• Print

March 21, 2002

University of the Pacific – Stockton Campus
Academic Council Meeting
Minutes of March 21, 2002

Attendance:
Business: T. Brierton (a), N. Perry (a)
Conservatory: D. Brock (p), J. DeHaan (a), N. Waldvogel (a)
COP: B. Beal (p), B. Cox (p), M. Kelly (a), C. Kramer (p), C. Ostberg (p), M. Sharp (p), L. Spreer (p), D. Tedards (p), W. Zimmermann (a)
Dental: D. Castagna (a), R. Cohan (p), J. Cohen (a), J. Levy (a)
Education: M. Draheim (p), P. Hensley (p)
Emeriti: G. Blum (p)
Engineering: D. Besch (p), G. Litton (p)
Law: W. Jones (p), C. Manolakas (a), Glendalee Scully (p)
Library: R. Ray (p), T. Calvo (p)
Pharmacy: R. Abood (p), D. Fries (p), S. Smith (p)
SIS: S. Pasztor (p)
Students: A. Hudson (p), J. Farrell (a)
Ex-Officio: S. Blalock (a), J. Boelter (a), R. Brittin (a), R. Childs (p), A. Freedman (p), P. Gilbertson (p), B. Gundersen (p), K. Hughes (a), L. Knight (a), T. Kulisch (a), J. Livesey (a), J. Mansoor (a), F. Muskal (a), D. Parker (a), G. Pearson (a), S. Scully (p), C. Smith (a), D. Smith (a), L. Webster (a), B. Weick (a), B. West (a)
Guests: Ravi Jain, Julie Sina, Kerry KruegerDevine, Robert Calloway, Cyndi Ostberg, Allison Friedman, Susan Quinlan William, Eleanor Wittrup, Anita Bautista, Julie Greathouse, Monica Bebie, Marija Pearson

Chair Ron Ray called the meeting to order at 3:10 p.m.

1. Executive Session: Academic Council Members Only

Motion: Mike Sharp moved, Bob Cox seconded to discuss the nomination for honorary degree. Motion approved with 1 abstention.

2. Approval of Minutes

Motion: David Brock moved, Allison Friedman seconded to approve the minutes of February 14, 2002. Council made a friendly amendment to page 3, item 7 to replace “and improve” to read “and approved” after “develop” in the first sentence. Motion unanimously approved with amendment.

3. Chair’s Report

Chair Ray informed Council that chapter 12 of the Faculty Handbook regarding graduate academic policies is the only chapter remaining for discussion and action. The Board of Regents will be discussing the Faculty Handbook during their April 5-6 meeting. Any issues arising from the Regents discussion can be addressed at the next two Council meetings. Executive Board met with Roy Childs, Chair of Academic Affairs, and Jean Purnell, Assistant Provost for Assessment to discuss the program review process. Based on that conversation, Chair Ray will send a memo to Academic Affairs requesting that committee make recommendations to Council that could streamline the process. Ideally, recommendations can be made soon enough to be reviewed by Council and have an salutary effect on program review process now being initiated for next year. The Feather River Inn is under new direction and the management encourages and welcomes University to make good use of the refurbished facilities. The inn is available and well suited for academic and professional workshops, meetings, and conferences. To schedule events, contact the Feather River Inn at (530) 836-2623, Fax (530) 836-0927.

4. Provost Report

The Office of Sponsored Programs has been very effective in providing support for faculty - proposals are up 40% and there is a 60-70% increase in awards. $250,000.00 of indirect income this year compares favorably to $80,000.00 last year. With this success, OSP is now sponsoring a Seed Grant Program for junior faculty and a Bridge Program for faculty who are between awards and need assistance. Enrollment profile: applications for next year have increased nearly 20%, there is an increase in ethnic and geographic diversity, and there are 180 students on the waiting list compared to 80 last year. The president briefed IPC on his budget recommendations for the upcoming Regents meeting. Coming out of this year’s budget for special needs will be one-time funding of $1.3 million. $4.7 Million will be added to the university budget for FY03 and allocated to various projects, including new faculty and staff positions.

5. IPC Report

David Brock responded to comments from Council regarding low operating budgets for departments. This concern was raised with President DeRosa when he met with IPC. He will give serious consideration to the matter. There is not a new faculty position for School of International Studies that is funded. Further information on this issue can be found on the IPC website. There is a search for a new registrar underway with considerations being given to upgrading the position, and revisiting that office’s budget and organizational status. To help raise the profile of the University scholarships are being introduced that target a select class of students.

6. Update on Student Policy Revision Task Forces

Julie Sina, Vice President for Student Life, reported on the Student Handbook that is currently being reviewed and revised by four subcommittees. Subcommittees are examining policies and protocols governing student life: judicial processes, academic honor code and integrity, and sexual assault. The chairs of the subcommittees were introduced and reported to the Council.

A. Rick Morat chaired the subcommittee on Student Life Policies. Alcohol policy - the drinking age will formally be specified as 21, which will impact about 700 students for approximately one year. There will be a policy allowing parent notification of alcohol violations. The University may choose to contact the parents after a second violation. Parent includes a parent, a guardian, or an individual acting as a parent of a student in the absence of a parent or guardian.The federal law FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974) allows this action. Notification will occur after the second violation. Immediate notification will occur if the student is hospitalized or receives a DUI (driving under the influence of alcohol).

B. Kerry KruegerDevine chaired the subcommittee on judicial processes. The committee generated two lists of what is working and what is not working. Students, judicial hearing officers, and faculty members looking through the Tiger’s Lore become frustrated with the different processes for violations. Input was received from the University community and the general response was that it lacked student voice and is inconsistent and incomplete. Several institutions were looked at to find out what other campus’ were doing. This resulted in a mission statement and a process that would allow students to be active in the judicial process. A flow chart of the judicial process was provided to the members and clarified. Faculty, staff, and students would be serving on the judicial review committees after appointment and training.

C. Eleanor Wittrup chaired the subcommittee on the University Honor Code. A report was distributed to the members that supported the statement “As members of the University of the Pacific Community we mutually pledge that we will seek to embody Honesty, Respect, Fairness, Compassion, Prudence, Tolerance, and Courage in all we do and achieve.” This code would apply to the entire University community: faculty, students, staff, and administrators. The subcommittee focused on three areas and describes them within the article: academic integrity, residential respect, life beyond the walls of the University. The new version includes statements on faculty responsibilities. There will be a focus on reaching the University community particularly freshmen with this information.

D. Susan Williams Quinlan chaired the subcommittee on Sexual Assault and Protocol. The policy within the Tiger’s Lore on sexual assault was revised with an introductory statement on the kind of environment that is desirable of the University community in regards to respect and non-consensual behavior. Detailed definitions on rape, sexual battery, and consent follow the statement. Procedures are listed to aid the victims in obtaining assistance. A support system for the accused and the victim will be in place. The policy will include a description of judicial options, rights for the complainant and rights for the accused. The final statement in the policy will include a policy on the educational programming to students. A wallet size resource card is being created that will include a listing of resource providers on campus and a checklist on what to do. This would be available to faculty, resident advisors, vice-president, counseling center, health center and major groups that would come in contact with victims.

7. Recommendation to Affiliate the Department of Computer Sciences with School of Engineering

Roy Childs stated that both units have invested considerable time investigating potential issues. This affiliation has become a norm at other universities and represents the path that many Computer Science programs have taken. Doug Smith, Chair of Computer Science gave a summary of the basic issues. The affiliation of the School of Engineering and Computer Science is fully supported by the Computer Science Department. The curriculum will remain the same – a four-year program with approximately 100 majors. All courses will continue to be available. There is no impact anticipated on other units as a result of the affiliation. Computer science is accredited by a branch of ABET, the Accreditation Board of Engineering Technology. Dean Ravi Jain stated that the Engineering faculty is in full support of the affiliation and considers this a positive move. Motion: Bob Cox moved, Becky Beal seconded to accept the recommendation. Comments: Phil Gilbertson stated the University received an undesignated foundation grant of $200,000.00 and the President designated those funds as an endowment for laboratory equipment in Computer Science. Motion unanimously accepted.

8. Information Technology Policies

Chief Information Officer Larry Frederick introduced a significantly reworked version of the Information Securities Policies. Frederick called on members for questions and also invited Council members to send commentary or concerns to him by email. The array of responsibilities that fall under the new position of Information Security Analyst require that this be a full-time position. Auditors have recommended that the University have this position. OISR will designate a person to serve in this position, with jurisdiction for all three campuses until a full-time person is recruited. Information security personnel are very expensive and difficulty to find. Discussion centered on the need for faculty to have secure network access to contend with what they are developing on and off campus and whether a security analyst is able to facilitate this.

9. Faculty Handbook, chapter 9 section 9.6.1

Chair Ray stated that chapter 9 was approved except for 9.6.1 Intellectual Properties Policy and where they fit in chapter 9. This would replace 9.6.1A and 9.6.1B. Motion: Bob Cox moved, Andrew Hudson seconded that Intellectual Properties Policy that was approved on at the last meeting now constitutes 9.6.1. Motion unanimously approved.

10. What’s On Your Mind?

Richard Cohan spoke on awards that are available to Stockton campus faculty and proposed that the Sacramento and San Francisco faculty also be eligible. Dave Fries offered some history on the Faculty Research Committee that started the awards. School of Dentistry and McGeorge School of Law opted to not have representation or become a part of that committee. Chair Ray stated that he expects this topic to be on the Academic Council agenda before the end of this academic year. Richard Cohan reported he had met with Ed Garrick, Director of Human Resources, regarding optional retirement investments in addition to or in lieu of TIAA-CREF. He indicated Ed Garrick will proceed in looking at other options, based on the level of expressed interest. Phil Gilbertson followed up by saying that if faculty are interested then the University Compensation Committee should be requested to act on that interest. Motion: Dave Fries moved, Larry Spreer seconded that the Director of Human Resources, Ed Garrick, in consultation with the University Compensation Committee investigate the options. Motion passed unanimously.

11. Other Business

Meeting adjourned at 5:10 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted,

Rosie Fox, Alternate Academic Council Secretary