Pacific Men's Tennis: No. 71 Tigers Suffer A 6-1 Loss To No. 46 Fresno State To Start 2010
Starting out the match, the Tigers dropped the first point of the afternoon in doubles action after Fresno State picked up all three matches between the two teams. The Tigers in their first match of the season, tested out new teams in doubles action that were unused in fall tournament play.
After falling behind 1-0 match scores, the Tigers looked to get back on track in singles action. Pacific would tie the match at 1-1 with a win in the first singles match of the day as junior Artem Gramma (Krivoj Roj, Ukraine), ranked No. 103 in the country, easily dispatched Mirko Zapletal at in the No. 1 singles match. Gramma dropped just one game in the two set match to pick up his first win of the season and first win as a ranked singles player.
Back to even, the Tigers were unable to use Gramma's success to take control of the match as the Bulldogs asserted themselves throughout the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center, handing Pacific losses in each of the remaining five singles matches to capture the match. Pacific's closest chance to take another singles match came at No. 2 singles when freshman Ivan Garcia-Castro (Guarulhos, Sao Paulo, Brazil) forced a tie-breaker in the second set, only to fall 7-3 in the tie-breaking game to drop the match to Rikus de Villiers despite playing in his first ever collegiate match.
Pacific will be back in action on Saturday, January 30, as the Tigers begin Big West Conference play with a match against Northern California rival, UC Davis. The two teams will square off at the Hal Nelson Tennis Courts at 11:00 am.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
Jan. 27, 2010 - Fresno, Calif.
No. 46 Fresno State 6, No. 71 Pacific 1
1. No. 20 Zapletal/Leiby (FS) def. Veskimagi/Ristow (PAC), 8-3
2. No. 36 Boutillier/de Villiers (FS) def. Gramma/Garcia-Castro (PAC), 8-2
3. Alapati/Veerepalli (FS) def. Paaro/Delsin (PAC), 8-3
Order of Completion: 2, 3, 1
1. No. 103 Artem Gramma (PAC) def. Mirko Zapletal (FS), 6-1, 6-0
2. Rikus de Villiers (FS) def. Ivan Garcia-Castro (PAC), 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
3. Remi Boutillier (FS) def. Fernando Ristow (PAC), 6-3, 6-4
4. Tejesvi Veerepalli (FS) def. Vegerd Veskimagi (PAC), 6-2, 6-3
5. No. 83 David Ayoun (FS) def. Karl-Erik Paaro (PAC), 6-2, 6-2
6. Siddharth Alapati (FS) def. Renan Delsin (PAC), 7-5, 6-2
Order of Completion: 1, 5, 4, 2*, 3, 6