• Print

March 15, 2012

Minutes

Academic Council
March 15, 2012, 3-5 pm
Library Community Room
Stockton

Attendance:
Business: J. Post (p), P. Hilsenrath (p)
Conservatory: F. Hsiao (p), B. Phillips (p)
College: M. Bates (p), S. Giraldez (p), C. Goff (p), K. Holland (p), C. Lehmann (a), J. Lu (p), L. Rademacher (p), C. Snell (p), T. Storch (p), B. Swagerty (p), L. Wrischnik (p)
Dental: L. Giusti (p), J. Miles (p), R. White (a)
Education: H. Arnold (p), T. Nelson (p), L. Webster (a)
Emeriti: R. di Franco (a)
Engineering: C. Lee (p) C. Mathews (a)
Law: G. Caplan (a), W. Jones (p), M. Vitiello (a)
Library: S. Sutton (p)
PHS: S. Carr-Lopez (p), X. Guo (p), T. Phelan (p), J. Ward-Lonergan (p)
SIS: A. Kanna (a)
ASUOP: tbd
Ex-Officio: P. Eibeck (a), M. Pallavicini (p), B. Gundersen (a), D. Neault (p), S. King (p)
Guests: P. Schroeder, M. Black, A. DeWees, B. Moore, C. Ludwig, J. Baker, M. VanNess, D. Kitchen, L. Koehler, L. Killick, B. Klunk


Meeting called to order at 3:00

1. Consent Agenda - Minutes of February 9, 2012
Chair Goff did not receive any requests to pull item from consent agenda; therefore the minutes are approved.

Megan Black and Austin Dewees, students, presented information about "Relay for Life;" they are encouraging faculty to participate this year. This is a 24 hour American Cancer Society event where the theme is "Cancer never sleeps and neither do we." Recommend 3-4 person teams, it is $10 to register and they would like to raise $100 per team.
Bill Swagerty presented information about the 59th California History Institute symposium which will look at the role women played in shaping California. The event is March 23-24, and there will be a bus trip to Sacramento to tour the "California's Remarkable Women" exhibit at the California State Museum/California Hall of Fame. He has grant money available for students to attend. The event continues on Saturday at Grace Covell Hall with Edie Sparks as the opening speaker and Jennifer Helgren as the closing speaker. Fee is $30 to faculty/staff - budget transfers allowed - 20 complimentary openings for students, and 15 seats on bus. If you know of students interested, let Bill know.

2. Chair's Report - C. Goff
The spring All-Faculty Meeting was held at McGeorge in Sacramento on February 13th. The law school presented a report on enrollment pressures and changes in the legal profession. Announcement to executive board: pilot testing of the on-line voting system will occur this week and then go "live" in a few weeks when the ballot is put together. The Call for Nominations will be going out next week. We will be using Survey Monkey for this. Please nominate yourself and colleagues. The on-line election is only for a small number of committees that are elected by the faculty at large, or at a specific campus. Most of the committees are elected by Academic Council, and we will be distributing ballots, once the nominations are in. WASC is coming to campus April 2-4. The faculty forum will be on Tuesday, April 3rd from 12-1pm. The next provost newsletter will have the detailed WASC schedule and answers to frequently asked questions.

3. President's Report - P. Eibeck is out of town, not available today.

4. Provost's Report - M. Pallavicini
Reiterated WASC visit, meeting with various faculty and staff committees, faculty, students, VP of student life, people involved with student retention, student success, and affordability. The EER report has section on student success and it's on-line; take a look at it prior to faculty forum. The university has had to provide 13 addendums to the EER report. One is the course credit hour policy and the processes and procedures for adhering to this policy. We didn't have a defined policy. She worked with Academic Affairs (AA) to create a policy and worked with deans to come up with policy to audit, responsibility will lie within each school. AA also defined course types - lecture, seminar, clinical, lab, etc.
Personnel changes - Tom Krise is leaving the university, has accepted the position of President at Pacific Lutheran University. The process to appoint an interim dean has begun and the dean search committee process will be discussed later in this meeting. The interim dean should be announced by next week. An Institutional Effectiveness Director has been hired, David Hemenway. He will be overseeing the program review process for Academic, Administrative and co-curricular programs across all three campuses; as well as chair the Institutional Effectiveness Committee (IEC), a pilot committee to look at program review institutionally. Vice provost candidates are being interviewed. Paul Paton from law school and three others are being brought forward. She is negotiating with Sheila O'Rourke to become a university ombudsman for faculty issues (mediation) prior to grievance process. She will work part-time for a few years and see if it's useful, a contract position, not reporting to anyone in particular.
Strategic Planning - community symposium in SF and SAC and will have one in Stockton, with community stakeholders. The regents are going to have a ½ day retreat prior to the next official meeting. Still trying to keep regents at a high level in regards to strategic planning.
Met with a number of committees and reviewed stipends, faculty workload, and wants to add information to the provost's website for non-confidential information.
Question about ombudsmen and how/who they will report to. This is confidential, no details will come forward, only general information, such as met x number of times with a particular unit, but no details. Goal is to deal with issues before becoming a grievance, a resource referral.

5. Sakai Implementation Task Force and TEC (Technology in Education Committee)
Goal of this program: Student retention/success is a key challenge for students at UOP, since 33% of all students at Pacific are in remedial courses. Other universities have an early warning system in place, where faculty, students and administration are notified when there are academic issues. The system allows you to pick a certain period of time during the semester and calculates what the student's grade will be at the end of the semester. This system has been shown to be effective to increase student success. This will require the use of the electronic grade book in order to implement. The registrar would like all student grades to go from Sakai directly to Banner. IT would need to be involved in the implementation, and faculty would need to use the electronic gradebook. Goal is to have a committee look into creating this new system, and explore the capabilities of Sakai to make it happen. The process needs to be thought through. Looking to create a joint faculty, administrative task force. We have a Technology in Education Committee, however this is a faculty committee only, there are no administrators on it. Would like to include OIT, registrar's office, and others in a joint committee that reports to TEC and to council. This is an informational item at this time. Any comments? No comments forthcoming.

6. Resolution regarding Cal Grants
Resolution and fact sheet attached to agenda. A similar resolution was also passed by the Alumni Board, changes have been made to make resolution applicable to the faculty.
S. Giraldez moves to pass resolution, B. Swagerty seconds, motion carries with two abstentions.

7. Search Committee, COP Dean
Provost Pallavicini met with COP faculty yesterday to propose a structure for the COP Dean Search Committee. The AC determines the method for the search process per the faculty handbook. Proposed chair is Dean Ongaro from the Conservatory, six faculty from COP, two from each division, one non-COP faculty member recommended by College Council and Provost, along with additional non-faculty members presented on list (Alumnus, Student, staff-COP, Administrator external to COP). Sharmila King, Chair of COP faculty, is comfortable with the composition of the committee, and is thankful that the provost met with COP faculty and that this is a transparent process. If approved, she will send out call for nominations this evening and give a list of recommendations to the provost for the position that is not from COP. She will also include a call for student names on the call for nominations.
Motion to approve by B. Phillips, second by M. Bates, unanimously approved.

8. What's On Your Mind?
Microphone issue raised based on last month's meeting. The microphones in the Library Community Room should be muted until you are speaking. They pick up all movement.

Bill Swagerty mentioned that the Faculty Compensation Meeting Open Forum was cancelled and will look into an alternative date because it conflicts with the Presidents Open Town Hall Forum. However, there are other groups that are holding meetings at the same time and this practice should be looked into out of respect to the president. President's open forum may not be common knowledge. Reiterating a need for a central campus-wide calendar. Provost Pallavicini recommends inviting Malik Rahman to a future meeting to discuss technology needs.
Sian Carr-Lopez brought up issue regarding allowing non-tenure track faculty to participate on committees. Role of contingent faculty varies from unit to unit. This issue is starting to be discussed due to elections, and COP has shared information from a forum within COP with information from contingent faculty. There are many issues that cannot be university-wide because units use contingent faculty in different capacities. We may need to look at more categories for the handbook. Library also has faculty that are not adjunct, but they are non tenure-track and would like to be able to serve on committees. Provost is looking at various titles of faculty. Titles are listed in the faculty handbook, but not necessarily followed. Provost is gathering information and then will come back to Academic Council with this information.
Marlin Bates announced that one year from tomorrow (March 16, 2013), Pacific will be hosting the National Debate Championships. Expecting 500-600 students and 100-200 faculty. Will be using all rooms not in use, including PHS and library.
Burr Phillips extended an invitation to attend Mozart's Magic Flute, which begins tomorrow at the Faye Spanos concert hall.

9. Department Name Change: Sport Sciences - P. Schroeder

C. Snell moves to pull action item off table from last month's meeting, B. Phillips seconds.
Pete Schroeder and seven faculty members from department are in attendance. Motion to approve was tabled at last month's meeting to allow for more discussion between the department and other schools and administrators. Pete presented his department's rationale for the name change with a powerpoint presentation (attached to minutes). They are concerned that the name "sport sciences" is doing a disservice to students in the job market. Issues were raised regarding Public Health program being developed, School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences has issue about having two Health Science programs at Pacific in two different units, which may create some confusion in the future. At this time, the department is not willing to change the order of the new requested name: Department of Health, Exercise and Sport Sciences.
Call to Question by C. Snell, second by T. Nelson, motion to change name is approved with four nays and two abstentions.
C. Goff stated that we do not have a process at the University for a department name change. Today's process followed what Geosciences did in the past, and the approval request will be forwarded from Academic Council to the Provost and President's office. We need to create a process for department name changes: B. Swagerty expressed interest in working on this issue.

10. Faculty Workload Survey - Susan Giraldez
Susan presented the results and recommendations from the faculty workload survey. There were 54 questions on the survey. She also presented information from the HERI survey. Susan's documents for this presentation are attached to the minutes. Susan suggested that the individual units ask Institutional Research for data from the survey specific to your unit which may be helpful for future planning. The powerpoint presentation will be posted on Sakai.

11. WASC update - Brian Klunk
Three handouts distributed: WASC Educational Effectiveness Review Pre-Visit Briefing, Commission and Team Decision Indicators, The Educational Effectiveness Framework: Capacity and Effectiveness as They Relate to Student and Institutional Learning. The visiting team will be here in 17 days. The schedule will be finalized tomorrow morning and posted on the website: go.pacific.edu/WASC. There will be many opportunities for faculty to interact with the team. On Tuesday, April 3rd there will be an open forum in DUC 211 from 12-1. Team of seven coming out, same team that came out two years ago. WASC has opened a confidential email account open during the visit: uopvisits12@yahoo.com. Encouraging faculty to attend the open forum and spread the word to colleagues.
When team is finished with the visit they will make a recommendation-a reaffirmation of accreditation and recommend when to schedule the next visit (7-10 years). The team may also require us to submit an interim report. The three day visit will be in Stockton only, with teams from the two other campuses coming to Stockton. This is an overall three campus accreditation. At the end of the visit on Wednesday, April 4th at 11:00 in the DUC ballroom, the team will read a list of commendations and recommendations. He would like to encourage as many people as possible to attend. By the end of April they will send a report, and then we can respond to errors in fact. By mid-June the WASC commission holds its summer meetings and the president and provost will spend ½ hour with the panel from the commission answering questions, and making pleas if necessary. We will receive the action letter by the 4th of July, President shares it with the Board of Regents first and then with the university community.

Motion to adjourn M. Bates, second by C. Snell, meeting adjourned at 4:59.

Attachments: Cal Grant Resolution, Cal Grant Fact Sheet, Faculty Workload Survey Powerpoint Presentation