• Print

March 21, 2013

March 21, 2013
Academic Council Meeting
DUC 211A/B
3:00 - 5:00 PM

MINUTES

Attendance:
Business: W. Ouyang (p), S. Wheeler (p)
Conservatory: F. Hsiao (a), B. Phillips (a)
College: M. Bates (p), C. Goff (p), B. Herrin (a), J. Juge (p), C. Lehmann (p), J. Lu (p), L. Rademacher (a), A. Smith (a), C. Snell (p), B. Swagerty (p), L. Wrischnik (p)
Dental: J. Miles (a), A. Nattestad (a), R. White (a)
Education: H. Arnold (p), T. Nelson (p), L. Webster (p)
Emeriti: R. di Franco (p)
Engineering: C. Lee (p), D. Cliburn (p)
Law: L. Carter (a), F. Galves (p), W. Jones (a)
Library: R. Imhof (a)
PHS: L. Boles (a), S. Carr-Lopez (p), J. Ward-Lonergan (p), C. Wilson (p)
SIS: A. Kanna (a)
ASUOP: K. Dantzler (p), tbd
Ex-Officio: P. Eibeck (a), M. Pallavicini (p), B. Gundersen (a), D. Neault (p)
Guests: P. Ciccollela, Q. Dong, D. Hemenway, K. Juarez, L. Matz, G. Pearson, B. Shaw

Call to Order 3:10 pm

I. Approval of Consent Agenda
A. February 14, 2013 Minutes
B. Academic Affairs
i. New Program Proposal Review Process and Intent Form
ii. Honor Code and Disability Statement Template
C. Faculty Representative for service on the AVP Enrollment Management Selection
Committee: Eric Boyce, Pharmacy and Edie Sparks, COP
C. Lehmann moves to approve, F. Galves seconds, motion passes.

II. Reports
A. Chairperson's Report - Harriett Arnold
i. New Faculty Development Activities for spring 2013 - A luncheon was held with first and second year faculty which included a presentation by Carol Brodie regarding internal funding opportunities. The next meeting will be with the Promotion & Tenure Committee.
ii. Staff Advisory Council Report on Summer Hours has been provided to the cabinet and the President with their recommendations. The report is extensive (25 pages) and includes quantitative and qualitative data. The recommendation is to continue Summer Hours at both the Stockton and McGeorge campuses. The Dental School does not observe summer hours. There were over 500 respondents to their survey and they also met with focus groups. They have submitted four alternatives in the report. The provost provided the Dean's comments to the report: they would like the decision to be made quickly to avoid further disruption; either regular hours or a shorter time frame for summer hours, i.e. July 1 through August 15; consensus among the Deans that beginning summer hours in May is highly disruptive; concerns about inequities among programs/schools where there are year-round programs; a university-wide program does not work for all schools; summer hours may not be practical as our service to adult learners may be impacted since they will need service later in the day; less of an issue with schools, but more of an issue with central services such as human resources, financial aid, bursar, etc.; the Dean's do not universally support summer hours, but prefer alternative A, and would like the timeframe shortened to begin in June or July through the middle of August at the latest, in order to be able to meet the needs of orientation. The four recommendations were announced.
Kristina Juarez, chairperson of the Staff Advisory Council stated that the full report is available on-line under the Staff Advisory Council webpage. Academic Council will place the report on our Sakai site as well. The SAC wants to improve the program, not eliminate it.
iii. Spring All-Faculty Meeting was held February 26, 2013, at the Dental School in San Francisco. H. Arnold , M. Bates, R. Imhof and the Provost were in San Francisco for the meeting. The meeting was well attended with 45 faculty at the Dental School, 25 in Stockton and 6 in Sacramento. President Eibeck's presentation on the budget produced various questions which have been submitted to the President and the others are in today's agenda packet. The spring all-faculty meeting was in Sacramento last year and Council would like to continue to alternate between the two locations in the future.
iv. President's Advisory Committee Meeting: February and March, 2013
The primary topic has been presentations on Investing in our Future, and the introduction of looking at prioritization. Members of the PAC were asked to read Prioritizing Academic Programs and Services by Robert Dickeson. They are discussing the text and reviewing the key elements of prioritization.
v. Academic Affairs/Student Life Committee of the Board of Regents and the Academic Council Meeting will be held next Thursday, March 28 in DUC 211 at 2:00pm - All AC members are invited to attend this meeting. The regents are looking at their fiduciary responsibilities for the university. They are in the process of revising/updating their outdated bylaws. Connie Callahan, chair of the Academic Affairs/Student Life Committee will present a more detailed description of their responsibilities. The provost will send out a draft and cover letter prior to the meeting with the Regent's Committee.

B. President's Report - Pam Eibeck
President Eibeck is unable to attend today.

C. Provost's Report - Maria Pallavicini
Congratulations to the men's and women's basketball teams. There will be a viewing at the Lair at 11 on Friday and the Women's game is at 7 pm at Spanos Center. The Wynton Marsalis concert is also on Friday - part of the Brubeck Festival. Various university academic programs are being reviewed. ESL (English as a Second Language) a university-wide program, is this program achieving and conforming to best practices, what is the cost? A task force will present on April 15. The task force is comprised of Administrators from Student Life and Lou Matz from the Provost's Office. There is also a task force on Academic and Career Advising which is looking at best practices and the role of the faculty and the Career Center in relation to advising. They will review what Pacific is doing compared to our peers. Several of our peers have coordinated advising programs. A survey is currently being designed. A preliminary report will also be presented on April 15. There is also a task force looking at our fundamental skills courses. A proposal is being put forward to eliminate reading and adding a supplemental course but there are budget implications. We also need to improve our fundamental skills course in writing, and anticipate addressing the math course next year. Last year the P&T committee made recommendations to improve the process and PRC has reviewed and made comments, which were sent to the Provost. She has forwarded the package to legal counsel for review. The goal is to make the process very clear to faculty, department chairs and Deans, and also to put in place a clear message regarding confidentiality. The provost and the Deans will no longer be a standing member of this committee as they are already involved in this process by virtue of their positions. The provost did not attend meetings this year and instead received transmittal memos from the committee. Dean Rena Fraden is chairing the search committee for Rob Alexander's former position. Per the search committee, the title may need to be upgraded to Associate Vice provost/Vice Provost for Enrollment Management. We are outside of the recruiting cycle right now, and are not expecting to interview until July. Tim Naccarato from the Law School is the interim replacement. She has received applications for the CTL Director position, but they are still in process of constituting this search committee. The Strategic Planning Committee was tasked by the President to develop the process for prioritization of academic and co-curricular programs. They will have a retreat this week and use the principles from the Dickeson book, which outlines criteria, scoring, recommendations, and relative weights of categories. She anticipates that at the end of the retreat the criteria will be established and there will be a template ready for use by the units/programs. They will also be looking at the type of data that will need to be provided to the units to support the criteria. We should expect it to be more straightforward for the academic programs, than for co-curricular programs. This should be ready to distribute the second week in April university-wide and comments will be made to the President .
Faculty asked the question, Since you are using one source book, were others looked at? What is the criteria? They did not look at other models, this is the universal model that is currently being used at other universities as well. Faculty is welcome to look at the book in the provost's office.

III. Information Items
A. Title IX Concerns - Courtney Lehmann & Gene Pearson
Gene and Courtney are long-time members of the Athletic Advisory Board. They have two primary concerns based on recent Pacific Athletics decisions: the addition of men's soccer and the double counting of female athletes to be in compliance with Title IX; and the ratio of male head coaches to female head coaches. The goal is to make Council aware of the challenges in Athletics and have Pacific be more attentive to gender equity issues going forward. The decisions made are irreversible and they are not suggesting that this be done. But they are asking, "Could Pacific embrace the spirit of Title IX and not just comply with the strict letter of the law?"

University's have to meet the proportionality standard. Currently we have 52% female athletes to 48% male athletes. And we meet the proportionality standard because the overall student ratio at Pacific is 53% to 47%. Due to the change of Conference (west coast), we were mandated to add men's soccer. This addition causes a shift in our numbers, so we are adding women's sand volleyball and women's track. The female athletes participating in indoor volleyball and cross-country will be double counted for these new sports. The concern is that these be quality programs. Nine new scholarships are being added for Men's Soccer, yet none for the two new women's programs. There are concerns regarding facilities and expecting indoor volleyball players to play on a very different surface. Also an issue with safe and consistent transportation for the track team which will be practicing at Delta College. Before the passage of Title IX, there were no female faculty in the School of Business and the School of Engineering. We now have 15 female faculty in these two schools. For athletics, we had two women's sports and each had a part-time female coach. We now have 11 women's sports teams and two female head coaches (one full-time and one part-time). There has been no proportional increase. We are near the bottom in the west coast conference for number of women coaches.

Title IX was passed in 1972. Council discussed academic stress on the student athletes who will participate in two seasons now, the percentage of two sport athletes of women versus men, also compared to other schools, does everyone double-count? Currently 61% of athletic scholarships are for women. What can academic council do next? A suggestion was made to either create a task for or prepare a memo to Ted Leland asking what he is doing to ensure a diverse hiring pool and to obtain a better understanding of the Athletic Director's process and practices.

B. Degree Completion Initiative (Barbara Shaw & Courtney Lehmann)
This project has been in the works for over 2 years and they have been working closely with Ann Gillen, registrar. They have the support of the GE committee and Academic Affairs. This is a strategic re-bundling of what we already do with our online courses. This is going to be marketed to students who have left the university with 12 or fewer units needed to graduate. It is envisioned as outreach - to bring students back to Pacific, and as a service. The provost raised the question, What prevents a student who is about to graduate to go this route and pay less tuition? They are looking at students who have already left the university. This could have revenue impact to the university. They need to be very careful about the communication that is going out to recruit. As of January 1st, the registrar's office is documenting why the student has left - or what they are lacking for graduation once they leave. This could be a geographically diverse population - and adult learners. This could also generate more alumni - looking to reconnect with these students. This will be piloted in the college with students that only need electives and students that only need GE's (except for IIIA category). Students lacking Major requirements will be referred to their advisors. There is also a possibility of creating a PACS3 on-line course with Pharmacy. They are welcome to return to Council in the future to provide an update.

C. Faculty Elections 2013 (Chair-Elect)
Call for nominations: Ongoing
Ballot released: April 3
Voting ends: April 17
All voting faculty should have received an email with a survey monkey link to the call for nominations for faculty committees. He stressed the importance of faculty's involvement in governing the university. He is concerned that apathy is reaching record highs at points, and finds this astonishing considering the announcement of the $15 million re-allocation. Although service is a small part of the requirements for Promotion & Tenure, faculty must be willing to actively participate and serve.

Secondarily, the debate team has been in the national top 20 rankings for the last eight years, and recently placed 14th in the country. The NIT version of debate is here on campus beginning tomorrow. There will be 1000 students on campus from 56 schools from across the country in the competition. Pacific has been hosting this event for the last 10 years. The Irish National Debate Champions will be at the Stockton Hilton tomorrow and is open to the public. This is a year-long season for about 20 Pacific students. We should provide more support for this academic team.

D. Questions (and answers) from All-Faculty Meeting Spring 2013
The questions submitted from all three campuses at the all-faculty meeting have been gathered and distributed. C. Goff provided a response to the ratio question regarding tenured faculty to administrators. He met with M. Rogers from Institutional Research and identified some statistics but the results are not consistent. He believes that Ipeds data is reported differently from various institutions. Regarding the ratio of tenured/tenured track faculty to administrators with faculty status (provost, assistant provosts, deans), we have more administrators than our peers. But the ratio of total number of tenured/tenure track faculty to the total number of executive level staff (includes the prior and vp's/asst. vp's), we are below our peers. We don't have a clear picture at this point. He is going to meet with R. diFranco, a faculty member from the conservatory and M. Rogers to review the data. He noted that in the future the data from Ipeds should be more refined. Pacific has a lot of tenured faculty versus the amount at other institutions. Some of the questions from the meeting were forwarded to President Eibeck for response.

E. IPC Liaison Report - Peg Ciccolella
Peg presented a preliminary draft of a handout prepared by IPC and is asking that is be kept confidential since it's not a final document. At the February 26 forum, the president indicated that she wanted IPC to meet with the Council of Deans to begin to make recommendations on the process for the reallocation of $15 million. This document is the result of two meetings. The framework used to develop the process is the president's letter "framing our future." Assumptions: Not going to pierce divisional level; the recommendations would be fairly general; the $15 million reallocation funds will be based on FY 15 unrestricted base budgets; and they could not assess the impacts, because they don't have the information necessary to do that. The IPC identified four exemptions to the reallocation: Debt service, liability/casualty insurance, McGeorge School of Law, Academic clinics with patient care. Peg reviewed the memo including divisional contributions, prioritization and assessment by divisional leaders, specific recommendations for the President and divisional leaders and timelines. Per the Student Town Hall meeting with the President, they (students) are asking to be more actively engaged in the process. A statement is going to be added to the document regarding transparency and communication with the entire university community.

IV. Action Items
A. FHB Addition 6.3.10 Institutional Effectiveness Committee
D. Hemenway submitted this request and is requesting that this two-year pilot committee now be made a permanent joint faculty/administrative committee. The charge/role is to work on the process of program review, with the goal of improving programs, student success, and program quality. Academic Affairs is charged with ensuring the quality of academic programs. Membership is appointed faculty, not elected . Some of the questions that were raised during the discussion were: What is the relationship of the IEC with the Assessment Working Group and the faculty that is actually doing the program reviews? This is an ongoing issue. The IEC is responsible for the Annual Report process, and they will collect the basic assessment information. Faculty need to be doing assessment, not administrators. Additional questions were, Who is responsible for looking at peer institutions during program review? This is part of the new guidelines, external reviewers are now part of the process. Are there resources for this? Yes. A comment that the spirit of the proposal is good, but there is an issue with the mechanics: how often the committee meets and the two year term. It should be at least three years. Spirit is good, but mechanics - have issues. How often would this committee meet and is the two-year term long enough? Shouldn't it be longer? Yes, he is open to having three-year terms. The committee meets 2x/month for 1 hour each. A final question raised was, How does this committee interact with Academic Affairs? The IEC is involved with the process, but Academic Affairs should assess the quality of the program, as described in the program review. D. Hemenway has implemented a five page executive summary for the President and Provost to review.

Chris Goff moves to approve with the recommendation to increase the terms of faculty and staff to three-year staggered terms, S. Carr-Lopez seconds, motion passes with one opposed and two abstentions.

B. FHB Revision 12.3 Course Syllabus
Qingwen Dong presented this revision to the handbook. The graduate studies committee is proposing a change to the course syllabus requirements to mirror the undergraduate requirements. Additionally, they have provided a recommended syllabus template. The 13 items are required to be on the syllabus, but the template is recommended, not required. The suggested recommendation is to follow Bloom's Taxonomy . A concern was raised regarding the inclusion of program outcomes and university-wide learning outcomes on every syllabus. The two should be separated in the requirements, but should be included as WASC asks for this data and we need to know what courses meet which learning objectives. Regarding the law school, this would apply to the Masters in Law, not the professional degree courses. Although this doesn't apply to the law school, a group of law professors object to requiring such information due to academic freedom concerns and what will be done with the required information. There is also a concern about the amount of ‘visual traffic' on the course syllabi. Perhaps a different document could be created for the reporting information. The provost stated that this is an accountability issue to our students.

M. Bates moves to approve, W. Ouyang seconds, after discussion it was determined that there is no longer a quorum, therefore action cannot be taken due to lack of a quorum.

C. FHB Revision 12.17 Graduate Credit as Undergraduate - item removed from agenda prior to meeting.

D. Benerd School of Education PhD Educational Psychology Program -Disestablishment 

This item was tabled due to lack of a quorum.

V. What's On Your Mind?
Pat Cavanuagh and Marcus Perrot have been invited to the May meeting to discuss bookstore issues.

Adjournment