IT Security Services
There is an increased reliance on digital information and the technologies that support it in virtually every aspect of the educational, research, and administrative processes of higher education, which has brought with it an increasing level of responsibility to protect these information assets from accidental or malicious exposure or damage. On top of this are new initiatives for security in Grant environments, Federal Regulations such as HIPAA, FERPA, GLBA that all have required much more stringent guidelines for security. Often, the number of assets potentially at risk outweighs the resources available to manage them. It is therefore extremely important to know where to apply available resources to mitigate risk in a cost-effective and efficient manner.
The ITSO provides the following security services the Pacific community:
The ITSO offers SSL certificate management and procurement services for University systems and applications, at no cost to the respective department/unit. System and Application Administrators interested in obtaining an SSL certificate for their service need only contact the ITSO to request the subission form and authentication information.
A Firewall Assessment is the review and analysis of firewall configuration and access rules.
Network Firewall Port Open Requests
- Network Firewall Port Open Request Form may be obtained from your local TSP , the HelpDesk, the IT Security Office (ITSO), or by direct download here: Network Firewall Port Open Request (Word or PDF).
- Requester completes the Requester Data section.
- With the assistance of your local TSP or the HelpDesk, complete the Port Open Request Detail section.
- Send (electronically or hard copy) the completed and signed document to your local TSP or the HelpDesk.
- Your local TSP or the HelpDesk will create the service request ticket and will attach an electronic copy of the Network Firewall Port Open Request Form to the ticket.
- Your local TSP or the HelpDesk will assign the request to the ITSO.
- ITSO will review the request and conduct a security review of the related system prior to authorization. Note: All discovered vulnerabilities must be addressed by requester or TSP prior to ITSO authorization.
- All port open requests will be processed in accordance with the Pacific Technology Change Control maintenance windows.
A security review is a process that includes asset identification and classification, vulnerability and threat identification, and controls safeguarding electronic resources and information assets
A vulnerability assessment is the process of evaluating a system or network for common vulnerabilities and weaknesses.
Approximate Request Timeline
Typically requests take one business week to process and implement from the time your local TSP or the HelpDesk enters the service request to when the firewall port(s) are modified. Actual implementation times may vary depending on, but not limited to, identified risks and remediation, Pacific Technology maintenance windows, and University change freeze periods (i.e. registration week, finals week, commencement, etc.).
For more information or to request these services, please contact the IT Security Office at 209-946-7740.