August 30 2005
University of the Pacific
Minutes, August 30, 2005
Tower Conference Room
Call to Order: 2:13
Present: Brodnick, Byl, Chi, Ensign, Frederick, Gilbertson, King, Kreitzman, Lackey, Miller, Perro, Royce-Davis, Sexton, Spreer
Not Present: Brennan, Cavanaugh, Sina
Minutes: Minutes of the July 12, meeting were reviewed and approved.
Current Agenda Items:
Summary of Distinctiveness and Program Review Discussions
Brodnick distributed a summary of the discussions along with the five priorities presented by the President which are:
- Develop a University-wide, collaborative process that identifies and communicates the outcome of the retreat framed by a single model that combines balance and distinction among Pacific's programs
- Affirm Pacific's mission statement through the expansion of interdisciplinary programs, attention to student leadership/citizenship development, and a continued commitment to international education
- Strengthen plans to advance diversity at the University
- Develop a financial plan that generates adequate resources to make needed investments, increasing tuition on par with private comparables without increasing the tuition discount
- Review the undergraduate admission process to assure that selection is informed by attributes in addition to SAT/GPA scores
The document summarized the discussions of distinctiveness and provided examples and characteristics of distinctive programs. Also included were the results of conversations considering changes to the program review process that show that the university community is generally supportive of change.
Update on Administrative Retreat on Saturday, September 10
An administrative retreat will take place in September and an academic retreat in October. The September retreat will be held in Grace Covell Hall. One purpose will be to begin to bridge together university planning and unit planning.
Budget Assumptions and Planning Guidelines, draft 2 (including budget calendar and cover letter)
Brodnick will update and Perro will distribute to budget managers.
Next meeting: September 13, 2005, 2-4pm
Meeting adjourned at 3:18