Pacific men's tennis: Injury Causes Pacific To Drop Home And Conference Opener To UC Davis, 4-3
The No. 71 ranked Pacific men's tennis team started their home schedule and Big West Conference play off strong, but were derailed by injury as UC Davis came away with a close 4-3 win over the Tigers on Saturday, January 30. The loss dropped the Tigers to 0-2 on the season and 0-1 in the conference while the Aggies improved to 1-0 overall and in the conference.
Pacific picked up the first point of the afternoon with wins at both No. 2 and No. 3 doubles to take their first doubles point of the season. The team of junior Artem Gramma (Krivoj Roj, Ukraine) and sophomore Ivan Garcia-Castro (Guarulhos, Sao Paulo, Brazil) got the Tigers started after picking up their first doubles victory of the season, defeating Lee and Amaroli of UC Davis, 8-3. Sophomore Karl-Erik Paaro (Tallinn, Estonia) and senior Renan Delsin (Santa Cruz da Conceicao, Brazil) finished off the point for the Tigers with their first doubles win of the year, an 8-6 win over Coates and Sherbakov.
Up 1-0, the Tigers looked to close out the match in singles action picking up points at No. 1 and No. 4 singles to get within one point of the win. Gramma continued his hot start with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Nick Lopez to move to 2-0 on the year at No. 1 singles while senior Vegerd Veskimagi (Saku, Estonia) picked up his first singles win of the year to give the Tigers their three points. Closing in on the win, the Tigers jumped out to leads in three other singles matches as they took the first set at No. 2, No. 3 and No. 6 singles, only to see the Aggies rally to steal victories in those matches. The most devastating for the Tigers came at No. 2 singles where Garcia-Castro was forced to retire early in the third set due to injury, handing the Aggies a free point, putting them over the top for the victory.The Tigers will be back in action on Friday, February 12, in San Francisco, Calif. when they take on the Dons of USF. Match time is scheduled for 12:00 pm.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
Jan. 30, 2010 - Stockton, Calif.
UC Davis 4, No. 71 Pacific 3
1. Lee/Lopez (UCD) def. Veskimagi/Ristow (PAC), 8-5
2. Gramma/Garcia-Castro (PAC) def. Lee/Amaroli (UCD), 8-3
3. Paaro/Delsin (PAC) def. Coates/Sherbakov (UCD), 8-6
1. No. 103 Artem Gramma (PAC) def. Nick Lopez (UCD), 6-3, 6-4
2. Chris Aria (UCD) def. Ivan Garcia-Castro (PAC), 2-6, 7-6 (8-6) 2-1 (ret. injury)
3. Toki Sherbakov (UCD) def. Fernando Ristow (PAC), 5-7, 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
4. Vegerd Veskimagi (PAC) def. Hunter Lee (UCD), 6-4, 6-1
5. Tyler Lee (UCD) def. Karl-Erik Paaro (PAC), 6-4, 6-1
6. Connor Coates (UCD) def. Renan Delsin (PAC), 5-7, 6-2, 6-1