Pacific Men's Tennis: Tigers Finish Tourney on High Note; Down Air Force 6-1
Junior Fernando Ristow (Curitiba, Brazil) and sophomore Karl-Erik Paaro (Tallinn, Estonia) each finished with two wins on the day.
Despite five matches being stretched into third sets, Pacific outlasted the Falcons in singles play dropping only one match. Sophomore Ivan Castro (Mogi das Cruzes, Brazil) was the only athlete to win in straight sets. His defeat of Austin Francis (6-4, 6-0) at the No. 2 position marked the second time this season he was able to shutout an opponent in the second set.
Pacific heads towards the bay next to face No 53 Santa Clara. The match up against the Broncos is set for April 9 at 3 p.m.
PACIFIC MENS TENNIS (at Denver Tournament)
Pacific 6, Air Force 1
Monday, March 29, 2010
Denver, Colo. 9 a.m.
1. Rodgers / Soster (AF) def. Gramma / Castro, 8-6
2. Paaro / Vegerd Veskimagi (UOP) def. Francis / Wilhelm, 8-3
3. Delsin / Ristow (UOP) def. Beaussart / Sam Barnes, 9-7
1. Artem Gramma (UOP) def. Lance Wilhelm, 6-1, 5-7, 7-5
2. Ivan Castro (UOP) def. Austin Francis, 6-4, 6-0
3. Fernando Ristow (UOP) def. Taylor Soster, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
4. Brett Rodgers (AF) def. Renan Delsin, 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
5. Karl-Erik Paaro (UOP) def. Vinni Lodolo, 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
6. Chase Oliphant (UOP) def. Alex Beaussart, 2-6, 6-3, 7-6(1)