January 11 2005
University of the Pacific
Minutes, January 11, 2005
Taylor Conference Room
Call to Order: 3:08
Present: Cavanaugh, Chi, Ensign, Fries, Gilbertson, Hoverstad, Jacobson, King, Lackey, Meer, Miller, Perro, Richmond, Sexton, Sina
Not Present: Brodnick, Dugoni
Special Guest: Lisa Dobbins
Minutes: Minutes of the December 21 meeting were approved.
Cash sales from the Summit on Thursday, 1/13, will be donated to the Tsunami Relief Fund, according to Sina.
Current Agenda Items:
Budget Presentation: Academic, cont.
Miller presented the budget request for the General Education Program with the focus on Mentor Seminar. There are 3 focal points:
- Program administration: a full time director is needed. Presently, a full-time Associate Dean for General Ed was appointed which created a faculty vacancy in Philosophy.
- Mentor Seminar staffing: 7-9 new full time faculty are needed to be on track.
- Faculty development training: Gilbertson stressed that Mentor I & II are very difficult classes to teach. Full time tenure-track faculty are needed.
Mentor Seminar is a very unique program. The department is anticipating 106 sections and the goal is to have no more than 20-25 students in a class. The program represents one of the most fully interdisciplinary programs on campus. The following are the expectations:
- Revitalized and refocused Mentor Seminar Series
- Higher (80%) participation of tenure-track faculty in the Mentor Seminar Series
- Continued participation by professional school faculty in the Mentor Seminar Series
- More vigorous and innovative development opportunities for General Education faculty
- More streamlined and interconnected path requirement model
- Continued refinement of program-wide student learning outcomes assessment strategy
Budget Presentation: Technology
According to Frederick, the focus of the Office of Information Technology this year is sustainability. The top ten IT issues for FY05-06 are:
- Funding IT
- Administrative/ERP/Information Systems
- Security and Identity Management
- Strategic Planning for IT
- Faculty Development, Support and Training
- Infrastructure Management for IT
- E-Learning/Distributed Teaching and Learning
- Web Services/Enterprise Level Portals
- Business Continuity
- Government, Organization and Leadership for IT
As of February 1, OIT will have a security officer.
Next meeting: January 25, 2005, 3-5pm
Meeting adjourned at 4:58