• Print

May 2, 2013

Academic Council Meeting
Library Community Room
3:00 - 5:00 PM

MINUTES

Attendance:
Business: W. Ouyang (p), S. Wheeler (a)
Conservatory: F. Hsiao ( ), B. Phillips ( )
College: M. Bates (p), C. Goff (p), B. Herrin (a), J. Juge (p), C. Lehmann (p), J. Lu (a), L. Rademacher (p), A. Smith (p), C. Snell (p), B. Swagerty (p), L. Wrischnik (p)
Dental: J. Miles (a), A. Nattestad (p), R. White (a)
Education: H. Arnold (p), T. Nelson (p), L. Webster (p)
Emeriti: R. di Franco (p)
Engineering: C. Lee (p), D. Cliburn ( )
Law: L. Carter (a), F. Galves (p), W. Jones (p)
Library: R. Imhof (p)
PHS: L. Boles (a), S. Carr-Lopez (p), J. Ward-Lonergan (a), C. Wilson (p)
SIS: A. Kanna (p)
ASUOP: K. Dantzler (a), tbd
Ex-Officio: P. Eibeck (p), M. Pallavicini (p), B. Gundersen (a), D. Neault (p)
Guests: N. Castillo, P. Cavanaugh, R. Hoverstad, A. Lenzi, L. Matz, M. Perrot, J. Ren, P. Rosson

Call to Order @ 3:00 pm

I. Approval of Consent Agenda
A. April 11, 2013 Minutes
B. Academic Affairs Program/Course Approval Log: Spring 2013
C. Process and Criteria for Appointment and Reappointment of Distinguished Professors of Law
D. Search Committee Faculty Nominee for Associate Provost of Enrollment:
Cynthia Ostberg

Consent agenda approved.

II. Reports
A. Chairperson's Report - H. Arnold
Thanks to outgoing members - Chair Arnold thanked all the members of Academic Council (AC) for their service. A certificate of appreciation and a gift was presented to Chris Goff, Past-Chair of Academic Council. She also thanked Lourdes Reyes, Administrative Assistant of the Faculty Governance Office.
i. New Faculty Development Activities for spring 2013 - Final meeting was a dinner with the P&T Committee, and plans are underway for the summer New Faculty Orientation in August.
ii. President's Advisory Council Meeting - April 16 - discussion on the reallocation continues.
iii. Eberhardt Teacher/Scholar Awards: Congratulations to Cynthia Dobbs and Analiese Richard
iv. IEC Faculty Replacement - Cindy Lyon is unable to serve, so we are seeking nominations for her replacement. The charge of this committee was approved at the March Academic Council meeting. The provost stated it was important to have a faculty member from Sacramento or McGeorge as it is a university-wide committee. A. Nattestad suggested Dr. LeBarre from Dugoni.
v. The four candidates for the Vice President of Student Life position have had their campus visits.
vi. 4.25.13 Faculty Compensation Committee (FCC) forum update by B. Swagerty: The chair, Geoff Lin-Cereghino, prepared a Powerpoint report which is posted on the FCC Sakai site for faculty only to view. It includes data received from Pat Cavanaugh regarding faculty and administrative salaries over time; reports on items the committee covered this year. The FCC would like to ensure that there is an FCC member on AC- perhaps have AC appoint a current member to FCC, this could take the place of the missing SIS member.
vii. The Past-Chair of AC is a member of IPC and beginning next year, there will be a new agenda item added to AC meeting: an IPC Update/Report.
viii. The Division of Student Life is requesting Renaming the Outstanding Student Leader Award to the Elizabeth Griego Outstanding Leader Award.

B. President's Report - P. Eibeck
Thanks to the AC for their engagement this year. This has been a very intense year. The year began as a "normal" year with plans to use the New Strategic Plan as a guide, and ended up with asking everyone at the University to re-look at how they do their business. We started the year at the law school thinking that the worst had passed, and found out it hadn't and we are at about half of the enrollment of just a few years ago. The year started with an administrative action of moving the School of International Studies into the College, which was done without sufficient engagement with AC. The year has ended with the administration asking the AC to be deeply engaged in major decisions. This has been an unnerving year for all of us. We are apprehensive that we are going to lose what makes University of the Pacific such a wonderful university in which to work and to learn. We are apprehensive that ‘my' program may end, or I may lose my job. It is a hard time and knowing that we are not alone isn't very helpful. As President and Faculty we are navigating new paths that haven't been taken before at Pacific. We can make the best progress if we are all engaged. We can make the wisest decisions if hard thinking people are willing to step forward. We can move as quickly as we need to if we are willing to rethink ways we can work together. Our Faculty is extraordinary and exceptionally dedicated to our students and to the University. We started out affirming that the Administration and AC need to work together and we are ending this year with it being paramount that the Administration and AC work together. She looks forward to being effective partners, next year and beyond as major decisions are tackled. Thank you for stepping forward and being members of Academic Council, and for making a difference.

C. Provost's Report - M. Pallavicini
Committee work: Promotion & Tenure Committee operated differently this year, where the provost did not attend the meetings, this allows the faculty to openly discuss the portfolios. The committee did an outstanding job with their transmittal letters (a summary to the provost of the discussion). Thanks to Linda Webster for pioneering this year's change to the process. Faculty Handbook - Grievance Committee section is being revised. She also had a meeting with P. Schroeder and other faculty regarding the Institutional Review Board (IRB), Faculty Research Committee (FRC), regarding unclear policies and clearly defining responsibilities. Sheila O'Rourke will be working with this group to clarify the language. Lou Matz is working with faculty to review/revamp the Honors Program. ESL is also being revamped, the end results of this program are not as good as they should be. Lynn Beck and others involved in this program are reviewing it. This affects retention and completion rates of our students. We have a 65% retention rate, and our peers are at 75%. Enrollment update: 1026 students, expected to end up with about 920. Admissions office sent out information two weeks prior than other years. Provost office: Paul Paton will be leaving at the end of May. She will be looking for someone to fill a need with analytical/management/ planning skills. C. Cox had accepted a position as the Assistant Provost for Faculty Affairs about a week before her cancer diagnosis. B. Gundersen has agreed to stay on through summer and fall. The CTL Director search committee is meeting. There are strong candidates and Brigid Welch is chairing the committee. She is asking for faculty to be available to meet with candidates when they are brought to campus. She will be asking WASC to delay program reviews and self-studies for one year since the University is going through a comprehensive self-review process. The three WASC priorities are Program Review and Assessment, Student Success and Diversity, Faculty Workload Policy.

III. Action Items
A. New Program: MA & Certificate in Food Studies
Academic Affairs approved the proposal so that it could move forward to Council, recognizing that there were budget issues that still needed to be addressed. The updated budget document was forwarded to Council this week. This program will be offered on the San Francisco campus and targets adult learners. It can be full or part time master's program and a certificate program. Budget question raised: Is the tuition price-point appropriate? There isn't anyone from the program to answer questions from AC members at today's meeting.

M. Bates moves to table, R. diFranco seconds, motion passes with one abstention, item is tabled.

B. FHB Revision 6.4.8 Sustainability Committee - Ron Hoverstad
R. Hoverstad presenting: He and members of the sustainability committee brought the Fair Trade Designation Proposal to Executive Board (EB) last month. The EB requested two items from the committee to proceed: A committee needs to be established in order to be a fair trade university, so instead of creating a new committee, these duties will be assigned to the Sustainability which requires a handbook change to the committee charge.

Chris Snell moves to approve, M. Bates seconds, passed with one abstention.

C. Fair Trade University Designation Proposal - Ron Hoverstad
The proposal also requires endorsement by the Staff Advisory Council.

Motion to endorse the proposal by C. Lehmann, second by W. Jones, endorsement passes with seven abstentions.

D. Commendation of Recognition: Peggy Rosson
Chris Goff presented the commendation to Peggy, with unanimous approval from Council. The President announced that Peggy would be awarded the Order of Pacific at the commencement ceremony on Saturday.

E. Strategic Planning Committee (SPC) Constituency Charge
The entire charge is not in the packet, only one paragraph that had changes made by the Executive Board. This will be sent out electronically to members of AC prior to the end of the semester, unable to make a decision today. There was discussion on the word "long" in the first sentence. H. Arnold recommends an electronic vote once the Council receives the full charge. A copy was found, copied and distributed, but it was not the most current.

Chris Goff moves to extend the life of the Strategic Planning Committee until the September meeting of Academic Council, C. Snell seconds, motion to extend passes with 2 abstentions.

F. Academic Council Committee & Chair-Elect Elections
Ballots were distributed and collected. Congratulations to Dr. Courtney Lehmann, Chair-Elect for 2013-14.

G. COP/SIS Merger Document - Alan Lenzi
This document came from the Professional Relations Committee via the Executive Board. Analiese Richard and Alan Lenzi were asked by the Dean of COP to meet and determine how to integrate SIS into COP. The proposal was approved by COP Council. Once approved by AC, the bylaws of COP will have to be updated - voted on by COP Council, forwarded to PRC and then to AC for approval. Caroline Cox gave the charge to Analiese and Alan, Bill Herrin was involved and reviewed the document. The document is before Council for endorsement.

M. Bates moves for Academic Council to endorse this document, R. Imhof seconds, motion passes with four abstentions.

IV. Information Items
A. COP Council's President and Provost Feedback Instruments - Alan Lenzi
COP Executive Council met with the COP Dean met to create an instrument to provide feedback, this is not an evaluation. It was created in consultation with senior members of faculty and individuals involved in program review. The language utilized is directly from the Faculty Handbook job descriptions for these positions. It was distributed at Spring Assembly. The Faculty was looking forward to providing feedback, not to gripe. Due May 10th, Alan is hoping to prepare the results and meet individually with the President and the Provost.

B. Bookstore Issues - Pat Cavanaugh, Marcus Perrot
The University has been with Barnes & Noble Bookstore since 2000, and celebrating the 5th anniversary of the DeRosa Center. Chair Arnold provided a list of questions regarding Council's bookstore issues. Also in attendance, the Associate VP for Business and Finance, Marcus Perrot, who oversees the contract with Barnes & Noble; Nicole Castillo, bookstore manager, employed by Barnes & Noble. Bookstores are a tough Business right now, due to technology. In 2008, the Higher Education Opportunity Act required educational institutions to provide ISBNS to students. A handout was provided with responses to the questions provided by Council, and a brochure was distributed to AC members. Specific questions can be sent to Nicole at bookstore@pacific.edu.

C. Pacific Promise - Rich Rojo

D. Educational Resource Center Pilot - Tenisha Tevis
This pilot is bridging Reading and Writing class into one year long course which will be 2 units each semester. They are also working with the GE committee and the PACS program. WRIT 93x and WRIT 93y will have to be taken as well as PACS93. Students are placed by on their SAT scores.

E. Academic Council Committee Reports - Marlin Bates
The committee reports are on the Sakai site in their entirety for review.
The AC Executive Board needs six members: three from COP and 3 from Professional Schools. With Harriett and Courtney we have one from each right now and will need one-two professional school reps and two COP representatives. If you are interested in being on the Executive Board, please email mbates@ pacific.edu.

V. What's On Your Mind?
A question was raised regarding whether decisions have been made on the rubrics for the prioritization of programs. No, still under discussion - SPC worked on them, and IEC is also working on them. The deans will work on the rubrics on Monday as well.


Adjournment @ 5:15 pm