• Print

October 13, 2011

Academic Council
October 13, 2011
Library Community Room

Attendance:
Business: S. Wheeler (p)
Conservatory: F. Hsiao (p), B. Phillips (a)
College: M. Bates (p), S. Giraldez (p), C. Goff (p), K. Holland (a), C. Lehmann (p), J. Lu (p), L. Rademacher (a), C. Snell (p), T. Storch (p), B. Swagerty (a), L. Wrischnik (p)
Dental: L. Giusti (a), J. Miles (p), R. White (p)
Education: H. Arnold (p), T. Nelson (a), L. Webster (p)
Emeriti: R. di Franco (a)
Engineering: C. Lee (p) A. Zarei (a)
Law: G. Caplan (p), W. Jones (p), M. Vitiello (p)
Library: S. Sutton (p)
PHS: S. Carr-Lopez (a), X. Guo (p), T. Phelan (p), J. Ward-Lonergan (p)
SIS: A. Kanna (p)
ASUOP: tbd
Ex-Officio: P. Eibeck (p), M. Pallavicini (p), B. Gunderson (a), D. Neault (p)
Guests: Mary Lou Lackey, Peggy Rosson

Call to order: 3:05pm

Introduction by Ron Harvey from OIT of new videoconferencing technology across all 3 campuses.

1. Approval of Minutes for September 8, 2011
S Giraldez moved to approve, W Jones seconded, unanimously approved

2. Introductions

3. Chair's Report -C. Goff
Announcement: the staff council will once again participate in the adopt-a-family program this holiday season (CPCE will coordinate).

Updates on committees: SPC and IEC are almost fully constituted, executive board is working on this, official announcements soon. The Strategic Planning process is continuing with the 10 cross-cutting issues increased to 12. Includes three new topics: Sustainability, Future of the Arts, Future of the Faculty (created at faculty's suggestion); Two groups were combined into one: Distributed Learning and Information, Technology, and Learning. Writing teams have been identified, blog site set up, info coming out soon, deadline for first phase November 18 (divergent thinking).

New faculty orientation: Susan Giraldez and Harriett Arnold have stepped up to plan a few more events for the rest of the year - 2 events this semester and 3 events next semester.

Faculty Governance Office now has art on the walls by Brett DeBoer, new computer received, and a tree was just delivered as a gift from the Provost's Office.

The Regents Meeting took place last week-emerging issue is the decreasing enrollment in the law school - affecting budget - a plenary session held. There is a possibility of reduction in size. Harriett & Chris will be going to Sacramento on October 25th to speak with the faculty chair, Omar Dajani, and the faculty to discuss concerns and plans of action.

4. President's Report - P. Eibeck
The president thanked the faculty for their participation in the strategic planning session. Anya Kamenetz stated that quality teaching will serve us well in the future. It's important to integrate technology and on-line learning for the future student. Special thanks to Executive Board and Academic Council on excellent faculty recommendations to serve on the strategic planning committees.

The President distributed a few handouts: University of the Pacific Goals FY12 Subgoals which will be sent out electronically to UOP community; Pacific's Peer List, provided by the President's Advisory Council is an institutional level list of 15 standard peer and 15 aspirants. She is charging deans to identify peers based on their own schools. Items looked at to determine peers included the undergraduate mix, professional program mix, revenues/expenditures. The aspirants are richer than us, something for us to aspire to.

5. Provost's Report - M. Pallavicini
Provost office has reorganized and is searching for the following positions: Vice Provost - external/internal recruitment, 3 assistant provost positions (internal): Assistant Provost for International Affairs (40% time), Assistant Provost for Faculty Affairs (50% time), Assistant Provost for University-Wide Programs (full-time); all 3 are renewable 3 year appointments. Overall, with the re-organization the office has added one FTE. Also searching for Director of Institutional Effectiveness, can also be part-time faculty - oversee whole process for evidence based decision making-open, posted internally and externally. Regarding CTL, eliminated assistant provost for teaching & learning, but will hire a director for the CTL-has been meeting with faculty in Stockton, will be meeting with law and dental as well to create a working paper for the position that will go out to faculty - then search for a director. For International Program Services, looking for a director, had 2 candidates come in and she is looking to hire soon. Faculty hiring - IPC recommendations - we don't have good statistics on the diversity of the application pool. Working with HR to develop a process to access sakai site to view CV's and applications. Chairs of hiring committees will be working with HR on this. We need to begin to gather data. In the Academic Division - deans are working on budget presentations tomorrow with their units-our division presents last, just before Thanksgiving. WASC - Brian Klunk working on essay writing, making sure written information is backed up by data. Draft should be out in 2-3 weeks.

6. Handbook Change: Student Grievance Board - Peggy Rosson, Assistant Dean of Students
Revision to Student Academic Grievance Policy and Procedure. Peggy stated this has been in process for over 1 year, revisions and changes submitted to council, she met in the spring with executive board, goal is to reduce the number of faculty on the board - trying to make a more streamline process since we've only had 2 grievances per year in the past few years and some years, no grievances filed. Rotating position for 3 faculty members to serve on committee, 1 to be an advocate for the student and 2 to serve on the panel. Motion to approve by M. Bates, seconded by T. Phelan with corrections, no action on this motion.

C. Lehmann made a motion to amend under Board Membership and Staff ...no more than four consecutive terms to two. X. Guo seconded, amendment unanimously approved.

Motion to table by M. Bates, seconded by L. Wrishnick, unanimously approved. Chair Goff, Warren Jones and anyone else interested will make corrections after this meeting is adjourned. The revision will be posted on the Academic Council Sakai site and will be voted on by members.

7. Handbook Change: Information Strategy and Policy Committee (ISPC) - Mary Lou Lackey, Vice President
C. Snell motioned to approve, M. Bates seconded, unanimously approved.
Two primary changes: to revise the composition of the committee, and to clarify the responsibilities of committee - making it more clear that this is a combined faculty/staff/student committee charged with helping the university develop institutional strategies relating to information technology. We will develop strategies to support our strategic plan, secondly identify and allocate resources and make recommendations to IPC, finally develop administrative/academic policies. Asking for approval for an increase in the number of faculty on the committee.

8. WASC Update - Brian Klunk - No Report

9. What's On Your Mind?
Provost Pallavicini distributed handout: Development of Criteria for Review of Institutes and Centers at Pacific - WASC Team noted that we need to develop this criteria. Provost is asking for faculty thoughts and input on relevant criteria via e-mail. She is also asking Deans and Graduate Research for input. She will bring back a final draft for informational purposes.

D. Neault from Athletics announced/reminded that Grade Checks have been sent out and she would like to thank the faculty for responding. This fall will be the end of the two year priority registration pilot that Academic Council approved. Athletics will be asking to make this a permanent change to our registration process. She is asking for faculty questions/issues to be raised now as she is working with Mike Rogers in Institutional Research to obtain data from pilot for permanent proposal.

Discussion followed on other groups that may want to request priority registration: The Honors Program is looking into submitting a proposal based on their program review. Also discussed the use of grade checks for other groups of students, such as student leaders. Provost mentioned that UC Merced has an automatic early alert system for grades - at eight weeks.

10. Liaisons to faculty committees
Chris Goff referred to handout "Faculty Committees," this is the liaison list put together by the Executive Board. According to the Faculty Handbook, members of executive board are charged with serving as liaisons to the various committees. Members of the Academic Council that are already on committees were also selected as liaisons. Chris would like to open the discussion on what the role of the liaison should be: Open lines of communication between committees and academic council, submit report to AC or executive board (format?), could be done informally, Chris Snell suggested having liaisons get on the mailing list of the committee, receiving copies of agenda/minutes, attend a meeting and get involved if necessary. Provost Pallavicini suggested looking at other institutions' committee structure. Chris stated the Admissions & Financial Aid Committee may become an Ad Hoc Committee, and the Council on Teacher Education may become a Task Force.

Chris announced that he may run the next meeting from the Law School.

Motion to adjourn meeting at 4:32 by T. Phelan, seconded by C. Lee, unanimously approved.