Skip to content
  • Print

September 14, 2017

Academic Council Meeting
Library Community Room 3:00-5:00 pm   

MINUTES   

Call to Order - AC Chair, Jeff Becker
  

Attendance:
           
Business:
J. Herche(p), J. Miles(p)            
Conservatory:
P. Shands(a), A. Miller(p)
College: A. Lenzi(p), B. Sztaray(p), C. Dobbs(a), L. Fox(p), J. Hole(p), S. King(p),  J. Becker(p), M. Meler(p), P. Meyer(p), S. Jensen(p), S. Giraldez(p)             Dental: S. Gupta(p), A. Gluskin(a), P. Subar(p)t, S. Sadowsky(a)            
Education:
L. Webster(p), M. Draheim(p)            
Emeriti:
Roland. di Franco(p)            
Engineering:
 S. Gulati(p), S. Merry (p)            
Law:
J. Sims(p), R. Salcido(p)            
Library:
M. Maloney(p)            
PHS:
 C Peterson(a), X. Guo(p), D. Vyas(p), R. Halliwell(a)            
SIS:
S. Mathis(p)            
ASUOP:
C. Styc(p)            
Graduate Student Assoc: C. Cannon(p)
Ex-Officio:  P. Eibeck(p), H. Escalante(Ombuds)(a), M. Pallavicini(p), D.Kelly(Athletics)(p), Joel Lohr(a), D. Weiser(p)            
Guests:
           
Stacy McAfee           
Lou Matz            
Lott Hill   

I.    Consent Agenda                                                                                                       
A.    May 11, 2017 Minutes  

Motion Second Action
Lydia Fox Sharmila King Approved

 
II.    Reports      
A.    President's Report - Pamela Eibeck via Sacramento video conference
President Eibeck welcomed Academic Council members back for the Fall 2017 semester. She introduced new Chief of Staff, Jonathan Latta. She thanked the council for their work on Pacific Refresh 2020, this year focusing on support services for undergraduate Students, and the graduate student network for success.
Another effort underway is building a unified University regardless of location. The President thanked Provost Maria Pallavicini for her outstanding leadership and engaging the University community and Board of Regents in the Pacific 2020 refresh. 
The President asked the faculty to take on a charge for speech on campus, already discussed with AC Chair Jeff Becker and Academic Council Executive Board.   She'll be talking with the Stockton campus community at the Town Hall next week and an additional Town Hall in Sacramento. She will send the charge to AC Chair Becker to share with the University community. This is important due to Charlottesville circumstances.  There were messages of intolerance and much greater permissiveness in allowing voices to speak that had been more marginalized in the past.  There are very conservative groups on University campuses, invited by student organizations. They share controversial views and for some it is unpleasant language to hear. This has resulted in cancellations of speakers due to significant protest. The University needs a clear policy, the constitution only allows speech to be curtailed if it incites violence or physical harm of others. The University needs a clear policy and since we are private University we could be more restrictive, linked to our values, what type of speech is tolerated or possibly no limit on speech.  The President will turn it over to faculty, to guide and recommend a policy. Faculty should listen to students and staff on this issue. 
AC member commented they welcome the conversation.
President Eibeck advised she will send out a statement via email after the Stockton Town Hall on Tuesday, September 19th.  She asked that AC members encourage their students to come.   
B.    Provost's Report - Maria Pallavicini
The Provost expressed her enthusiasm for the start of the new academic year and gave the following announcements:
-        There are three new Deans:
Conservatory - Peter Witte
Law - Michael H. Schwartz
Graduate School - Thomas Naehr
-        Vice Provost of Undergraduate Education - Edie Sparks
-        One ongoing Dean search for the School of Business  
The Provost provided an update on Pacific 2020 Refresh.  The two priorities are, 1) Students with purpose, and 2) Building a unified University. Students with purpose:
1)     Providing integrated undergrad student support - from pre matriculation experience to first year experience, career and academic advising and safety net.  There are five teams forming a close collaboration between Student Life and academics - Vice Provost, Edie Sparks is leading this effort and looking at other institutions, the teams will be making recommendations in December on best practices.
2)     Transformative Liberal Arts Experience - discussions will start in Spring on what the core things undergraduates need to know.
3)     Integrating graduate student support - across the University, consistency with students, meaning, quality and integrity of the degree.  We have a vulnerability in these areas.
Building a unified University:
Groups are looking at how we are integrating policy and subservices across the University.  There is a Sharepoint site for comment and information on P2020R. The report is almost completed from the Taskforce for Compensation Philosophy.  The President's charge for looking at gender equity is ongoing and will likely be completed by December.  A reporting module for faculty teaching workload will be rolled out in the Spring and shared with AC in this fall. An electronic Annual Reporting Template is being developed so that faculty can submit their teaching, research and service portfolio for review by Department Chairs and School/Unit Deans.  The Provost reminded AC that year this is year three of the Coache survey.  She will be returning with Berit Gundersen to present the progress of addressing: 1) Communications and transparency, 2) Interdisciplinary, 3) Faculty recognition and appreciation.  Coming to shared governance committees will be a draft Joint Appointment Policy that provides clarity for gaps in the handbook.  The policy will go first to Promotions and Tenure Committee, then Professional Relations Committee and finally Academic Council.  Additionally, Department Chair Responsibilities will provide a minimum expectation in addition to the School/Unit's own requirements.   The Deans are taking an extensive look at mechanisms for faculty appreciation and recognition, apart from compensation and how they can be made more meaningful.                                                                
C.    ASuop Representative Report -  Caroline Styc
ASUOP is working on bringing together student leaders on all three campuses.  There is a history of a lack of communication between student leaders on the three campuses. They are working on and initiative and possible council of student leadership to create an institutional, systematic way to communicate with all three campuses.  ASUOP reports to the Board of Regents on behalf of students and need an open communication structure to properly represent the diverse student population.
The Student Senate is working on resolution supporting DACA and President Eibeck's statement.  ASUOP is also working on creating a coalition of California private school students to make joint statements to governmental bodies on issues that affect students such as Cal Grant and DACA. 
Recent student events included the Club Fair for incoming students and the welcome back.  The annual block party was highly successful due to showcasing student talent.  Homecoming is approaching and there's also a great initiative with the Alumni Association to bring a large concert to campus on Saturday night, appealing to all ages.  
D.    Graduate Student Association President's Report - Chris Cannon
Chris shared that there are graduate student issues and concerns that he will be bringing to AC at their next meeting.  He'll be gathering information from the professional schools and thanked the Council for opportunity to have graduate student voices heard.  
E.    Chairperson's Report - Academic Council Chair, Jeffrey Becker
Jeff provided an update on recent/summer work in the Faculty Governance Office (FGO), which included revisions/updates to the handbook (including a table of contents with page numbers) and a process to collaborate with the Provost's office on regular updates.  Each May FGO will meet with Provost Office to implement the Faculty Handbook update.
Additional efforts include:
-        FHB changes that are on the Agenda today such as the Honor Code revision
-        Revisions to the Faculty Grievance Process will first go to the Faculty Grievance Committee then to Academic Council for approval
-        Revisions to the Title IX policy
-        Next Monday new Regents Orientation Faculty Panel includes Camila Saviz, ENG, Raj Patel, PHS, Carrie Bricker, LAW and Jeff Hole, COP, English will be sharing the life of a faculty member with the new Regents.
-        Revisions to the Honor Code is an ongoing process looking at defining student academic integrity
-        The FGO is revising its process and procedures to ensure that information is handled more effectively.  In response to requests for anonymous ballots on AC business action items we'll be utilizing Poll everywhere online and  voting clickers (today) for secret AC balloting.
-        We've been participating in the Values Initiative process
-        AC Leadership report for BOR
-        Jeff solicited AC member feedback representative to faculty
-        AC is leading faculty on developing a free speech initiative at President Eibeck's request
-        Status of Women roster is complete and their work has begun  
III.  Action Items                                                               
A.    FHB 3.7 Program Closure - Sharmila King
Sharmila explained the revision is to clarify unclear language for the special review committee for program closures. If a program closure is initiated top down then there is a special review committee, if initiated from the unit there will not be a special review committee. Sharmila gave the example of HESP formation of the master degree.  

Motion to approve Second Action
Sharmila King Lydia Fox Passed unanimously


Q: AC member questioned the language in the revisions is the President or Provost "may" establish a committee
A: Sharmila responded: Yes, then referred to FHB 10.2 if a committee isn't formed.  

B.    FHB 6.2.1 AACU Charge - Sharmila King, Jeffrey Becker
Sharmila shared this is another FHB cleanup that changes the "S" (Stockton) to "U" (University) in the title to capture undergraduate programs on the SF campus and correct the number of ex-officio members.  

Motion to approve Second Action
Sharmila King John Livesey Passed unanimously

 
Q: AC member questioned if the work of AACU committee was undergraduate and AACG graduate
A: Chair Becker confirmed they are  

C.   
FHB 11.24 Honor Code - Sharmila King, Jeffrey Becker, Gene Pearson
Sharmila shared the revisions are an updated title for the Office of Student Conduct and included that faculty can also make changes to the honor code. FHB 5.3.2 gives faculty primary responsibility over academic quality and standards.   

Motion to approve Second Action
Sharmila King Lydia Fox Passed unanimously

 
D.  FHB 11.28 Summer Session - Sharmila King
Sharmila reminded AC of the deletion of Summer Sessions Committee which necessitated this section of the FHB needing an update. The revisions also updates some school names and positions, for example the new Vice Provost of Undergraduate Education.   

Motion to approve Second Motion to amend Second Action
Sharmila King John Livesey Rachael Salcido John Sims Passed unanimously

 
AC discussion revealed McGeorge School of Law wasn't listed and a motion to include McGeorge School of Law was made.                        

IV.    Information/Discussion Items                                    
A.     University Values Initiative - Stacy McAfee, AVP External Relations, Strategic Partnerships and Presidential Initiatives and Lou Matz, Professor of Philosophy, College of the Pacific

Stacy reported on the work of the steering committee for the Values Initiative.  The Values Initiative is a process to clarify the University's core values by including Pacific wide engagement of faculty, staff, and Board of Regents. Stacy explained the process to identify the top five core values and there was significant alignment across the top five.  The top five were: 1) academic excellence, 2) respect, 3) diversity and inclusion, 4) student centered and 5) integrity.  The results will be revised one more time before being presented to the Board of Regents. 
Q: AC member wants to see academic excellence at the top of list
A: Stacy responded it will be arranged that way
Q: AC member asked how much the external consultants were paid
A: Stacy answered approximately $40,000
Q: AC member shared faculty are asking "why" and want more explanation of the meaning/direction and intent of process, just because others do?
A: Lou Matz: The same question was raised at AC Executive board and there has been push back.  Lou shared he is one of five faculty representatives on the committee and he remained on it in order to provide input.
Q: Sharmila King, AC Past Chair: Sharmila stated we need to live by them, how does that happen? The list is similar to FHB list on core values. 
A: Stacy: Answered that we have to go back before going forward, now we need to move forward on these values and take the next step.  This time we must realize how our values inform what aligning policies, practices and procedures to the values.  The groundwork will be starting - how does faculty want to go forward?
AC member responded three steps are important: 1) integration, 2) and how the core values relate to the strategic plan, 3) policies and procedures derived from the strategic plan to make it meaningful. Application - if not executed correctly fosters cynicism.  Identify not just what to do but who is doing it.
AC member commented "Diversity & Inclusion" need definition before execution.
A: Stacy: Part of the next phase is how we view our culture on these core values.
AC member stated supported for the value initiative, it is important to university identity.  If faculty, staff & students really reflect on it and implement them in their daily life. How will this happen?
A: Stacy:  For each individual, department, division. 
Q: AC member questioned why five values? Dignity Health has one - "Hello human kindness"
A: Stacy: It was ultimately six, there was a sense that fewer was better but beyond the six there wasn't a clear break. There's a difference in core values and marketing, core values would stand the test of time, marketing and branding is a promise.
Q: AC member expressed cynicism that every administration talks about implementation.  Let's put our resources into the few things our students at each campus/school/unit have in common.  Let's put the resources into the student services offices that need them. Our values have remained the same, we love our students and we have academic excellence.   Put the money into faculty, administrative assistants and Registrar and Admissions office.          
B.      Call for University Marshal and Associate University Marshall - Jeffrey Becker
Jeff shared there is a need for both and if interested please notify Faculty Governance leadership.                                         
V.             What's on Your Mind?
A.)  Introductions of AC members, staff and guests
B.)  Jeff asked if AC would like to hear reports from units.      
Q: AC members questioned intent, there was support for the idea but also concern on AC meeting time constraints.
Jeff responded awareness of division concerns and a variety of perspectives, this could be during or apart from AC meetings.
Q: AC member suggested IPC reports would be useful for strategic and budget information  
AC Chair Becker agreed
Jeff Miles, IPC Chair shared a big change at IPC in setting level of tuition first and budget second to live within the tuition.  This will go to the President in two weeks and then to the Board of Regents October meeting.
Q: AC member asked how tuition is set?  It doesn't seem related to the CPI.
A: IPC Chair, Jeff Miles:  Some are tied to price increases from vendors and salary increases
Q: AC member stated in prior years tuition was set to remain competitive with peer schools
A: IPC Chair, Jeff Miles: Cuts have sometimes seen decrease in enrollment
Q: AC member asked made the point that lab fees could be considered hidden tuition.
Another member pointed out that if it's included in tuition it will be controlled and allocated by administration.
Q: AC member questioned how fees for conferences are allocated and who is on IPC.
A: IPC Chair, Jeff Miles answered the unit determines allocation of conference fees, there is a website for IPC with the current roster
Q: AC member mentioned last year's forum on raises, doesn't understand why some units got more than others, this is linked to morale, retention, and quality of teaching
A: IPC Chair, Jeff Miles: Jeff confirmed this year there will be a move to unified increase
AC Chair, Jeff Becker: We'll ask the Provost for an update on this  
Adjournment by Chair Becker