Pacific Men's Tennis: Pacific Pounces Pilots For 6-1 Win
The Pacific mens tennis team swept all but one match in their 6-1 win over Portland Saturday afternoon, improving to 6-10 overall this season.
The Tigers cleaned house in doubles play, starting with junior Artem Gramma (Krivoj Roj, Ukraine) and sophomore Ivan Castro (Guarulhos, Brazil) at the No. 1 position. The pair dominated Filip Zivkovic and Bryan Thorp en route to an 8-2 win.
Castro continued his incredible play in singles. Zipping to a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Thorp at the No. 2 position, he finished before the other matches hit their first break in the second set. Castro improved to 10-6 overall with the win.
Gramma fought hard for his win over Zivkovic at the No. 1 position. After dropping the first set 6-3, he battled back to earn a 6-2 decision in set two. Gramma eventually pulled out an emotionally charged third set, 6-3, to improve to 10-7 this spring.
The Tigers stay home next week to face off against Big West rival No. 53 UC Irvine on April 17 at 11 a.m. It will be Pacifics first matchup against a ranked opponent since their 4-3 loss to No. 32 Denver back on March 28.
PACIFIC MEN'S TENNIS
Pacific 6, Portland 1
Saturday, April 10, 2010
Stockton, Calif. - 3 p.m.
1. Gramma/Castro def. Zivkovic/Thorp (POR) 8-2
2. Veskimagi/Paaro def. Coelho/Pigou (POR) 8-4
3. Delsin/Ristow def. Hernandez/Wales (POR) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Artem Gramma def. Filip Zivkovic (POR) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. Ivan Castro def. Bryan Thorp (POR) 6-1, 6-2
3. Renan Delsin def. Geoff Hernandez (POR) 6-4, 7-5
4. Vegerd Veskimagi def. Daniel Coelho (POR) 6-3, 6-4
5. Mike Pigou (POR) def. Chase Oliphant (PAC) 6-4, 6-4
6. Karl-Erik Paaro def. Jackson Martin (POR) 6-4, 6-3*
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 6*, 5, 3, 1
* Clinched win