• Print

Tigers Edged By No. 20 UCSD In OT

Mar 3, 2012

No. 20 UC San Diego scored the first three goals of overtime and withheld a late charge as the Pacific women's water polo team fell, 9-8, in overtime Saturday, Mar. 3, as part of the Aggie Shootout at the Schaal Aquatics Center.

"I was really proud of how we played today," head coach Megan Thomson said. "To be down three goals in overtime and to show the kind of fight we did is very encouraging. I thought it was one of the best games we've played this season."

Freshman Taylor Adair led the Tigers with three goals. Sophomores Elise Martin and Malena Prlain added two goals apiece.

Sophomore goalkeeper Michele Relton blocked 10 shots in a complete-game outing.

Both squads set the defensive intensity early, holding each other scoreless during the first quarter. Pacific (8-5) was unable to threaten the Tritons' goalkeeper as UC San Diego (8-7) pressed the Tigers constantly. Pacific equally shut down the Tritons as Relton notched two saves in the first frame, preventing UC San Diego from converting any of its 6-on-5 chances.

The second quarter was a different story as both teams scored three goals in the period. UCSD struck first before Prlain got the Tigers on the scoreboard at the 5:06 mark. Adair gave Pacific a 2-1 lead one minute later, but the Tritons responded with back-to-back goals to regain a one-goal advantage with 1:52 left. Adair recorded her second goal of the quarter at the 1:29 mark, sending the match into halftime tied 3-3.

Martin spotted the Tigers a one-goal lead on a score at the 4:38 mark of the third quarter, but UC San Diego answered with an advantage goal with 3:12 left in the frame. Pacific again took the lead when Martin found senior Brittany Lloyd on a counter-attack at the 1:51 mark. The Tritons managed to even the score at 5-5 on a score with 56 seconds left in the quarter, knotting the game with one quarter left to play.

Pacific scored less than one minute into the fourth quarter on a 6-on-5 goal from Adair, giving her the hat trick. UC San Diego would tie the game for the sixth time with 5:28 remaining on a five-meter goal after junior Callan Rowe was called for a penalty. The two teams failed to score the rest of the way, sending the game into overtime tied at 6-6.

The Tritons wasted no time in the first overtime period, drawing a penalty on freshman Kelsey Carter before converting the five-meter shot to take a 7-6 lead at the 2:43 mark. UCSD scored its second goal of the period with just 47 seconds left, going up by two, 8-6, with one overtime period remaining.

UCSD took a three-goal lead after the Tritons finished an offensive rebound that dropped in front of the cage at the 2:17 mark. Pacific would not go down quietly, however, as the Tigers drew to within two on Prlain's second goal of the day with 1:08 remaining. After Pacific stopped the Tritons, Martin scored with three seconds left to bring the Tigers to within one, 9-8. There was not enough time left to tally an equalizer as UC San Diego held on for the win.

The Tritons were led by three goals from Kristen Bates, two of which came via five-meter shots. Goalkeeper Allie Taylor registered nine saves.

Pacific is back in action Friday, Mar. 16, at the Loyola Marymount Invitational. The Tigers will play four games at the two-day tournament before partaking in the final day of the Aztec Invitational on Sunday, Mar. 18, where they will play a pair of games.

No. 20 UC San Diego 9, Pacific 8 (OT)
UC San Diego 0 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 1 -- 9
Pacific 0 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 0 - 2 -- 8

Pacific - Adair 3, Martin 2, Prlain 2, Lloyd
UC San Diego - Bates 3, Lizotte 2, Bartow, Daniels, Holbrook, Peng

Goalkeeper Saves
Pacific - Relton 10
UC San Diego - 9

Tags for this article: