• Print

    Pacific Women’s Soccer Falls in Double Overtime to No. 23 Irvine, 1-0

    Oct 1, 2010
    The Pacific women's soccer team stood 100 seconds from their second draw of the year against a ranked opponent, but in the 109th minute, junior CoCo Goodson tallied the golden goal to give No. 23 UC Irvine a 1-0 win Friday night in double-overtime.

    The Tigers (3-5-3, 0-1-0 Big West) were on the cusp of their third-straight clean sheet before Goodson's fourth goal of the year snapped Pacific's shutout streak at 331:26. After a foul, Goodson stood over the restart and ripped a low shot just inside the right post from 28 yards away.

    ""We played hard and played well enough to win. I don't think either team deserved to lose that game. This is a tough one," head coach Keith Coleman said. "It was a very equal game overall: they out-played us in the first half, we out-played them in the second half, overtime was even."

    "We had two really good opportunities... we're getting opportunities. But they found a way to win and you've got to tip your hat to that. Goodson had a well-driven free kick and that's what it boils down to. To give up a goal with a minute and a half left is just heart-breaking."

    The Anteaters, ranked 23rd in the Soccer America Top 25, improve to 9-1-2. Pacific was out-shot 11-9 for the match and 5-4 in shots on goal. The Anteaters posted a 9-0 margin in corner kicks for the match.

    UC Irvine had the majority of scoring chances in the first half, posting five shots to the Tigers one, but redshirt senior Jill Medigovich was up to the task, stopping Tanya Taylor in the 37th minute.

    In the second half, freshman Tashia Long took over in net - as part of the Tigers' goalkeeper platoon - and recorded three second-half saves, as well a big save in the second overtime off a shot from Mar Rodriguez in the 106th minute.

    Forward Laura Hogan had the Tigers best scoring chance, as she found a bouncing loose ball in the 57th minute but chipped it over the net from six yards away.

    Five minutes later, Hogan's shot was blocked by UC Irvine keeper Danielle de Seriere. In the 71st minute, de Seriere denied Lauren Olvera's attempt, and in the 87th minute, Nydia Ramos' shot was saved. In the first overtime period, sophomore Maricela Padilla, but again de Seriere was up to the challenge. The Anteaters' senior finished with four saves on the night.

    The Tigers road trip continues Sunday at Cal State Northridge with a 1 p.m. kickoff.