• Print

May 5, 2011

Academic Council
May 5, 2011
Library Community Room

Attendance:
Business: J. Post (p), S. Wheeler (p)
Conservatory: F. Hsiao (p), P. Langham (p)
College: M. Bates, (p), S. Giraldez (p), C. Goff (p), M. Hatch (a), J. Lessard (p), J. Lu (p), P. Meyer (p), C. Ostberg (p), L. Rademacher (p), T. Storch (a), C. Vierra (p)
Dental: L. Giusti (a), D. Horlak (p), J. Miles (a)
Education: H. Arnold (a), T. Nelson (p)
Emeriti: R. di Franco (p)
Engineering: H. Estrada (p), C. Lee (p)
Law: G. Caplan (a), W. Jones (a), M. Vitiello (a)
Library: S. Sutton (p)
PHS: S. Carr-Lopez (a), W. Chan (a), T. Little (p), L. Norton (p), C. Peterson (p)
SIS: A. Kanna (p)
ASUOP: tbd
Ex-Officio: M. Pallavicini (p), B. Gundersen (p)

Call to order: 3:04pm

1.  Recognition of Lynn King
The Academic Council recognized Lynn King for his 11 years of distinguished service as Athletic Director.
L. Norton moved to approve, H. Arnold seconded, unanimously approved.

2. Approval of Minutes for April 14, 2011
M. Bates moved to approve with the following edits: under New Major Approval for Film Studies, remove the language that the major will be housed under the English Department; under new program approval for Pacific Humanities Scholar, add that Council discussed a four year option to the program L. Norton seconded, approved.

3.  Sustainability – Gene Pearson
Gene Pearson provided an update from the Sustainability Committee. As of June 1, Camilla Saviz will chair the committee. The committee has added 7 detailed actions items to the sustainability statement in regards to teaching, learning, outreach, stewardship and university operations. Gene will provide Council with the revised statement and goals for endorsement in the fall.

4. Chair’s Report-
Chair Giraldez thanked the Council for their work and also outgoing members who served their 3 year term. Financing for the new facility in San Francisco is moving forward, along with one new residence hall on the Stockton campus and four at McGeorge. The committee will revisit discussions on Social Emotional Competence, the program has been under Student Life and the Regents will request updates on the program.

5. Provost’s Report
Provost Pallavicini will have robust conservations regarding facilities and space on the Stockton campus. The Provost and VP Elizabeth Griego will work together regarding the Social Emotional Competency Program, faculty need to have control over the curriculum and work with Student Life on the leadership component. The conversations will need to remain active so that faculty are more acceptable to develop their curriculum with social emotional components.

Over the next few several months Institutional Effectiveness will be discussed, these conversations will help to determine how evidence and data is used to improve programs both academic and non-academics. Faculty will lead in writing essays and collecting data to prepare for program review.

The search committee for the Dean of the Law School is being established. Phil Oppenheimer will chair the search and the committee will begin to write the job description to send out, the goal is to find a replacement by July 1st. The search for a Dean in School of International Studies is being chaired by Dean Parker; Lynn Beck, Cynthia Weick and members of the school’s Alumni Board will also be part of the committee, no search firm has been hired. Candidates for the Brubeck Institute will be brought to campus over the summer; this search is being chaired by Dean Welch.

The Provost will host a Council of Deans retreat in July and have Cabinet members attend along with Academic Council Leadership. The Provost will continue interactions with faculty on shared governance which allows the institution to move forward.

6. What’s on your mind?
The Council thanked Susan for her work as Chair of the committee. The Emeriti Society will be housed in the Alumni house and will have a reception on June 3rd. The Society will be able to connect with Alumni by having them sign up for various events through the Alumni Weekend website.

 

Harriett Arnold will be chair-elect for Academic Council next year.

The Provost encouraged Council to send in their ideas for Council’s segment in the New Faculty Orientation. Council will provide details on shared governance and committees at the orientation.

 

7.  Handbook Change: Student Grievance Board Action
The proposed change is for section 6.2.13 of the Faculty Handbook. L. Norton moved to table, P. Meyer seconded.

8.  Handbook Addition: Research Misconduct Policy
R. di Franco moved to table so the committee can have a longer discussion regarding the policy; D. Horlak seconded.

9.  Elections Action
Chair elect Chris Goff distributed a ballot for the Educational Equity Programs Advisory Board and Student Academic Grievance Board. Chris will also contact OIT to set up secure online ballot for elections.

10. Faculty Workload Survey Update
The survey has closed and the preliminary data shows committee service is not the number one concern for faculty time.  Working on undergraduate programs, making course overrides, course management or student advising seem to be the top time consuming workloads for faculty.

11. Strategic Planning Discussion
Don Norris has been hired as a facilitator to help develop a academic strategic plan. Don will help to develop a process. Pacific Rising is helpful for promoting rather than guiding the university. The strategic plan will be used as a roadmap for students 10 years from now. What will be the drivers for the future? What will students need to know? How can we as an institution position ourselves for the future? There will ongoing conversations to develop the plan as well as open forums for input and we may need to create task forces.