘after the fact.' They would like to have a three-year target, not year-to-year. Peg would like to meet with FCC in March/April. The new chair of FCC is Geoff Lin-Cereghino.
B. Staff Council Report- addressed in Chair's report

C. Honor Code and Disability Statement Template - tabled


Adjournment