• Print

November 8, 2001

University of the Pacific - Stockton Campus
Academic Council Meeting
Minutes of November 8, 2001 

Attendance:
Business: T. Brierton (p), N. Peery (a)
Conservatory: D. Brock (p), J. DeHaan (a), N. Waldvogel (p)
COP: B. Beal (p), M. Kelly (p), C. Kramer (p), R. Lutz (p), C. Ostberg (a), M. Sharp (p), L. Spreer (p), D. Tedards (p), W. Zimmermann (p)
Dental: D. Castagna (a), R. Cohan (p), J. Cohen (a), J. Levy (a)
Education: M. Draheim (p), Phyllis Hensley (p)
Emeriti: G. Blum (p)
Engineering: D. Besch (p), G. Litton (p)
Law: W. Jones (p), C. Manolakas (a), G. Scully (p)
Library: T. Calvo (p), R. Ray (p)
Pharmacy: R. Abood (p), D. Fries (p), S. Smith-Stubblefield (p)
SIS: E. Savelieva (a)
Students: A. Hudson (p), J. Farrell (p)
Ex-Officio: S. Blalock (a), R. Brittin (a), R. Childs (a), A. Freedman (p), P. Gilbertson (p), K. Hughes (a), L. Knight (a), J. Livesey (a), J. Mansoor (a), H. Mayne (a), F. Muskel (a), D. Parker (a), J. Purnell (p), S. Scully (a), D. Smith (a), L. Webster (a), B. Weick (a), B. West (a)
Guests: Denis Meerdink, Susan Blalock, Bill Coen, Ken Beauchamp, Julie Sina

Chair Ron Ray called the Meeting to order at 3:05 p.m.

1. Approval of Minutes

Motion: Dave Fries moved, Marisa Kelly seconded to approve the minutes of October 11, 2001. Chair Ray stated that the e-mail addresses for the Co-Presidents of the Greek Council are in the minutes. Motion unanimously approved.

2. Chair's Report: Ron Ray

Chair Ray stated since there has been no forum on Handbook chapters 3, 7, and 9 at the Law and Dental schools, no action will be taken until the December meeting. Chair Ray has been attending meetings of the Professional Relations Committee. This committee is currently working on re-framing language based on suggestions from Council and those revisions will be ready for review at the December meeting. Chair Ray instructed voting members of Council to fill out the ballot for the University Compensation Committee and return them to Denia by the end of the meeting today. Chair-Elect Becky Beal announced that Academic Council would be co-sponsoring an all university reception on Friday, December 14, 2001 with the Staff Advisory Council.

3. Provost’s Report:

Provost Gilbertson stated that a memo was recently distributed to Stockton Campus faculty regarding the conflict of a finala final exam and a Muslim holiday. Requested schedule changes may not be possible in all cases.

4. IPC Report

Professor David Brock stated that IPC is currently working on the following: 1) reports from units on use and outcomes of past IPC funding. For example, Advancement has recovered lost alumni addresses and phone numbers with over 800 new phone numbers found and 2) receiving budget requests from units. Professor Brock encouraged Council to look at the IPC website for minutes and agendas.

5. ITPC Report

Associate Professor Marisa Kelly stated that ITPC is primarily looking at OISR budget requests that will be going to IPC.

6. What’s On Your Mind

Associate Professor Doug Tedards inquired why the university doesn’t observe Veterans Day. Discussion followed regarding the following: 1) substituting Veterans Day for a full week off over Thanksgiving; 2) using Blackboard for online courseware to substitute for class so no learning time is lost when students take the Monday off anyway; 3) Campus sponsored luncheon to honor veterans. The Law school has lost some students due to their military obligations and may be affected negatively by tuition refund policies. Inquiry was made if there is a list of names available so that these individuals may be recognized.

Professor Larry Spreer mentioned that he was meeting with new Health and Safety Officer and it was mentioned that there would be a new University storage building that would be used to control all chemicals. This would affect pharmacy, chemistry and biology. Professor Spreer is worried that the administration will make a decision on this and not consult them. Professor Walt Zimmermann stated that as a member of the University Facilities Committee and the Academic Facilities Improvement Committee he would bring this to the attention of these committees and requested all like cases be e-mailed to him in detail. Suggestion was made to have a member of the Facilities committee make a presentation.

7. Budget Recommendations for IPC

Chair Ray stated that recommendations should be sent to IPC as a resolution. A handout listed suggestions (in no priority order) with last year’s recommendations at the bottom of the page. Change was noted in number one of the FY 2002 priorities that “mandates” should be “recommendations”. Assistant Provost Jean Purnell is preparing a summary sheet on every program listing recommendations for Academic Council input and the President and Provost’s remarks. A suggestion was made to bring back number 3 from 2002 as it is a continuing need. Vice President Julie Sina stated that residence hall upgrades would be covered under an auxiliary budget, not IPC. This item was removed from the list. The addition of “and benefits” was made after “faculty and staff salaries”. The final order is: 1) Faculty and staff salaries and benefits; 2) Departmental operating budgets; 3) Program review recommendations; 4) Academic computing (including a faculty desktop refresh program); and 5) Continuing improvement of instructional facilities. Resolution approved.

8. All Faculty Vote on Handbook Sections

Chair Ray explained that due to substantial changes, the Handbook Committee recommended that faculty approve some sections of Chapter 7 involving Promotion and Tenure and Faculty Grievance. Motion: Larry Spreer moved, Simalee Smith-Stubblefield seconded to send out the Promotion and Tenure sections 7.4 – 7.5 of Chapter 7 for a faculty vote upon approval by Academic Council. Motion unanimously approved.

Motion: Doug Tedards moved, Dave Fries seconded to send out the Faculty Grievance sections 7.9 – 7.16 of Chapter 7 for a faculty vote upon approval by Academic Council. Motion unanimously approved.

9. Academic Grievance Procedures for Graduate Students

Chair Ray informed Council that this section will be part of Chapter 12 of the Faculty Handbook. Dean Denis Meerdink stated that the only existing document on this subject is dated 1994 or 1995 and is too detailed and cumbersome. With the help of the University attorneys, the Graduate Studies Committee has drafted this version. The primary advice from the attorney was to speed up resolution. Dean Meerdink noted two changes: 1) last sentence, first page, delete “notify”; and 2) under Time Limits to File a Grievance, the wording has been changed to “60 days following the academic term”. Council questioned the lack of procedure for a hearing. Dean Meerdink informed Council that there is no graduate student organization to form a panel. Council made the following suggestions: 1) using the word “chair” instead of “chairman”; 2) allow more time; 3) include option to have a peer on the panel; and 4) make step one a written statement. Susan Blalock, Graduate Studies Committee Chair will take this document back to her committee for further review and will present the revised Academic Grievance Procedures for Graduate Students at the December 13, 2001 Council meeting.

10. A Conversation with Bill Coen, Director of Alumni Programs

Director Bill Coen stated that he is pleased to be meeting with Council and introduced Kelly Page, Assistant Director of Alumni Programs. Director Coen informed Council that last January the National Commission reviewed Alumni Programs and provided numerous recommendations including developing and deepening relationships with alumni. This is being achieved by hosting dinners, presentations, and alumni board meetings; developing an alumni website (on-line January 2002) to focus on e-mail to improve communication; and printing two alumni newsletters between the Pacific Review. Bill Coen stated that a mass mailing went out in July and October and the results will be added to an alumni directory. Advancement Services will be in charge of this directory of 3,200 – 3,500 alumni. Council suggested the following: 1) have an unchangeable version of this directory placed on the web for faculty use; 2) make faculty information available to alumni; 3) include a “features faculty” section on the web page and in the newsletters; 4) send out invitations to faculty to do presentations; and 5) have more outreach then fundraising by hosting non-academic events that meet the faculties various interests. Director Coen stated that faculty represent an important key to alumni information and he will take their suggestions back to his department and return again to Council to discuss the outcome. Director Coen requested that each unit include him on their newsletter mailing list so that he is informed on what the faculty is doing. Director Coen announced that a new Assistant Director of External and Internal Relations will be charged with developing and maintaining relationships with departments to increase communication with the faculty.

11. Faculty Gender Equity Study

Professor Ken Beauchamp, Faculty Compensation Committee representative went over the Faculty Gender Equity Study, Research Report Series, Volume 1, Number 5, dated October 2001. Professor Beauchamp stated that due to its coding in Banner, the Library was excluded from this study. The purpose of this study was to see if there is any evidence of biases against the salary paid to female faculty. This study is for the Stockton campus only and utilizes the Fall 2000 faculty data gathered and developed as a database by the Provost’s office with the help of Rob Brodnick, Director of Records and Research. Professor Beauchamp then declared that Rob Brodnick was wonderful to work with and thanked Provost Gilbertson for supporting the study. Motion: Larry Spreer moved, Richard Cohan seconded to accept the October 2001 Faculty Gender Equity Study as a good and valuable report. Approved with one abstention.

12. Other Business

Professor Larry Spreer commented that the university has lost a very valuable member with the passing of Margaret Payne. Meeting adjourned at 5:10 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted,

Denia Leach, Academic Council Secretary