Pacific Men's Tennis: Pacific Upsets No. 70 Marquette, 4-3
Junior Artem Gramma (Krivoj Roj, Ukraine) and sophomore Ivan Castro (Mogi das Cruzes, Brazil) continued their stellar performance at the No. 2 doubles position, coasting to an 8-2 win over Mark Rutherford and Jonathan Schwerin. The pair have won four of their last five matches.
Pacific headed into singles play down 1-0 after dropping the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles.
Castro earned his fifth straight singles win by defeating Rutherford at the No. 2 position (6-2, 6-3) to tie the match at 1-1. Gramma, playing out of the No. 1 position, gave Pacific the lead (2-1) after upsetting No. 84 Dusan Medan 6-2, 6-4.
After Marquette tied the match for a second time with a win at the No. 6 position, senior Renan Delsin (Santa Cruz da Conceicao, Brazil) continued to battle with Jacob Straus at the No. 4 position. Delsin rebounded from a 6-3 set one loss and outlasted Straus in the tie break to win set two 7-6 (4). He then used the momentum to win set three (6-3) and take the match, giving the Tigers the lead back (3-2).
Junior Fernando Ristow (Curitiba, Brazil) secured Pacifics upset of the Golden Eagles. Playing at the No. 3 position, Ristow defeated Niko Boulieris (6-4, 3-6, 5-7) for his third straight singles victory this season.
The Tigers continue play at the tournament, facing host No. 71 UNLV at 10 a.m. on Saturday, March 6.
Pacific Mens Tennis at UNLV Tournament
Pacific 4, No. 70 Marquette 3
Friday, March 05, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
1. Dusan Medan/Jacob Straus (MU) def. Veskimagi/Paaro (PAC) 8-6
2. Gramma/Castro (PAC) def. Mark Rutherford/Jonathan Schwerin (MU) 8-2
3. Niko Boulieris/Otavio Perim (MU) def. Delsin/Ristow (PAC) 9-8 (5)
1. Artem Gramma (PAC) def. Dusan Medan (MU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Ivan Castro (PAC) def. Mark Rutherford (MU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Fernando Ristow (PAC) def. Niko Boulieris (MU) 6-4, 3-6, 5-7*
4. Renan Delsin (PAC) def. Jacob Straus (MU) 3-6, 7-6 (4), 6-3
5. Otavio Perim (MU) def. Karl-Erik Paaro (PAC) 5-7, 7-6 (5), 6-3
6. Jonathan Schwerin (MU) def. Vegerd Veskimagi (PAC) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish:
2, 1, 6, 4, 3*, 5