Pacific Men's Basketball To Be A Part Of 2012 Anaheim Classic
The Pacific men's basketball team has been selected to play in the 2012 Anaheim Classic. The event will be held Thanksgiving weekend, Thursday, Friday and Sunday, Nov. 22, 23 & 25, at the Anaheim (Calif.) Convention Center, adjacent to Disneyland.
The tournament field features six teams that competed in the 2012 postseason - Cal, Saint Mary's and Xavier (NCAA), Drexel (NIT) and Drake and Rice (CollegeInsider.com), along with Pacific and Georgia Tech.
"We are excited about participating in the Anaheim Classic and to play against some outstanding schools," said head coach Bob Thomason. "It will help us get ready for our final year in the Big West Conference, and may feature a matchup against a future West Coast Conference opponent in Saint Mary's."
It will be Pacific's first appearance in the Anaheim Classic, and would feature the first-ever meetings with Drexel, Georgia Tech and Xavier. The Tigers have history with California (3-27), Drake (2-1), Rice (2-2) and Saint Mary's (41-62).
- No. 10 seed Xavier played through to a South Region Semifinal before dropping a decision to Charleston Classic participant Baylor (No. 3 seed). Head coach Chris Mack has led Xavier to three straight NCAA Championship appearances and two Sweet Sixteen finishes.
- St. Mary's was a No. 7 seed in the Midwest Region and fell to Purdue in the second round. Head coach Randy Bennett had led the Gaels to five straight 25-win seasons
- As a No. 12 seed, Cal participated in a First Four game of the NCAA Championship, falling to USF. Head coach Mike Montgomery has led Cal to the postseason in each of his four seasons in Berkeley including three NCAA appearances.
- Drexel moved on to the quarterfinals of the NIT, falling to UMass, which will play in the 2012 Puerto Rico Tip-Off. Drexel won the Colonial Athletic Association regular-season title and advanced to the finals of the tournament.
- Drake and Rice faced-off in the second round of the CollegeInsiders.com Tournament with Rice advancing and eventually falling to Oakland in the quarterfinals
- In the final ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll, Xavier was ranked No. 24 and Saint Mary's earned votes
The 2012 Anaheim Classic will feature 12 games through three days. Each team will compete in one game per day, advancing through a bracket-tournament format. The two teams that remain undefeated will face off in a championship game Sunday, Nov. 25. The Big West will again serve as the event's sponsoring conference.
The Anaheim Classic is owned and operated by ESPN Regional Television (ERT), a subsidiary of ESPN.
The inaugural event was played in 2007, with USC capturing the title. In year's following, Wake Forest (2008), West Virginia (2009), UNLV (2010) and Saint Louis (2011) were all tournament winners.
Fans can purchase official hotel accommodations and game tickets by going online or by calling 888-632-6951. Additional information can be found on the Anaheim Classic website. For more information on Disneyland Resort, visit www.disneyland.com.