Pacific Women's Tennis: Strong Start Not Enough as Pacific Falls to Fresno State 4-3
We were right there but just couldnt finish, said Head Coach Bob Chiene.
Junior Jenifer Widjaja (Sao Roque, Brazil) and senior Sasha Fisher (Southampton, Bermuda) tied the doubles matches at one a piece by defeating Melissa McQueen and Renata Kucerkova 8-4 in the No. 1 position. But it was junior Olga Gumenyuk (Kiev, Ukraine) partnered with freshman Christina Goehl (Karlsruhe, Germany) who earned the deciding point by outlasting Julia Gragera-Cano and Anna Mikhailova at the No. 3 position 9-8 (7-3). Down 5-7 the pair fought back and forced the tie-break that allowed them to win.
No. 91 Widjaja improved her singles win streak to five by defeating Kucerkova in straight sets (6-2, 6-2) at the No. 1 position. She now boasts an 11-3 singles record for the spring season and is 22-7 for the year.
Fisher pushed the Tigers lead to 3-0 with a win in No. 6 singles over Mikhailova in straight sets (6-3, 6-2).
But after Pacific dropped the next three singles matches, Goehls match at the No. 2 position would decide the nights winner. She came back and forced a third set tie-break against Laura Pola. However, her rally stopped short and she fell 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4) to end the match.
Christina had a match point on the opponents serve but just couldnt get it, Chiene added. It was a four hour match that literally came down to one point.
Pacific finally returns home after nearly a month and a half on the road. The Tigers will face Big West rival Cal State Fullerton on March 28 at 11 a.m. as the first of six straight home contests. They are 1-3 against conference opponents this season.
NCAA WOMENS TENNIS
Fresno State 4, Pacific 3
March 20, 2010 6 p.m.
1. Fisher/Widjaja (PAC) def. McQueen/Kucerkova (FS), 8-4
2. Pola/Modoc (FS) def. Hansen/Irvin (PAC), 8-3
3. Gumenyuk/Goehl (PAC) def. Gragera-Cano/Mikhailova (FS), 9-8 (7-3)
Order of Completion: 2, 1, 3
1. No. 91 Jenifer Widjaja (PAC) def. Renata Kucerkova (FS), 6-2, 6-2
2. Laura Pola (FS) def. Christina Goehl (PAC), 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Bianca Modoc (FS) def. Julia Hansen (PAC), 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
4. Melissa McQueen (FS) def. Olga Gumenyuk (PAC), 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. Julia Gragera-Cano (FS) def. Kateryna Nezhura (PAC), 7-5, 6-4
6. Sasha Fisher (PAC) def. Anna Mikhailova (FS), 6-3, 6-2
Order of Completion: 1, 6, 3, 4, 5, 2*