• Print

October 14, 2010

Academic Council
October 14, 2010
Library Community Room
3:00 - 5:00pm

Attendance:

Business: J. Post (p), S. Wheeler (p)
Conservatory: F. Hsaio (p), P. Langham (p)
College: M. Bates, (p), S. Giraldez (p), C. Goff (p), M. Hatch (a), J. Lessard (p), J. Lu (a), P. Meyer (p), Cynthia Ostberg (p), G. Pearson (p), T. Storch (a), C. Vierra (p)
Dental: L. Giusti (a), D. Horlak (p), J. Miles (p)
Education: H. Arnold (a), T. Nelson (a)
Emeriti: R. di Franco (p)
Engineering: H. Estrada (p), C. Lee (a)
Law: G. Caplan (a), W. Jones (p), M. Vitiello (p)
Library: S. Sutton (p)
PHS: S. Carr-Lopez (p), W. Chan (p), T. Little (a), L. Norton (p), C. Peterson (p)
SIS: A. Kanna (p)
ASUOP: tbd
Ex-Officio: P. Eibeck (a), P. Ferrillo (a), B. Gundersen (p), H. Trexler (a), L. Langley (p)
Observer:  D. McNiel (a)
Guests:

Call to order: 3:04 pm

1. Approval of Minutes from September 9th, 2010 R. di Franco moved to approve, with the correction to remove the voting count under ESB Proposed Teaching Schedule and reflect it was in Executive Session, also include the results for elections under Judicial Review Board, C. Peterson seconded, approved with 1 abstention.

2. Chair's Report
Chair Giraldez reported from the Board of Regents meeting, attended by herself and chair-elect Chris Goff. The format changed from the traditional meetings, the Regents had more open general planning and brainstorming sessions on core identify and branding, international, and community outreach. Budjet will be discussed at the January meeting. New to the Board is Randy Hayashi and returning member Doug Eberhardt. Chair Giraldez reported on faculty workload issues, the WASC letter, diversity issues, promotion and tenure and service.

The executive board and members from Dental, Law and School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences will look into finding a date for the February All Faculty meeting. If you would like to be part of the discussion or know someone who should be, please contact Susan. Chair Giraldez would also like to see agenda items from Law and Dental for the all faculty meetings. Technology issues were also discussed, suggested services to use for communication will be looked at once a meeting date is finalized.

Dolores Huerta will be receiving a Honorary Degree next Thursday, October 1st in Faye Spanos. A notice for all faculty to participate was not sent out. Council members were asked to attend and let their colleagues to also attend, is possible.

An assessment working group has been created that will brainstorm and work with faculty for ideas on a assessment module and work with the WASC action group, as well as with Eileen McFall. There was concern that the module for the Academic unit would be mostly driven by Student life, since the group is formed with several members from the division. Members include Eric Boyce, Carol Brodie, Dave Chase, Ray Coletta, Mike Doherty, Cynthia Eakin, Lorrie Knight, Sandy Mahoney, Lou Matz, Jon Schamber and Claudia Schwartz. Council was asked if they would like to add a representative or select someone from the group to report back to Council. M. Bates moved to ask that Jon Schamber report back to Council, J. Lessard seconded, approved.

Rich Rojo has asked to elect a representative from Council to attend meetings and represent faculty on the Web Advisory committee. The committee meets the first Monday of every month from 4-5pm. Members include Steve Jacobson, Bill Cohen, Jean Purnell, Kay Mooney and Nathan Quist, Asuop. Jerry Post will look into attending and represent faculty as well as report back to Council.

3. What's on your mind?
Reminder to submit your Provost candidate feedback forms to Lauri McInnis in the School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.

The Legal Scholars Program is doing community outreach and sponsoring around 100 local attorneys and judges in San Joaquin County to come onto campus.

Members were asked for feedback regarding the all faculty meetings and how to improve them. Meetings are moving in the right direction, possible suggestions were creating a faculty blog for issues to be brought up, fireside chats and the use of Sakai.

4. Bookstore Issues- Nicole Castillo
On July 1st legislation was passed that students be able to view which textbooks will be required for classes at time of registration. It would allow students the opportunity to search other venues to purchase books at lower costs. If professors require packages, the bookstore is required to open the package and have the components available, and find out if the book is available electronically to lower cost. The bookstore has created a rental program that was successful this past semester. With early registration among other requirements the bookstore is finding ways to meet deadlines for next semester, this is why the date for submission of books changed from Oct 1st to Sept 1st. The legislation recommends the guidelines be met, they are not enforceable. The deadline for fall 2011 textbook submission is March 1st. Any questions should be directed to Nicole at the bookstore.

5. College of the Pacific Tenure and Promotion Guidelines
Guidelines were divided among Council members to review and identify any serious problems to the executive board that were not in alignment with University policy. One change included a department’s mention regarding collegiality; this was removed and approved by the dean. If a department wishes to change their guidelines, they may resubmit through the governance process.
L. Norton moved to approve the submitted College of the Pacific Tenure and Promotion guidelines, M. Bates seconded, approved with 2 abstentions.

6. Social Emotional Competence, Craig Seal
Craig Seal discussed the Center for Social and Emotional Competence mission to facilitate whole student learning at Pacific through the development of social and emotional competence by providing knowledge, resources and programs to the university. The center’s vision is to become a nationally recognized, self sustaining leader in research and practice of social emotional competence in higher education. Their objectives are to support Academic and Student affairs, obtain external grant funding, sponsor spring symposium, provide scholarships, create peer coaching programs, leadership YOU, and have a comprehensive assessment center. Save the date February 7-10 for Celebration of Teaching and Learning at Pacific. A call for proposals will be put out to share your teaching and learning methods with your colleagues.

7. Faculty Workload Issues related to WASC letter
C. Peterson presented the reported finding on the faculty task force. Council members were asked to take down the overload issues and the percentage of hours that are occupying their time and examples can be shared at the next meeting.

8. Executive Session: Handbook Revision: Provost Search Committee
When the announcement over summer came regarding forming a search committee to find a new Provost, President Eibeck asked that a search committee be formed and asked for faculty representation. The handbook does not have a separate search for a Provost. The drafted guidelines allow the committee to be 50% faculty and give the President a slate of faculty names already chosen by Academic Council if further faculty are needed. The guidelines also allow the chair-elect, in consultation with the executive board, to select from a slate of names if timing of the vacancy is an issue. C. Peterson moved to table the discussion, M. Bates seconded, approved.

9. Adjourned: 4:58pm