Pacific Men's Tennis: Pacific Falters Against San Francisco; Falls 4-2
Brazilian newcomers sophomore Ivan Garcia-Castro (Mogi das Cruzes, Sao Paulo, Brazil) and Fernando Ristow (Curitaba, Brazil) accounted for the Tigers two wins.
Garcia-Castro (1-2 in singles) earned his first win in the Orange and Black playing out of the No. 2 position. After grabbing the first set over Asaf Cohen 6-2, Garcia-Castro cruised to a 6-0 set two win to tie the dual match at 1-1. Ristow gave Pacific the lead after downing Rainer Nachbauer 6-4, 6-4 at the No. 3 position.
But the Dons (2-3) pulled out the remaining matches to earn the win.
Pacific will have over a week to prepare for its next opponent, as it takes on Saint Marys on Feb. 21. The match is set for 12 p.m. on the Timothy Korth Tennis Complex in Moraga, Calif.
NCAA MENS TENNIS
San Francisco 4, Pacific 2
Friday, February 12, 2010
San Francisco, Calif.
Wet conditions forced teams to forgo doubles action and begin with singles play.
1. Thai Tu (USF) def. No.108 Artem Gramma (PAC), 6-4, 6-0
2. Ivan Garcia Castro (PAC) def. Asaf Cohen (USF), 6-2, 6-0
3. Fernando Ristow (PAC) def. Rainer Nachbauer (USF), Pacific 6-4, 6-4
4. Mark De Castro def. Vigard Veskimaji (PAC) USF 6-4, 6-3
5. Ola Bakke (USF) def. Karl Paaro (PAC), 6-3, 6-1
6. Jacob Hartwig (USF) def. Chase Oliphant (PAC), 6-1, 6-2